Last sale of the year????

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: Last sale of the year????

Postby farmerjan » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Heavier calves here in Va have been bringing better prices than lighter. One buyer at a local sale told my son this week that the buyers do not want these bawling calves due to too much sickness. The weather has made buying these unweaned calves a nightmare... cold, damp, wet weather, temp swings etc.. Pnuemonia, other resp. problems are awful.
We lost an old cow the other day, 3+ month old calf on her. Not thin, but this weather I think is just dragging them down. Talked to several cow/calf guys at a meeting tuesday night and they are all talking about losing some animals.... guys who just don't lose but a very minor number ever.
Many buyers are saying no more unweaned until we get some cold and frozen stuff and the raw dampness lets up. That said, we are going to hold ours til the middle of Jan at least. Got about 50 or more to wean, some heifers we are going to keep. They might not all be weaned but, but nothing here will be sold for at least a month. Prices here are so off that it would make you cry. I'm talking feeders mostly steers in the $.75 to $1.25 range a few hit $1.40's.... but not many. Heifers you can pick up for $.65 to $1.00 all day long. Best cull cows brought $.31, down to $.11....
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:44 am

wow. those prices are terrible.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:02 am

ddd75 wrote:wow. those prices are terrible.

We sell our calves at the barn in Owenton, KY. They posted their results from yesterday’s sale here: https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sv_ls163.txt

Pretty soft.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:19 am

1982vett wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
1982vett wrote:Close enough to the end of the year to take taxes into consideration.

Most of my expenses are done for the year and I’m profitable so in my case any sales add to my adjusted gross income. My tax bracket isn’t all that bad but self-employment taxes would trim it 15.35%

Hold the check until January. Just sayin’.

Date of the check is what matters....

Our local sale barn will sell in Dec (or whenever) and not write the check until Jan, just complete a simple contract. We've done that a couple times.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:52 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

We sell our calves at the barn in Owenton, KY. They posted their results from yesterday’s sale here: https://www.ams.usda.gov/mnreports/sv_ls163.txt

Pretty soft.

That is definitely trending down. Prices look slightly lower, than here.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:52 am

Prices are supposed to go up. We hauled some runts in yeasterday and calves in the 550-650 range were selling hot. A lot of 600lbs+ calves went over $1000 a piece. Ship the first batch but hold the second for awhile. Trailer weave calves brought .10 less a pounds than long weaned calves. They don’t like them trailer weaned calves up here.
0 x

holm25
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby holm25 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:56 am

0 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm

holm25 wrote:Prices are supposed to go up. We hauled some runts in yeasterday and calves in the 550-650 range were selling hot. A lot of 600lbs+ calves went over $1000 a piece. Ship the first batch but hold the second for awhile. Trailer weave calves brought .10 less a pounds than long weaned calves. They don’t like them trailer weaned calves up here.

In the grand scheme of things, 10 cents isn’t all that much considering the “added value” preconditioning is supposed be about. Pretty easy to burn through a dollar a day per head for “added value”. :2cents:
2 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:11 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
1982vett wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

If you say so.

TT is better at dealing with the IRS than me.
1 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Postby farmerjan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:45 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Pretty soft.

This report is very close to what they are bringing here in Va today. Sat at the sale for about an hour or so through steers in the 5-6 wts. A few were way off, mostly the ones that looked dairy crossed and a few with bad eyes, in the 60's.... but the majority were in the 1.20 to 1.40 range. Bulls were right at 1.00, +/- .10. Saw one group bring right at 1.50 but that was all. Had some other things to get done so didn't stay long. Very discouraging. :cry2: :( :(
0 x

Banjo
GURU
GURU

Postby Banjo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:38 am

1982vett wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
1982vett wrote:Close enough to the end of the year to take taxes into consideration.

Most of my expenses are done for the year and I’m profitable so in my case any sales add to my adjusted gross income. My tax bracket isn’t all that bad but self-employment taxes would trim it 15.35%

That's an interesting thought.....Is it technically not income until you cash the check? I don't know
0 x

That's my opinion.....feel free to make it yours.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby JMJ Farms » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:01 pm

Banjo wrote:
1982vett wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

That's an interesting thought.....Is it technically not income until you cash the check? I don't know

According to IRS, date of check is what matters. There are ways of manipulating this.
0 x
“Watch your top knot” - Will Geer as Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:12 pm

Sold a few last week, a few this week, 10 or more I will sell next week. Holding cows till after the new year. Won't loose it all at once.
2 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Return to “Cattle Sales”