Loud dogs

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Silver
GURU
GURU

Loud dogs

Post by Silver » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:07 pm

Greybeard's thread got me to thinking about dog in general. I have a 13 year old Australian Sheppard that everyone in the community hates or is afraid of. When people come to the door (myself included!) she makes a fair bit of noise. The noise lasts longer when it's someone she doesn't know. Probably a minute or two. Most people are quite afraid of her. But the only person she ever bit was my wife's cousin. The dog was in the box of my truck, pitching a bit of a fit when he came walking up. He stuck his hand out to her in the box of the truck and she bit him. I told him that what he did was a foolish thing to do, as she was guarding her property. I'm not a believer in having dogs that bite, but I figure if they are doing their job then all bets are off. This is a dog that after they people come in the house and she finishes pitching her fit she lays down on their feet and goes to sleep.
Really, I like a dog that is a bit protective, but maybe that's just me. Thoughts?

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Loud dogs

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm

My dogs bark and bite at your tires when you pull into the yard. But I don't think they've bit anyone besides my wife. And the one that did is no longer part of our family. I've always had fairly aggressive dogs and would kennel them when someone came in the yard. But now I don't even have one that will catch you if I tell them to. Your dog sounds perfect to me Silver.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 pm

Dogs don’t belong around people period
Proud to be a multiplier

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:46 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:Dogs don’t belong around people period

Huh?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm

Your dog sounds almost exactly like our Australian Cattle Dog. She barks and let's us know if somebody comes around or something out of the ordinary. She has the bluff in on a lot of people and its not really a bluff she means business. I kind of like having a dog like that as a first line of defense her reputation is pretty well known.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:57 pm

Guess I need to ask your wife about that
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 pm

Where do they belong?

Redgully
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Redgully » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:19 pm

We have a pembroke corgi, a kelpie and a labrador. The corgi carries on like she's gunna tear your ankles apart and people refuse to get out their cars. But if they do she rolls on her back. I don't like aggresive dogs at all, i had to rescue my nephew once from my brothers dog that was eyeing him up. He was part dingo and they can't be trained against their instincts. My brother ended up getting rid of him, wont say but i reckon he had a scare at some point. That dog could keep up with you along side the motorbike doing a touch over 60kmh.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Post by boondocks » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:19 am

Wouldn't keep a dog with a bad disposition anymore than I'd keep a cow with one. Barking to alert is fine. Biting--'nother story...

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:58 am

I want one that barks at anything that moves, and gives a full unmistakable impression that it will bite anything that makes the wrong move.

(I'm just over halfway there with the one I have now.... )
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:18 am

i've had a few very aggressive dogs.. maremmas to be exact.. they are sure nice to keep everyone out.. but the bad thing is a lot of people are really stupid and don't understand.. "hey.that dog seems pretty mean".. so they just keep coming or try to pet them and then they get attacked. how stupid do you have to be to keep coming at 2-3 dogs running at you full speed with teeth showing.. I just don't get it.. I'd be jumping over a fence.. but nah.. most people.. OH LOOK.. THEY WANT TO LICK US I THINK!!!

best thing is a locked gate with 2-3 dogs going nuts behind it..

slick4591
Mentor
Mentor

Post by slick4591 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 am

I had a Dalmatian that would never bark or growl but would show her teeth whenever she greeted you. Thing is she was smiling and would hardly bite a biscuit because she loved everyone. People that didn't know her wouldn't get out of the car until I had her controlled. I loved it when the asphalt gypsies would stay in their truck and honk until they got tired and left. I won't have one that will bite unless told to.
I wish my brain could forget what my eyes have seen.

"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 am

[quote="slick4591"]I had a Dalmatian that would never bark or growl but would show her teeth whenever she greeted you. Thing is she was smiling and would hardly bite a biscuit because she loved everyone. People that didn't know her wouldn't get out of the car until I had her controlled. I loved it when the asphalt gypsies would stay in their truck and honk until they got tired and left. I won't have one that will bite unless told to.[/quote]

That's what I like in a dog.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:24 am

My dog (mostly Border Collie) has only barked twice that I know of . Once when there was a bear in the pasture. The other time there was a bobcat in the field. She loves people but she will tear a cow a new one.

The people I bought this place from had a couple Australian Shepard's and a heeler that raise he77 when I would pull in. The owners were either here or would pen the dogs up when we came on a scheduled visit when they would be gone. So about a week before they moved out I had to come down and sign some papers. So I started out early in the morning to drive down here. The realtor called about an hour into my 4 hour drive to tell me he would leave the papers with the seller. I knew the seller would not be home based on a previous conversation I had with them. I told him just leave them on the work bench in the shop and I would pick them up there. A couple hours later he called and told me he left the papers where we agreed but to watch out for the dogs. He had to fend them off with a pitch fork to get into and out of the shop. I stopped and picked up a stout limb before I got here. They bit my tires coming down the drive. I parked so my car, the car door, and the shop had three sides blocked. Only one step into the shop and it was a good thing I had that club. I got to thinking later that I left my car door open while I was in there getting the papers. I am glad one of those dogs didn't climb into my car.

After moving here I found out that all of the neighbors had run ins with those dogs. Several had been bit. I simply won't have a biting dog. Announcing arrivals is one thing. Biting people is an instance death sentence.

regolith
GURU
GURU

Post by regolith » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:34 pm

My dog barked at stubborn cattle, or if I was working cattle without her. Until the cattle were where they were supposed to be (a few minutes). Rural area.

She's dead. Within three weeks of a neighbour threatening to have her taken off me for barking too much. Going by the letter he sent, he thought every audible dog in the neighbourhood was her.
I can't handle noise myself, so it's pretty ironic that she was as quiet a dog as you'd find on a farm. Wouldn't have minded if she had given a bit more warning of people coming around.
dunmovin