Long range shooters?

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.":1pzsuuoj said:
Bright Raven":1pzsuuoj said:
ez14.":1pzsuuoj said:
I could find coyotes around here to hunt. But it is the wide open prairies that interest me. (And higher quality fur)

You better hurry on fur quality. Coyotes get "rubbed" in January and February as breeding season gets in full swing. You will see fur deterioration starting in the shoulders. By March 1, they have lost their prime.
I know I won't be going at an ideal time of year but it should still be fun

Be careful if you are on the high prairies this time of year. It can be dangerous with the temperatures and wind chill. Looking back, there are about 3 or 4 scenarios in my life I can look back on and say " I am lucky I made it out of that alive". One was coyote hunting on the high prairies near Shirley Basin, Wyoming. There is a "little traveled" paved road that crosses that high plateau. I drove out there in mid January about 1984. The nights were going down to minus 20 Fahrenheit. I was about 4 miles off the paved road. I got stuck in a snow bank. I ran the distance to the main road so I would have enough time to catch a ride out. Luckily, a car was parked where I turned off the paved road. I knocked on the window and told the guy I was stranded. He said "get in, I am out of gas". Lol. We sat in his car talking until a car came along that gave us both a ride out.

kenny thomas":3kn11qxm said:
ez14.":3kn11qxm said:
kenny thomas":3kn11qxm said:
A good way to start is finding the guys already shooting distance and spending lots of money. They seem to want the newest and highest even though I can hardly tell the difference. Buy their stuff cheap and help them finance the more expensive things. Soon you can build up to anything the normal person would need.
There is nowhere around here to shoot that far so it would be hard for me to find anyone I could do that with
Where are you planning on going to shoot? 1000 yds is common here and we have a few shooting a mile. I dont even try. On a hunt lease we have in Black Mountain on the VA/KY border if I chose to try there are places to shoot out to 2 miles and farther. Waste of ammo for me to try.
using Google maps looks like I can get about 750 yards away at the longest place I can shoot here at home

PM me your number. I have a young friend that's into shooting long range. He has it on his farm. He is interested in you coming, working, staying with him and his family. He sells grass fed beef and pastured hogs. Good people.

slick4591":33a81v33 said:
The step-son killed this one yesterday pretty much out his back door. He lives about a mile from my house.

What did he use?

I dunno, after that fella with JTF2 killed a guy in Iraq at 3,871 yards I realized I was never gonna be in that class. So if I can get my game at 400 yds or less I feel like that's good enough for me.
I also realized that I'm never going to knowingly pizz of a guy from JTF2. Those guys are bad dudes.

Silver":3egrpijh said:
I dunno, after that fella with JTF2 killed a guy in Iraq at 3,871 yards I realized I was never gonna be in that class. So if I can get my game at 400 yds or less I feel like that's good enough for me.
I also realized that I'm never going to knowingly pizz of a guy from JTF2. Those guys are bad dudes.
3871 is a ways out there! Hitting consistently at 1000 is my goal

ez14.":1d5izkl6 said:
Silver":1d5izkl6 said:

I have a good friend that was a sniper. In the Canadian military that means you need to be able to kill at 800m all the time. He claims that it doesn't matter what rifle you use, after 400m it's all just math.

Silver":pnx2o26b said:
ez14.":pnx2o26b said:
Silver":pnx2o26b said:

I have a good friend that was a sniper. In the Canadian military that means you need to be able to kill at 800m all the time. He claims that it doesn't matter what rifle you use, after 400m it's all just math.
I totally agree with this. Past that for me is more luck than skill.

kenny thomas":3oadqpag said:
Silver":3oadqpag said:
ez14.":3oadqpag said:

I totally agree with this. Past that for me is more luck than skill.

I don't know about that. When I used to shoot a lot I was pretty good at it. Only time I shoot anymore is to execute something or an elk at close range every couple of years. I no longer feel comfortable shooting at distance, but I'm sure that if I were to get to do a lot of shooting again it would come back.
I think it's a use it or lose it deal.

ez14.":2ahhzrg5 said:
kenny thomas":2ahhzrg5 said:
I have the rifle and scope but not the ability. I shoot a Savage in 6.5x284 Norma with an Osphrey Global 8x32x50 scope. I have it figured out to 1000 but it's capable further out. The gun is great but I'm not very accurate though.
Kenny hypothetical here

You have $1000 and are building a gun for maximum range (the $1000 needs to cover everything from the gun and any modifications or add ons and the scope) so what would you get?
Evidently, a 9mm handgun is all you need.
viewtopic.php?p=1511030#p1511030
:hide:

400, maybe 500 yards I could do ok some years ago, but I doubt I could see 1000 yards anymore even with a good scope. Longest straight, clear distance on my place is only 720 yards, so no way I could even attempt 1000 yards any more.

Here ya go EZ:
http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.c ... ships.html
http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.c ... vents.html

greybeard":xvd8mpir said:
ez14.":xvd8mpir said:
kenny thomas":xvd8mpir said:
I have the rifle and scope but not the ability. I shoot a Savage in 6.5x284 Norma with an Osphrey Global 8x32x50 scope. I have it figured out to 1000 but it's capable further out. The gun is great but I'm not very accurate though.
Kenny hypothetical here

You have $1000 and are building a gun for maximum range (the $1000 needs to cover everything from the gun and any modifications or add ons and the scope) so what would you get?
Evidently, a 9mm handgun is all you need.
viewtopic.php?p=1511030#p1511030
:hide:

400, maybe 500 yards I could do ok some years ago, but I doubt I could see 1000 yards anymore even with a good scope. Longest straight, clear distance on my place is only 720 yards, so no way I could even attempt 1000 yards any more.

Here ya go EZ:
http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.c ... ships.html
http://www.marksmanshiptrainingcenter.c ... vents.html
thanks I'll have to look into that

dieselbeef":18fupfcy said:
ruger precision is quality under 1500 with glass

Didn't know those words fit together. You've had better luck than myself apparently with Ruger rifles. I have a few Ruger pistols and 10-22's, but ZERO center fire rifles anymore.

True Grit Farms":m62ajhng said:
dieselbeef":m62ajhng said:
ruger precision is quality under 1500 with glass

Didn't know those words fit together. You've had better luck than myself apparently with Ruger rifles. I have a few Ruger pistols and 10-22's, but ZERO center fire rifles anymore.
I like Ruger in fact I'm sitting on the back deck shooting my Ruger .22 mag right now. I know it's not a center fire but it is a good gun (my best group this morning from 100 yards can easily be covered by a penny)

Latest posts