2019 Feeder Price Weakness ?

Discuss upcoming sales and sale results.
Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

2019 Feeder Price Weakness ?

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:24 am

Butcher prices have come up a bit. Feeder prices seem uneven. What do you expect this year?
0 x
Stocker Steve

Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: 2019 Feeder Price Weakness ?

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:10 am

What little I have seen the cull cow market is creeping up. The end of the fall rush of open cows is about over and milk prices are showing signs of moving up. That will result in fewer cow to market. The feeder sales I have seen the light cattle were off and heavier cattle did well. I don't see any big movement in feeder cattle prices either up or down other than the normal seasonal swings. My :2cents: which is worth exactly what it cost you.
0 x

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Re: 2019 Feeder Price Weakness ?

Postby farmerjan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:14 am

My son talked to the owner of the local sales barn. For this area, they do a fair number most every week. Been in it for over 50 years, think the family started it in the late 1930's. Told my son that he doesn't see any big increase in prices this year, hope they will hold fairly steady. We have some that we have to get off cows and he said that the prices have improved since the Nov-Dec lows but will probably not do much more except maybe a little when some are looking for cattle to turn on grass. Didn't sell any this week due to the forecast snow coming in, but next week looks better. Temps this coming week in 40's, nights in upper 20's. Possible rain next weekend but no snow. Will probably send in 15-25 heifers that are moved to the barn. Weights are light due to so much wet this past year, "washy grass" that the cows didn't make as good a milk on, and mediocre hay.

Milk prices came up about .50 to 1.00/cwt this past check for most dairy farmers. The big push is to have a "base" of milk now in the fall so they will be wanting more milk in Aug thru Nov to make that base and get paid more. Look to see more cull cattle being sold in the spring/early summer, and bred heifers due to freshen in that time frame. Most are still trying to milk all they can to just keep up a cash flow, and with cull prices having been so low. Heard that culls were up in the 40's and low 50's last week so that may be improving.
Weather always has a lot to do with it here. Getting in and out has been a nightmare for most beef producers. Last week we did have 4 days that the ground was hard and no rain. Got cattle moved out of 2 places and 20+ fall calves worked and moved to winter pastures and about 35 head home Sat before it started to snow with calves that need to be weaned/sold. Hauling is the limiting factor some days. Next up preg cks of the ones we pull calves off, and moved to winter grazing, culling opens. About 50 more from 2 places to get moved back to the "home farm" we rent, with working facilities, and those calves sold/weaned. Trending more towards spring calving cows so we don't have to travel so far to feed in the winter; having them all closer, calving and then moving to grass for the summer. Plus some of the fall calvers were older and have lost a few to pneumonia and just old age this year. The cold wet rains have taken their toll this fall. Have a few that lost calves, so the cows that don't have a calf will be sold too. Trying to trim the herd to be more efficient; plus losing a couple of places that we would ordinarily graze cows will be changing some of what we do.
Will hope for some decent prices this next week or so....
0 x

Return to “Cattle Sales”