Thanksgiving sides

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbillyhammer

Reaction score
My wife wonders what kind of side dishes yall cowboy folks are planning for this Thanksgiving. She is wanting to try somethin different. Any suggestions?

Don't know who "yall cowboy folks" means, but we generally have mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, cornbread dressing, green beans, cabbage slaw, cranberry salad, rolls, pink fluff and sweet tea. Probably forgot something but where ya going to put it.... :lol:

Dunno about 'sides' as I let the girls and young folks take care of that but I'm making Mexican meat loaf as my contribution to the big get together as an alternative to poultry and ham.

I'm in charge of the salads for family's meal. Last year I made a tortellini salad with cheese tortellini, broccoli, glory/grape tomatoes, almond slivers, feta cheese, prosciutto, garlic seasoning & Italian dressing. And a Snickers salad with Granny Smith apples, marshmallows, bananas, Snickers (the little ones in the bag), cinnamon, whipped cream with French vanilla pudding mixed in. Evidently they all liked it because that's what they requested again this year.

Making me hungry reading this post... all I can say is that here in Tennessee, you better have some homemade Banana Pudding somewhere on the table! Best served warm of course!

TN Cattle Man":2v2bod8h said:
Making me hungry reading this post... all I can say is that here in Tennessee, you better have some homemade Banana Pudding somewhere on the table! Best served warm of course!

With Vanilla Wafers. Same here in Kentucky.

Dressing, chicken and dumplings, sweet potato soufflé, squash casserole, turnips, macaroni and cheese, rolls, cornbread, pecan pie, chocolate cake, banana pudding, and some form of turkey, usually fried.

According to American Farm Bureau a classic Thanksgiving Dinner for 10 will cost $48.90 this year or $4.89 person.
16 lb turkey @ $21.71 is of course the most expensive item on their menu.
Less than 5 bucks a head seems like a cheap feast to me.

Son of Butch":362ge2p9 said:
According to American Farm Bureau a classic Thanksgiving Dinner for 10 will cost $48.90 this year or $4.89 person.
Harvey's has turkeys for $0.48 a pound, and hams for $0.88. I like turkey and ham but we're spoiled thanks to Jogeephus, we eat CAB prime rib roast cooked slow in the smoker.

True Grit Farms":3ulxe5ov said:
Son of Butch":3ulxe5ov said:
Harvey's has turkeys for $0.48 a pound, and hams for $0.88. I like turkey and ham but we're spoiled thanks to Jogeephus, we eat CAB prime rib roast cooked slow in the smoker.
We poor folks just start with "One old tough hen" and go from there.

TexasBred":3g4yht2x said:
True Grit Farms":3g4yht2x said:
Son of Butch":3g4yht2x said:
We poor folks just start with "One old tough hen" and go from there.
She's doing the cooking.

Cranberry salad, my favorite, then beans and cornbread, deviled eggs and lord knows what else, but those for sure.

snoopdog":370z0glc said:
Cranberry salad, my favorite..
Man, I can easily make myself sick on that stuff....I suggested that this year, we all and each, publicly weigh ourselves before we begin with our traditional Wed night Mexican food feast that lasts well into the night and then weigh again after Thanksgiving dinner. That suggestion did not go over well.

Oyster dressing is the one everybody in our family always looks forward to. Not to mention the noodles and the sweet potato casserole and so on so forth I`m sure you get the idea. Fact is there`s several thing we only have at Thanksgiving that`s what makes it so special.

ROTFL...some clown wrote an article the other day about the worst holiday side dishes imaginable...Mac & Cheese was on his list. :roll:
On a lighter note would love it if you shared the recipes of your favorites.

jd720":1vyltkhy said:
Oyster dressing is the one everybody in our family always looks forward to. Not to mention the noodles and the sweet potato casserole and so on so forth I`m sure you get the idea. Fact is there`s several thing we only have at Thanksgiving that`s what makes it so special.
Same here on the oyster dressing.

I just can't wait to make a leftover burrito Friday. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce and maybe some other stuff all rolled up in a jumbo tortilla.

Latest posts