What can you tell me about Charlo

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: What can you tell me about Charlo

Postby LCBulls » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:46 am

Ebenezer wrote:
jdg wrote:1441 is a frame 5.5....so you won't be bringing frame down very quick or far. And even though they share a common ancestor (Rito 707), I have a hard time believing that SAV is a maternal herd. (Saving daughters I assumed was the point of the Charlo question). I believe that it's probably one of the best terminal angus herds out there...but the vast majority of those daughters are too big for my environment to support.

People can no longer think about beef cattle in clear terms of maternal and terminal. The brainwashing has been effective. It is a given in poultry, swine and dairy. It is said to be black magic, voodoo, superstition and mere opinion in beef cattle breeding. Makes no sense because it does not make sense.

A herd that pushes growth and carcass traits yet mouths "maternal" get the pass today. I do not need extremes of any sort. I need traits that fit the environment and my customer's environment. The best way to hit the target is to aim for the bull's eye and not the outer edges. A bull that is too short for commercial cattle to make decent money in the barn is a waste for me and customers and an edge of target. Any promoted herd that seeks the highest of growth or carcass is also an edge of target. Some folks like to live on the edge and feed cattle on the edge. Suits me fine; their time and money.

Pinebank had a tendency to seek terminal traits as priority and lots of the culling of untold females was self-inflicted as the selection of growth on a given environment can only allow a cow so much energy in spite of the rhetoric. The results of Pinebank are sure to suit some folks. But a lot more maternal goodness could have been established earlier if the quest for "power" in bulls had been recognized as an antagonist for the female side.

The environment wins or else you prop up cattle with shade, feed, ponds to cool in, deep and constant culling, making speeches, following herd prefixes, chanting slogans and such.

I hear what you’re saying about chasing Growth and Carcass traits. I certainly don’t believe that you can say that they do that. Just look at the Sires that they have been using.
They certainly don’t chase the fads that most big ranches do. Including myself with some bulls.

RIto 7075, Coleman Charlo, Final Answer, etc.
I wouldn’t call these bulls carcass and Growth bulls
They did use Ten X, but I think they sold most of his daughters.
Resource, Renown, Seedstock,Charlo, Supercharger, President, Raindance, Rainfall, etc are all examples of bulls that certainly are not breed leaders for Carcass although they are Decent. Most of these bulls come from highly proven cows that have proven longevity and structural soundness. (14-18 years in production)

When I think Terminal, these are the bulls that come to mind:
Black Magic,Ten X, Rampage,Acclaim, Epic, Monumental, etc are a whole different level.
0 x

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Postby Ebenezer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:11 pm

Each environment defines maternal and terminal if maternal has not been genetically overridden.
0 x

Brookhill Angus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Brookhill Angus » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:15 pm

From what I'm reading, some on here are looking for an F-450 with the fuel economy of a Tesla, that rides like a Rolls Royce, is affordable as a Honda Civic, and that can last as long as a Volvo.

Wouldn't that be great! But until that happens we all do the best we can. On our operation, we are trying to get as many SAV President and Raindance daughters as we can right now along with Harvestor, International, and Supercharger. We like SAV A LOT! as you can tell. We've been told, they will never hold up in Kentucky. Well, they are doing fine, growing like weeds, and dealing with the horrible weather. When it comes time to breed them, we will probably use Hoover Dam, Baldridge Colonel, Basin Payweight 1682, Bubs Southern Charm, and EXAR Denver 2002B on them, and guess what, they will most likely do just fine as well. Is this a perfect plan?, who knows, is this perfect for you?, again who the h..ll knows. There are many that seem to discourage every move one makes by saying, "oh that won't work!"....how do they know it won't work? Do they actually have progeny to prove it? Breeding is one big ole experiment in the end, don't believe the people who say "this is an absolute, this process I use is perfection", that's bulls...t!

I'm curious to see what an SAV President daughter bred to Bubs Southern Charm looks like, are there any to go by? any progeny to show me what they look like? Nope! It could be a dud, or it could be magic, who knows till you try it...

I just bred a very nice Connealy Capitalist daughter to SAV President 6847. Who has a calf out of that combo out there? Please message me if you do, I would love to hear about the results. I would say not many exist, if any. So how can you comment on it? negatively at that!

There are literally millions upon millions of genetic combinations that can be produced in cattle, which leads me to ask, who knows which is best? It's all a guess at the end of the day. An educated guess at best. Hence, you take in phenotype, you take in genomic-enhanced EPD's, pedigrees, and so on, and let those dice roll. I happen to like the overall package that Angus delivers, some don't, that's fine, breed what you like, and do your own research, lot's of it too!
1 x
Brookhill Angus/Registered Angus since 1967

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:19 pm

How are the feet on Charlo calves? Thanks.
0 x

LCBulls
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby LCBulls » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:10 pm

All of our Charlo cattle have had good feet so far. Larry Coleman doesn’t put up with cattle that have bad feet, udders. I’d say he’s a definite foot improver.
0 x

Air gator
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Air gator » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:44 pm

Thank you, LCBulls.
0 x

Dsth
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Dsth » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:21 pm

I have three Charlo daughters that I will be breeding in March. they are a little shorter than my other heifers but are nice and wide and easier fleshing than mates. one is super calm and likes to be petted since she was about a month old. one is probably the worst docile heifer I have had in several years. one is in the middle and would call average for my herd. most of my cows are nice and calm. looking forward to seeing how they turn out.
0 x

Return to “Artificial Insemination (AI) for Cattle”