Cattle goals for the new yr and future

The place to start if you are new!
Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Cattle goals for the new yr and future

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:08 am

So I have a 4yr old brangus supposed to calf in feb and she randomly starts trying to suck the cow that just calf chasing her all around the pasture this morning as well as fighting each other separated the calf and it’s mom by my house. Do i sell the other cow I heard before that’s what your supposed to do but I’m not sure
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:55 am

Bfields30 wrote:So I have a 4yr old brangus supposed to calf in feb and she randomly starts trying to suck the cow that just calf chasing her all around the pasture this morning as well as fighting each other separated the calf and it’s mom by my house. Do i sell the other cow I heard before that’s what your supposed to do but I’m not sure

Can you separate them?
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Postby Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 pm

The problem is - if she gets the cow to stand (or any other cow), she will drain the colostrum and she will never produce it again for the newborn. Or, if you have a cow that will allow her to suck any time, the calf will starve.
It may have been something random - maybe because the new momma smelled different. If I saw her do it again, she would grow wheels.
2 x
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:27 pm

Old timey solution is putting a bull ring or plastic flap into the nose of the sucker.
2 x
Stocker Steve

Bfields30
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Bfields30 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:50 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bfields30 wrote:So I have a 4yr old brangus supposed to calf in feb and she randomly starts trying to suck the cow that just calf chasing her all around the pasture this morning as well as fighting each other separated the calf and it’s mom by my house. Do i sell the other cow I heard before that’s what your supposed to do but I’m not sure
yeah I separated

Can you separate them?
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Bfields30 wrote:
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
yeah I separated

Can you separate them?

Calve out the milk stealer and I'd suggest selling her in 6-7 months with her calf by her side.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Lazy M
GURU
GURU

Postby Lazy M » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 pm

Either sell her or buy her some jewelery. I've found both work
1 x

Return to “Beginners Board”