44 Farms partners with Walmart??

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: 44 Farms partners with Walmart??

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:41 pm

Someone needs to tell them, because you sure ain't.
:lol2:

"While we recognize that the subject did not steal any horses he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Whoa, whoa - James. I was not being negative. Please re-read. Your cow pictured and some others are obese. I don't think even you can deny that.
But - that is working for you and your environment. You have an abundance of forage.
After I made the comment that your program was working good for you, I did want to point out to any "newbies" reading our posts, that we as breeders need to be careful with our HEIFERS (not cows) for milk production. (a different topic)
We all get bantering back and forth and sometimes forget we are not the only ones reading these posts.
I was not being disrespectful to your program. Heck, Ron is a friend and I have told him his cows were obese!!! LOL He also knows it!

No offense taken Jeanne, I appreciate your input, but I assure you that if she was pulled off all feed for a year, and had to live solely on grass, even in the winter, she would still be 1700-1800 pounds. She was 9 months pregnant in that photo as well with a 90 pound bull calf.

Your idea of grass and mine differ greatly. Same goes when it comes to feeding cattle. I'm feeding mine 3lbs of corn - wcs mix every other day hoping that they won't die and make it to spring grass.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:Whoa, whoa - James. I was not being negative. Please re-read. Your cow pictured and some others are obese. I don't think even you can deny that.
But - that is working for you and your environment. You have an abundance of forage.
After I made the comment that your program was working good for you, I did want to point out to any "newbies" reading our posts, that we as breeders need to be careful with our HEIFERS (not cows) for milk production. (a different topic)
We all get bantering back and forth and sometimes forget we are not the only ones reading these posts.
I was not being disrespectful to your program. Heck, Ron is a friend and I have told him his cows were obese!!! LOL He also knows it!

No offense taken Jeanne, I appreciate your input, but I assure you that if she was pulled off all feed for a year, and had to live solely on grass, even in the winter, she would still be 1700-1800 pounds. She was 9 months pregnant in that photo as well with a 90 pound bull calf.

Your idea of grass and mine differ greatly. Same goes when it comes to feeding cattle. I'm feeding mine 3lbs of corn - wcs mix every other day hoping that they won't die and make it to spring grass.

Hoping they won’t die? You are joking right?
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm

James, I was not referring to her size, her brisket is like a basketball!! I also have some big mommas.
This is Trinity 3T, daughter of an old donor. Weighed 1985# (12 years old) BCS maybe 7
This is Yippee 60Y, daughter of another donor of mine. Weighed 1850# (8 Years old) BCS maybe 6.5
I do NOT go out of my way to let very many know the size of my girls, because it just brings on criticism. My herd average is about 1550#. I generally leave it at that.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Brookhill Angus wrote:.

Hoping they won’t die? You are joking right?

Not joking at all, a lot of cattle have starved to death already this year. Our hay stinks and some folks just don't or can't afford to buy feed for their cattle. We have 3 older calves that aren't looking so good, and one is from a good proven cow. I'm fighting and feeding my way through this mess but it won't surprise me if we lose a couple of animals before spring.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:James, I was not referring to her size, her brisket is like a basketball!! I also have some big mommas.
This is Trinity 3T, daughter of an old donor. Weighed 1985# (12 years old) BCS maybe 7
This is Yippee 60Y, daughter of another donor of mine. Weighed 1850# (8 Years old) BCS maybe 6.5
I do NOT go out of my way to let very many know the size of my girls, because it just brings on criticism. My herd average is about 1550#. I generally leave it at that.

Jeanne, I’m totally fine with the criticism, and didn’t think you said anything offensive. Your cattle look fantastic, that first photo is favorite. She looks like she is in cow heaven, ha!
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:42 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:James, I was not referring to her size, her brisket is like a basketball!! I also have some big mommas.

I like both of those cows. I have to admit. I am fond of the big girls. Lol
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:19 am

Ebenezer wrote:"I don’t think you are suggesting to starve down the cattle, in which case they might be somewhat smaller"
Not so much smaller but in a more normal body condition score. The cost to pack fat on a cow is not a cost that most beef producers care to afford and does not suggest fertility or femininity. To have obese cattle is as extreme as having cattle too thin. My opinion from your pictures: your cattle would melt in a most commercial operations.

Do you think she would melt in this environment?

I think we can all agree on one thing. It is a lot more fun to critique someone who over conditions their livestock than the worthless SOB that starves them.

And yes. Those are Mexican or Black Vultures in the sycamore tree. In fact, not one Turkey vulture seems to hang around this location. I pass it on a regular basis.

Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:52 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:"I don’t think you are suggesting to starve down the cattle, in which case they might be somewhat smaller"
Not so much smaller but in a more normal body condition score. The cost to pack fat on a cow is not a cost that most beef producers care to afford and does not suggest fertility or femininity. To have obese cattle is as extreme as having cattle too thin. My opinion from your pictures: your cattle would melt in a most commercial operations.

Do you think she would melt in this environment?

I think we can all agree on one thing. It is a lot more fun to critique someone who over conditions their livestock than the worthless SOB that starves them.

And yes. Those are Mexican or Black Vultures in the sycamore tree. In fact, not one Turkey vulture seems to hang around this location. I pass it on a regular basis.

Looks like the cows are melting to me. Least you can do is drag them into the swamp. I dig a hole and bury them, screw feeding a Mex.... buzzards.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:14 pm

So, the two options in KY are only to be obese or die from starvation? Sure seems like two extremes to me. Not like that in other states. Why ignore all of the normal majority? Trying to make a point a bit too much? Hard to justify either tubs of tallow or skin and bones. Keep posting the pictures. Good for tourism.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:56 pm

Ebenezer wrote:So, the two options in KY are only to be obese or die from starvation? Sure seems like two extremes to me. Not like that in other states. Why ignore all of the normal majority? Trying to make a point a bit too much? Hard to justify either tubs of tallow or skin and bones. Keep posting the pictures. Good for tourism.

You missed the point: Being simply, that it is much less annoying that a producer is over conditioning Livestock than Livestock that is being straved in conditions where the producer is suffering mortality.

Taken from the post, the point again:

"I think we can all agree on one thing. It is a lot more fun to critique someone who over conditions their livestock than the worthless SOB that starves them."
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:45 pm

That is definitely NOT Ron's place!!!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:That is definitely NOT Ron's place!!!

I took those pictures without trespassing. They were taken from different angles on the Right Of Way of US 62.

Unfortunately, this, although not common, occurs more than many know. My brother was the County Judge Executive in Pendleton County, Kentucky for 20 years. That is an elected office. In Kentucky, that position is considered the grass roots of public politics. One of the most unsavory parts of that job is dealing with public reports of cruelty to animals. My brother was the first place they call when a citizen has a complaint over cruelty to livestock, pets or even wild animals. The response action is usually exercised through the Sheriff's office in Kentucky.
Diogenes.

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:24 pm

Bright Raven wrote:

I took those pictures without trespassing. They were taken from different angles on the Right Of Way of US 62.

Unfortunately, this, although not common, occurs more than many know. My brother was the County Judge Executive in Pendleton County, Kentucky for 20 years. That is an elected office. In Kentucky, that position is considered the grass roots of public politics. One of the most unsavory parts of that job is dealing with public reports of cruelty to animals. My brother was the first place they call when a citizen has a complaint over cruelty to livestock, pets or even wild animals. The response action is usually exercised through the Sheriff's office in Kentucky.

Did your brother ever discuss how often the calls were legitimate? If so, ball park percentage please.
A real obstacle today is the fact that many well meaning folks do not understand what, in fact, is an acceptable environment for a horse, cow, goat, etc. to live in. Locally, we have had people contact local sheriff dept complaining about cattleman because the cows were left outside overnight in the snow, or they didn't see hay in the hay feeder :roll:
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:35 pm

bball wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:

Did your brother ever discuss how often the calls were legitimate? If so, ball park percentage please.
A real obstacle today is the fact that many well meaning folks do not understand what, in fact, is an acceptable environment for a horse, cow, goat, etc. to live in. Locally, we have had people contact local sheriff dept complaining about cattleman because the cows were left outside overnight in the snow, or they didn't see hay in the hay feeder :roll:

I don't have any idea how many are illegitimate. He has provided enough stories for me to understand that it was one of the major frustrations of his office.
Diogenes.