Latest project

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Latest project

Postby greybeard » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:42 pm

slick4591 wrote:Shed has at least 3 sides. We'd refer to M-5's project as a hay barn.

Yep. Hay and equipment. And a nice one at that.
What people built as a barn in the 1700s...1800s and early 1900s don't much apply in the 21st century.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:53 am

this is the first year i've stored almost all my hay inside. nice feeling not to see it rotting on the ground, tearing it up to get it, and the cows are always happy.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:55 am

I am salvaging what I can off of the other barns to do the ends and hopefully have enough to do the tool room I have planned. Most of it is fat lighter and hard to work with.
2 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:10 am

M-5 wrote:
ddd75 wrote:yea i'd go off the sides with 2x12x18's or 20's. won't cost much more
. I am on a shoestring budget. I guess you forget I lost every structure in the storm. And to date I have around 80k not covered by insurance. So it's what I can afford.

I think you're doing an amazing job. It takes years to recover from a natural (or any) disaster and you're not only rebuilding the structures, you're rebuilding your life.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:38 pm

I think you are doing a great job of recovering also. Congrats on the new building.
1 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:03 pm

The weather has not been been doing me any favors we are at 79" of rain ytd so it's been a couple hours here and there. Got metal on one lean done this afternoon.

6 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:15 am

I notice you got the 5 up first thing! I like that small trailer too, seems it would be very handy.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:56 am

sstterry wrote:I notice you got the 5 up first thing! I like that small trailer too, seems it would be very handy.

I have a lady with a CNC machine that makes signs and wind chimes. This is part of my wife's Christmas.

0 x

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Postby sstterry » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:18 am

I could not make out the M part on the fist picture. Very nice!
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:46 am

M-5 wrote:
sstterry wrote:I notice you got the 5 up first thing! I like that small trailer too, seems it would be very handy.

I have a lady with a CNC machine that makes signs and wind chimes. This is part of my wife's Christmas.

Your becoming a real bigwig. Looks good, now get back to work.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
M-5 wrote:

Your becoming a real bigwig. Looks good, now get back to work.

work keeps getting in the way of work. The days are 2 short also. I guess I need to invest in a light power unit so i can work more into the night.
1 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:41 am

That’s a nice barn/Equipment shed. First thing I noticed was the Flag. I’d like to know where you got the trusses. We used to be able to get used chicken house trusses fairly cheap around here but they are getting hard to find. I need to cover part of the corrals and I think this would be the fastest way.
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:56 am

we have a couple of truss companies here that build them. I bought these from backwoods truss company. they run about 9.00 a ft for the truss . I will have right at 2.70 a sq ft in this one for materials and my labor.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:34 am

power company finally hooked up power to mine yesterday.. of course I was gone so they put a box right beside the driveway at a turn.

GREAT SPOT!!!!! Now when its ran over they can come fix it I guess..
0 x

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:05 pm

Set batter boards yesterday and dug posts. Hung trusses this morning put on metal . Still gotta finish screwing it all off. Finish gables on North end . Some wiring and lights. More fill dirt . Then build a shop on North East end.

1 x

Return to “Tips 'n Tricks”