Best design for permanent facilities?

The place to start if you are new!
Aaron
GURU
GURU

Re: Best design for permanent facilities?

Postby Aaron » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:49 am

After building my corral with all portable components (self-standing panels out of new 2 3/8 pipe, etc.), I'll never build a permanent corral again. Being able to change things on a whim and remove it all and sell it at auction tomorrow for 90-120% of what I paid for it is priceless - a practical investment. A number of old-timer neighbors have done the same with their corrals and they love them for the same reasons.
5 x
Nothin' prettier than a red Ford truck, a Massey Ferguson tractor and a red-n-white Hereford sittin' on the farm.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am

I took old poles off parts of the old corral that I took down, laid them out in the design I was planning. Even though I had measured and marked it on the ground and designed it on paper it helped me visualize it better. I found several things which needed change.

Gates. The old corral has 10 existing gates. I figured that I will be adding 11 more. I am sure glad that when I sold the place over on the coast I took down a lot of gates and brought them with me.
0 x

Ranch7DK
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Ranch7DK » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:15 pm

I would urge you to put a cover over the working are. Not so much for complete rain protection, but for shade. Shade for you and the animals -i believe helps with stress to not let them overheat.
2 x
Best wishes and prayers
Devin and Kim

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Postby gcreekrch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:51 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:I used the minimum working pen design on this site for my layout.

https://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Departmen ... _723-1.pdf

Them Texas Braymers work in a Canadian layout without getting confused? :D
0 x
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:04 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Caustic Burno wrote:I used the minimum working pen design on this site for my layout.

https://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$Departmen ... _723-1.pdf

Them Texas Braymers work in a Canadian layout without getting confused? :D

Not at all, I just had them put on jackets before entering.
2 x
Mark Twain Quotes. Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Postby backhoeboogie » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:32 am

My working pens get worked a few times each year. My pastures are a daily routine. I like rotating pasture and when I rotate, they go down the lane to the working pens. The cows look forward to going down that alley.
0 x
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Postby bird dog » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:49 pm

Sometimes less is better. The comment on knowing your labor source is an important one. While my new pens will hold all my cows and calves at one time, I have found it much easier to leave the majority out of the main pens and work inside the pen area about 10 to 15 at a time. It is much easier to sort from a small group and the small calves don't get beat up or smashed up against the sides,

I have found that the cows left outside in the holding area see that the ones before them have been worked and released back to the pasture. The last groups will be ready to get it over with and readily move into the pens.

It is also much cheaper to build a small sturdy pressure area and some larger pens that don't have to be as stout.

The chute after the squeeze can go to the pasture or back into the pens. This is critical.
I always work the cows first and sort off the calves. This year I cross fenced the pasture where the pens dump out to so that the area is only about 6 or 7 acres. This keeps the cows close and and gets them easily back with their calf when it works later.
0 x

Return to “Beginners Board”