77 Years Ago

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
The empire of Japan launched a surprise attack on Pearl Harbor.
The attack resulted in over 2300 American lives lost. Had an uncle there on that day.
The event changed a lot of things in our country forever.

After the attack..........

George S. Patton

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't."

I have, and have read quite a bit on news webpages today.

There are only 5 remaining USS Arizona survivors and this will be the 1st year that none will be there for the memorial service. All in their 90s now and in too poor health to make the trip.
When the human connection is eventually completely gone, it will be harder for there not to be a distance created between current time and the event.

Caustic Burno":x0d3tb1g said:
Haven't heard a peep about it on the news either. Sadly very pathetic IMO.

Tragic, yet very defining moment in American history. Pearl Harbor used to receive the respect and thanks it deserved. Not so much anymore.

Japanese Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve."

How right he was.

There was coverage on nightly news here out of Lexington. They mentioned this is the first year the last remaining survivors did not attend the memorial event. They are too old and fragile.

Dad was drafted into the Navy and placed on the USS Pennsylvania. That ship was told the surrender would be signed on it but it was changed. I always wondered how the Japanese felt when they saw the US ships come into port.

CSM":35f5k42r said:
Dad was drafted into the Navy and placed on the USS Pennsylvania. That ship was told the surrender would be signed on it but it was changed. I always wondered how the Japanese felt when they saw the US ships come into port.

Relieved they were in port & guns silent instead of standing offshore spitting mortal he77 and 14-16" broadsides would be my guess..........

Latest posts