Latest project

Share knowledge or ideas about doing anything and everything.
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Latest project

Post by JMJ Farms » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:32 pm

Looks real good Dash. I can’t even begin to count the number of pole barns that I’ve built. Mainly for customers. But I’ve never had the opportunity to use the metal trusses. I really like the look of them. And they look like they would be way faster and easier to install than stick built 2x12 trusses. Maybe on the next one I build for myself I will try them out.

Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:54 am

M-5 wrote:Starting to get a few things in order . I built this weekend before last , 4 of us got everything set in 12 hrs over 2 days .

Last weekend it took 3 of us 4 hours to finish.
32x60x14

I have 15' leans on order as was hoping they would be ready this week for the long weekend but I guess it's gonna be a couple more weeks till I can pick them up.

Looks good are those chicken house trusses? I used some to build a hay barn and have some left.
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:42 am

skyhightree1 wrote:
M-5 wrote:Starting to get a few things in order . I built this weekend before last , 4 of us got everything set in 12 hrs over 2 days .

32x60x14

I have 15' leans on order as was hoping they would be ready this week for the long weekend but I guess it's gonna be a couple more weeks till I can pick them up.

Looks good are those chicken house trusses? I used some to build a hay barn and have some left.
these are new trusses and never exposed to chickens
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Post by skyhightree1 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:20 am

M-5 wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:

32x60x14

these are new trusses and never exposed to chickens

Ohok they look like same basic design
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:08 pm

This style truss has been the primary pole barn truss system here the last 25 years . At least 3 truss plants within an hour of me . I would assume the chicken houses use them too because I do see some for sale from time to time.
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:35 pm

I like the trusses, around here for pole buildings they take 2 regular wood trusses and sandwich them together with a 2x6 to hold the purlins .

Looking good!
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

SALTBRANCH2
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by SALTBRANCH2 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:25 pm

M-5 that looks good Sir. We would call that a barn here in South Texas also. We might skirt the top of the sides some but never go to the ground. Need air flow to be able to stand to work on equipment etc in the 100 degree plus heat.
I have seen those truss designs all over the net but I have yet to find dealer in Texas that will return a call or email. Can you say what the cost was for each one and size? I am to the point of buying some square tube and build my own.

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Post by Supa Dexta » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:20 am

Named'em Tamed'em wrote: around here for pole buildings they take 2 regular wood trusses and sandwich them together with a 2x6 to hold the purlins .

What do you mean by this? They double up every truss?

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:43 am

Supa Dexta wrote:
Named'em Tamed'em wrote: around here for pole buildings they take 2 regular wood trusses and sandwich them together with a 2x6 to hold the purlins .

What do you mean by this? They double up every truss?

Yes, all trusses are double except the gable ends. The others are nailed together , spaced by a 2x6 sticking up to hold the purlins.
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.