Horse hay

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Horse hay

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:14 am

I hate horse people.. these jerks worried the hadies out of me cause they needed hay I told them I don't feel like going out to the barn they kept begging said they are bringing a trailer to get hay and they will load it.. I said well ok figured they would give me more Christmas $$ so ok.. how about these jackasses bought 3 square bales.. :bang: :mad:
2 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Horse hay

Postby Jogeephus » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:34 pm

If you didn't have to chase them to get your $7.50 then you should consider yourself lucky. My would-be customers are the reason I'm not in the hay business.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:13 pm

That's the reason I sold my square baler this summer. At times there was money to be made in horse squares but I got tired of dealing with the customers. The unfounded complaints of mold or whatever, chasing down the money, oddball deliverys, oddball pickups, tire kickers, etc.
0 x

snoopdog
Rancher
Rancher

Postby snoopdog » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:02 pm

I quit selling to them, "my horse just won't eat anything but pure sprayed and fertilized bermudagrass", don't feed thatsob for a week and he'll eat a pbj sandwich! When we hadem they got what everything else got, and I don't remember them ever going hungry. When they tell me they want horse hay, I just say no.
3 x
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:29 pm

LoL i tell them inspect the hay cause soon as I'm pull off or they leave we're done
0 x
Oh Great Spirit, who made all races,look kindly upon the whole human family and take away the arrogance and hatred which separates us from our brothers.

chevytaHOE5674
Rancher
Rancher

Postby chevytaHOE5674 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:13 pm

I have two horses that spend all winter long in with the bred cows and bulls. They eat whatever the cows are eating. So in that case I must have spoiled cattle that get to enjoy "horse hay". Lol

I never ever gave refunds for hay. Once in a while I would exchange bales (usually for the exact same stuff lol), but no refunds. I'm OCD about how dry my hay is and check and recheck it before baling, so it was the rare occasion I actually had a "bad" square bale. Usually a bad customer looking for a way to get a discount or free hay.
1 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:23 pm

if a cow eats it a horse can dang sure survive on it, they dont have a calf to feed. its the stupid owners that spoil their horses.
2 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:21 pm

skyhightree1 wrote:I hate horse people.. these jerks worried the hadies out of me cause they needed hay I told them I don't feel like going out to the barn they kept begging said they are bringing a trailer to get hay and they will load it.. I said well ok figured they would give me more Christmas $$ so ok.. how about these jackasses bought 3 square bales.. :bang: :mad:

Good lick young man. Did they want you to let them charge it for 30 days?? :lol: Now you know why horse hay is almost double cow hay (same hay)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Hook2.0
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Hook2.0 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:22 pm

The hay I’m selling is fertilized clean coastal. Lady called yesterday and asked if it was horse hay. I said it has been stored outside. She asked again if it’s horse hay and I said it depends on the horse and the owner. She hung up on me. :lol:
2 x
Proud to be a multiplier

Allenw
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Allenw » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:36 pm

Selling hay sucks, especially when they don't know what they want or don't understand enough to really know what your telling them. Then there was the idiot that couldn't drive five miles in a straight line with out calling three times for directions and then tried to hustle me.
0 x

skyhightree1
Mentor
Mentor

Postby skyhightree1 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:49 pm

TexasBred wrote:
skyhightree1 wrote:I hate horse people.. these jerks worried the hadies out of me cause they needed hay I told them I don't feel like going out to the barn they kept begging said they are bringing a trailer to get hay and they will load it.. I said well ok figured they would give me more Christmas $$ so ok.. how about these jackasses bought 3 square bales.. :bang: :mad:

Good lick young man. Did they want you to let them charge it for 30 days?? :lol: Now you know why horse hay is almost double cow hay (same hay)

They got me but won't get me again
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:10 pm

i know a lady who spent 12.50/sq bale for her horses. she spotted a few clover leaves in it and asked me i I wanted it for .50 cents a bale.

I went and loaded up almost 300 bales. it was pretty good hay but nothing great. 12.50.. wow..
1 x

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Postby 1982vett » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 pm

Yup. I don’t sell hay anymore. Don’t have to fertilize, cut,rake and bale as much I used to also. Nice!
0 x
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. ~Albert Einstein
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day. ~Harry S. Truman

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Texasmark » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:50 am

They buy to eat themselves and apparently eat with their eyes. I have been through what a lot of you mention and quit squares entirely. Now if they squawk my hay I ask to see the pasture where their horses have been grazing. Shuts that up.
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 am

ddd75 wrote:i know a lady who spent 12.50/sq bale for her horses. she spotted a few clover leaves in it and asked me i I wanted it for .50 cents a bale.

I went and loaded up almost 300 bales. it was pretty good hay but nothing great. 12.50.. wow..

haha thats great, i would have turned around and sold it to another horse lady!
0 x

Return to “Grasses, Pastures and Hay”