Cheese Surplus

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Dairy economy is severely depressed with 2018 net income less than 1/2 of what it was in 2011.

1.4 billion pounds of surplus cheese in cold storage in the usa and cheese sales to China are down 65%
40 million Americans are classified with 'food insecurity." 35 lbs each = 1.4 billion lbs

Back in the day government would dump surplus cheese into public school hot lunch programs as a cost effective way
of controlling supply.
Seems to me something like that would provide a jump start to rescue dairy economies in a lot of rural areas while
providing wholesome nutrition to a lot of school children.

And bring back commodity cheese for anyone on just SS income?

(Them was some good grilled cheese samwiches my ex 'grandmother' -in-law used to make. )

Day old bread and government cheese would be a perfect replacement for snap.
Would probably help some of those heifers on wellfare get back in shape.

Son of Butch":3iem1h8k said:
Dairy economy is severely depressed with 2018 net income less than 1/2 of what it was in 2011.

1.4 billion pounds of surplus cheese in cold storage in the usa and cheese sales to China are down 65%
40 million Americans are classified with 'food insecurity." 35 lbs each = 1.4 billion lbs

Back in the day government would dump surplus cheese into public school hot lunch programs as a cost effective way
of controlling supply.
Seems to me something like that would provide a jump start to rescue dairy economies in a lot of rural areas while
You're assuming they want to rescue dairy economies

Son of Butch":1kh5bogo said:

of controlling supply.

I can remember when a local authority would routinely give away free government cheese to the poor. It was really good cheese and the better to do folks would pay the poor to buy the cheese from them.

sstterry":xky2th0j said:
Son of Butch":xky2th0j said:

of controlling supply.

I can remember when a local authority would routinely give away free government cheese to the poor. It was really good cheese and the better to do folks would pay the poor to buy the cheese from them.
I wasn't better to do but I gave $4 a box for lots of it. It was great. They sold it for beer money.

kenny thomas":3p7lmi50 said:
sstterry":3p7lmi50 said:
Son of Butch":3p7lmi50 said:

of controlling supply.

I wasn't better to do but I gave $4 a box for lots of it. It was great. They sold it for beer money.

Someone gave me a box 30 years ago. I just remember it was very good cheese and that the people would line up when it was rationed out!

Son of Butch":1isteuc6 said:

Feeding kids is great,

but

do you really see a solution to the vertical integration of dairy, which is taking out medium sized producers, to remake dairy like the poultry and pork industries ?

Too late for a quota system and big 10,000 cows per unit dairies are still expanding here...

Son of Butch; The govt won't "buy it" to put in the schools because now they aren't supposed to eat things like Macaroni and cheese, or grilled cheese sandwiches or anything that is fattening or has carbs or dairy because someone might be allergic or get an "unbalanced" meal. All that stuff is no longer considered to be nutritious if you talk to some of the ones that control the nutrition programs. A dairy farmers' wife finally quit working in the school lunch system because she said the stuff they had that was "nutritionally balance" for the kids, was barely edible, and the kids threw 2/3 in the garbage cans then bought from the vending machines. Plus she said they no longer cook at the schools, but only heat what is brought in as pre-made meals.... and she said she would usually only eat some of the vegetables on non-eaten meals, or bring her own lunch from home. Sad commentary to the current school lunch programs. Whatever happened to real food, being cooked in real kitchens, by real people.... and the kids eating it and then going outside to play in real physical activity.....

farmerjan":2h9wywh2 said:
Plus she said they no longer cook at the schools, but only heat what is brought in as pre-made meals....
Whatever happened to real food, being cooked in real kitchens, by real people...
That's right, I forgot. I've heard many schools (including ours) have gone to outsourcing their lunch programs with
no more cooking in the schools.

Back in the day, at our school a couple of 5th & 6th graders (11 &12 yr olds) served as kitchen assistants for 1 hour
a day. Rotated new kids weekly, so all served at one time or another. I don't know how much help we actually were,
but it was a good learning experience on several levels as some cooks were Grandmothers to several schoolmates ect.

Son of Butch":2htemgkc said:
farmerjan":2htemgkc said:
Plus she said they no longer cook at the schools, but only heat what is brought in as pre-made meals....
Whatever happened to real food, being cooked in real kitchens, by real people...
That's right, I forgot. I've heard many schools (including ours) have gone to outsourcing their lunch programs with
no more cooking in the schools.

Back in the day, at our school a couple of 5th & 6th graders (11 &12 yr olds) served as kitchen assistants for 1 hour
a day. Rotated new kids weekly, so all served at one time or another. I don't know how much help we actually were,
but it was a good learning experience on several levels as some cooks were Grandmothers to several schoolmates ect.

Sounds like Marine/USN mess duty to me.........the Army called it KP.
If they tried it nowadays Butch, some parent/teacher organization or other do-gooder group would be howling "child labor!!".

farmerjan":uyagrjap said:
Son of Butch; The govt won't "buy it" to put in the schools because now they aren't supposed to eat things like Macaroni and cheese, or grilled cheese sandwiches or anything that is fattening or has carbs or dairy because someone might be allergic or get an "unbalanced" meal. All that stuff is no longer considered to be nutritious if you talk to some of the ones that control the nutrition programs. A dairy farmers' wife finally quit working in the school lunch system because she said the stuff they had that was "nutritionally balance" for the kids, was barely edible, and the kids threw 2/3 in the garbage cans then bought from the vending machines. Plus she said they no longer cook at the schools, but only heat what is brought in as pre-made meals.... and she said she would usually only eat some of the vegetables on non-eaten meals, or bring her own lunch from home. Sad commentary to the current school lunch programs. Whatever happened to real food, being cooked in real kitchens, by real people.... and the kids eating it and then going outside to play in real physical activity.....

When/where I went to school the lunches were a horrible mess of inedible Mystery Meat (we made a song about it even) combined with pasta,and smelly mushy peas. We all stayed fairly thin because most of it just got thrown out. Johnny Marzetti, Pizza Burgers (yes, we called them pizza boogers, not proud of it)...ah, good times. It was all homemade. Homemade garbage :lol:

Latest posts