pretty good article about what kids today are going through...

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ddd75
GURU
GURU

pretty good article about what kids today are going through...

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:11 am

0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: pretty good article about what kids today are going through...

Postby Lucky » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Sounds like they are having to do a little something we used to call “Growing Up”.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Some things never change.
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:59 pm

The biggest thing I had to worry about as a kid was,if the fish were biting..
1 x
It's that time of year, where cattle go from being conservatives,too liberals...

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Lucky wrote:Sounds like they are having to do a little something we used to call “Growing Up”.

i think they are pushing some things on them at way too early of an age.

I also don't think most kids even experience a "childhood" anymore.
5 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 pm

That was an interesting read. I actually think there is too much emphasis placed on careers at that age. Just give kids the tools they need to be successful no matter what career they go in to. Another reality is, how many people stay in one career for their 45 plus year working life time.

I guess we feed the beast, but we stress grades, community service, clubs, active participation in student government. That sort of thing. My son claims he wants to shoe horses, ride colts, and raise cattle. That’s perfectly fine with me. I also don’t want to walk across a stage graduation night not prepares for college, should he change his mind. Is he stressed? I think not, but I might be wrong.
0 x
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Postby sim.-ang.king » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:26 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Lucky wrote:Sounds like they are having to do a little something we used to call “Growing Up”.

At least their not excepted to find a mate by 12, or become king at 8.

Every generation has it's stumbling block they have to get over.
0 x
"Benign Neglect" -Dun

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:59 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:The biggest thing I had to worry about as a kid was,if the fish were biting..

As it should be!

Farm kids had stress, but I think it was more seasonal.. calving season, planting, harvest.. That's totally different than the stress of today.. Why the heck do they need to be WORRIED about their career path 10 years before they start it?
0 x
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ez14.
GURU
GURU

Postby ez14. » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:23 am

I definitely think they SHOULD be working towards their future career as soon as possible. They will be well prepared for the career they choose or have plenty of time to find out that it is not really for them well in advance
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 pm

ez14. wrote:I definitely think they SHOULD be working towards their future career as soon as possible. They will be well prepared for the career they choose or have plenty of time to find out that it is not really for them well in advance

Exactly. Trevor Brazile didn't pick up a rope at 16 or 17 and then hit the trail at 18. John Elway didn't start throwing a ball at 13 or 14. Why do we expect kids to not do the same in other arenas? You want to be a baker, start cracking on it at 8 or 9.

One thing kids have to deal with today that we didn't when we were younger is social media and the constant bullying it allows for. It's tough. You have to appear perfect all the time and if someone doesn't like you, you can't escape them. Because even if you ignore them/block them, your friends and others might not. All I can say is that I'm glad I'm not in school right now.
1 x
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar

shaz
GURU
GURU

Postby shaz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:26 pm

ddd75 wrote:

I don't think an 18yr old is ready for college either. I've seen to many of those kids get student loans and major in psychology because they really don't understand the job market. Best thing for a kid that age is to get a job and take night classes at the local community college until they know what's realistic to major in. If they don't graduate college until they're 25 so be it.
0 x
"The Pope? How many divisions does he have?" Joseph Stalin

NonTypicalCPA
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NonTypicalCPA » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:38 pm

The pressure on kids to plan out their careers before even beginning college is largely the by-product of a $100k+ cost of a college education. "What do you mean your changing your major? That's going to cost me/you two more years of college and $50k!"
0 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:49 pm

My experience with kids now days is that they don’t have to work for anything. They drive new cars, have Momma or Daddy’s credit card, and do “school activities”. If all you know from age 0 to 18 is everything I need is free how are you supposed to know what life is really like? I’m not saying they need a full time job but they need to learn responsibility at a reasonable age. I’ve hired kids to work for me and when there parents ask why I’m not using them anymore and I tell them why I just get a “well you know he’s still a kid”. I thought a big part of raising kids was preparing them for life. Guess I’m one of the last one that feels this way. Do any of y’all pay attention to the mud martins that build nest on your porch in the spring? Kids aren’t meant to be coddled until there 35 years old.
0 x

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Postby ddd75 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:56 pm

Lucky wrote:My experience with kids now days is that they don’t have to work for anything. They drive new cars, have Momma or Daddy’s credit card, and do “school activities”. If all you know from age 0 to 18 is everything I need is free how are you supposed to know what life is really like? I’m not saying they need a full time job but they need to learn responsibility at a reasonable age. I’ve hired kids to work for me and when there parents ask why I’m not using them anymore and I tell them why I just get a “well you know he’s still a kid”. I thought a big part of raising kids was preparing them for life. Guess I’m one of the last one that feels this way. Do any of y’all pay attention to the mud martins that build nest on your porch in the spring? Kids aren’t meant to be coddled until there 35 years old.

working a kid hard a few days vs. mentally exhausting a kid non stop are two very different things.
1 x

Lucky
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby Lucky » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:16 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Lucky wrote:My experience with kids now days is that they don’t have to work for anything. They drive new cars, have Momma or Daddy’s credit card, and do “school activities”. If all you know from age 0 to 18 is everything I need is free how are you supposed to know what life is really like? I’m not saying they need a full time job but they need to learn responsibility at a reasonable age. I’ve hired kids to work for me and when there parents ask why I’m not using them anymore and I tell them why I just get a “well you know he’s still a kid”. I thought a big part of raising kids was preparing them for life. Guess I’m one of the last one that feels this way. Do any of y’all pay attention to the mud martins that build nest on your porch in the spring? Kids aren’t meant to be coddled until there 35 years old.

working a kid hard a few days vs. mentally exhausting a kid non stop are two very different things.

You are correct but I still don’t see it. Maybe I’m out of the loop. Don’t you always say your getting rich off working for people that are too lazy to do anything for themselves? How do you think they got that way?
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”