Hello from Devin and Kim in Deep East Texas

Let us know who you are.
Ranch7DK
Beginner
Beginner

Hello from Devin and Kim in Deep East Texas

Postby Ranch7DK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 am

We bought a small piece of land (15 acres) and would like to raise a few cows. Currently have our eyes on Akaushi. We have the basics set up, except we need new fence on three sides. (haha-should be all four, but the front is already pipe) We are just gathering information for now. We do have 6 cows currently, just not the ones we want. My current mission is to put together a solid schedule of what and when to do. i.e. vaccination, worming, breeding, pasture care, rotation and such.
0 x
Best wishes and prayers
Devin and Kim

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Hello from Devin and Kim in Deep East Texas

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:53 am

Ranch7DK wrote:We bought a small piece of land (15 acres) and would like to raise a few cows. Currently have our eyes on Akaushi. We have the basics set up, except we need new fence on three sides. (haha-should be all four, but the front is already pipe) We are just gathering information for now. We do have 6 cows currently, just not the ones we want. My current mission is to put together a solid schedule of what and when to do. i.e. vaccination, worming, breeding, pasture care, rotation and such.

How deep?
You do realize your in East Texas?
Unless you develop a niche market for your product from pasture to processing, your going to get your feelings hurt with Akaushi.
What salebarn would you have to use if you had no other market?
1 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Ranch7DK
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ranch7DK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:08 pm

Lufkin Texas. It would be niche for sure. Still doing a lot of consideration. Salebarn would not work. Thinking of direct meat sales and other online markets for bulls and heifers.
0 x
Best wishes and prayers
Devin and Kim

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 pm

Ranch7DK wrote:Lufkin Texas. It would be niche for sure. Still doing a lot of consideration. Salebarn would not work. Thinking of direct meat sales and other online markets for bulls and heifers.

Towards Apple Springs? Pollock? Diboll?
Your right on considering that is a whole nuther can of worms.
USDA regulation has shut down most of the private kill and processing plants.
Last check Crockett, Liberty and Silsbee are the last left in the area.
0 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

Ranch7DK
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ranch7DK » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:39 pm

Lufkin is 10 minutes north of Diboll, 7 minutes south of Pollock. Crockett is the closest for sure. I forget where, but have made friends with local rancher and he takes his somewhere that hangs them 21 days and vacuum seals the meat. Yourself, where are you? Republic Steak House in Nacogdoches has Akaushi on the menu. Starts at $40 no sides included. Have not made decision yet, not that type of investment. Fences replaced first and working on vaccine schedule too. Suggestion are welcome there for sure. So many options and personal choices. Thought about getting with local vet, but I think there too will be personal choice on which vaccines.
0 x
Best wishes and prayers
Devin and Kim

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Woodville.
Niche markets are tough in economy depressed East Texas. Unless you get near the petrochemical wages in Hardin, Jefferson or Tyler county.
Trinity county is so poor does it even have a Walmart? Angelina has the medical center after that it gets pretty slim pickens.
Not impossible just have to remember Brookshire Bros. Is high end shopping for most of the population in the area.

Good Luck
0 x

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:33 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:Woodville.
Niche markets are tough in economy depressed East Texas. Unless you get near the petrochemical wages in Hardin, Jefferson or Tyler county.
Trinity county is so poor does it even have a Walmart? Angelina has the medical center after that it gets pretty slim pickens.
Not impossible just have to remember Brookshire Bros. Is high end shopping for most of the population in the area.

Good Luck

CB..... Not having a Walmart is a good thing.
Don't forget Dollar General tho. There isn't too much you can't get from one.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

msplmtneer
GURU
GURU
Location: Where the rockets rattle your windows. Fl but my heart in WV.

Postby msplmtneer » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:43 am

Howdy and :welcome: :tiphat:
1 x
If you are going to be stupid you gotta be tough

slick4591
GURU
GURU

Postby slick4591 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:23 pm

:welcome:
1 x
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Return to “Hi! I'm new here.”