People are helpless

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Love the muddy season. People who have weekend places are in full swing getting things stuck. We have one guy that drove his mothers new truck out and just headed out across their pasture. Got right in the middle when the truck just lost momentum and sunk. They had a few days dry enough to come out and get it, but didn't. I think they got stuck sometime around thanksgiving. Well, rain starts again tomorrow and it might be next year before anything can get in and pull them out. Our son took one of our tractors there and couldn't get to the truck.
Yet another weekend person just called and they actually have a tractor, but got their truck stuck and their tractor stuck.. Good thing I hadn't put the pizza in the oven or i'd be pretty mad right now.
The thing is, most times they act like its expected. The truck they took a tractor out to, husband made an agreement that if they got him out easily no charge, but if they got the tractor stuck, 100 bucks. DIdnt sit well with the guy. Usually if they offer to pay my husband wont take it. But most times they act like its his job to just willy nilly pull them out of the mud when they get stuck. Hes even pulled a guy out that when my husband turned around to leave, the guy drove right back into the mud..
I think we need a sign out on our gate that list the fees for being pulled out. Not sure what it would cost to have a service do it, it would have to be 100s, but right now, that first mentioned truck is where no one can get to it.

I pulled an older guy out on the back road Tuesday. Gum swamp flooded and washed the road out and he just drove right off into the swift water. His rear tires were 3 to 4 foot off the ground and the cab and engine was full of water. I drugged him to high ground and told him that wasn't very smart and didn't charge him anything. Helpless? Some are just idiots.

True Grit Farms":1occp25r said:
I pulled an older guy out on the back road Tuesday. Gum swamp flooded and washed the road out and he just drove right off into the swift water. His rear tires were 3 to 4 foot off the ground and the cab and engine was full of water. I drugged him to high ground and told him that wasn't very smart and didn't charge him anything. Helpless? Some are just idiots.
When my husband got back last night I asked if he offered to pay. The ONLY time this guy calls is when he's stuck and has been many times. He did offer to pay but husband didn't take it. He instead said, "You owe me, and if I need you I expect you to drop everything you are doing at any time of the day to come help me." Actually, I would hand him money instead, lol... one thing I do not like is to owe someone... We live our lives giving, never taking just so we don't owe anyone..lol

greybeard":8xnzfe6z said:
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92934
Everybody gets stuck sometimes.
Geeze you had to do some real searching there... The difference there being, I was working..and we pulled ourselves out. My ruts are still in that corner.. that's one of those spots that never gets a bottom even in the dead of summer. Lesson learned. I've learned to recognize plants in those areas, so, another thing I learned not to get stuck.

I have a place that gets wet and stays wet. I started across it several years ago and while trying to get to high ground stuck the 4 wheel drive pickup. To far in to get a wrecker in. I bought 12 30,000 pound tow straps 30 foot long from Atwoods. $9.95 each. Had enough high solid ground to move the tractor about 45 feet. Also bought clevis to hook the straps together. They are a problem to undo when you thread the loops through the loops to keep them together. It took several tries and I got the truck out without any help from anyone. I have to pretty well do it by myself these days. Easier than asking the wife to help.

pdfangus":2wv1xpd5 said:
M-5":2wv1xpd5 said:
I would ask one of them to show you how to post pictures.

LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THIS ONE.......

I was thinking "people are hopeless" would be a more appropriate title for that one.

We had a river crossing. Go straight across from the east bank, then go north along the west bank 100 yards and out the road. Way too many people coming from the west bank would go straight out and drown out their car. Then they would blame everybody else. "Why are there not signs????" etc. Then a "be nice" decided a lawsuit was in order. It is now closed off and we have to drive 12 miles around. None of the locals ever had problems at that crossing.

cowgirl8":2h8x348q said:
greybeard":2h8x348q said:
https://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=92934
Everybody gets stuck sometimes.
Geeze you had to do some real searching there...
No, I didn't. I've just been blessed with a very good memory...so far.

backhoeboogie":17jlnf8y said:
pdfangus":17jlnf8y said:
M-5":17jlnf8y said:
I would ask one of them to show you how to post pictures.

LAUGHED OUT LOUD AT THIS ONE.......

I was thinking "people are hopeless" would be a more appropriate title for that one.

We had a river crossing. Go straight across from the east bank, then go north along the west bank 100 yards and out the road. Way too many people coming from the west bank would go straight out and drown out their car. Then they would blame everybody else. "Why are there not signs????" etc. Then a "be nice" decided a lawsuit was in order. It is now closed off and we have to drive 12 miles around. None of the locals ever had problems at that crossing.

Our Pastor told me a story. It was mid winter in Baker City, Oregon. The whole world was white. The freeway an skating rink. He was easing along and a Jeep pulling a trailer past him like he was standing still. A short while later he sees the Jeep going around and round. It ends up on the shoulder of the road. Pastor stops and asks the guy if he is alright. His reply was, "there weren't any signs". Pastor asks him where are you from? The answer was California. I guess he had never seen snow and ice before.

Did preacher reply:
39f6d77792c19622a4e02e3c8e196410d63105bb053005bbaaebdffa14aa6475.png