Bred cows

Cattle problems.
Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Bred cows

Postby Tomcolvin » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:53 pm

I have a guy that wants to sell me 2 Cows that are bred to a Black Angus Bull. The cows are as follows, 2 years old and 3 years old so he says. Both are bred to black angus. One is a Charlay and the other is a Charlay Black Angus cross. He is asking 1500 for the pair. Is this a good price and would they be of breeding value for breeding to my full blood black angus. In other words what kind of calves would I get and would their calves be good sellers on the market? I just need some sound advise here please. Thanks, Tom
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Bred cows

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:02 pm

Tomcolvin wrote:I have a guy that wants to sell me 2 Cows that are bred to a Black Angus Bull. The cows are as follows, 2 years old and 3 years old so he says. Both are bred to black angus. One is a Charlay and the other is a Charlay Black Angus cross. He is asking 1500 for the pair. Is this a good price and would they be of breeding value for breeding to my full blood black angus. In other words what kind of calves would I get and would their calves be good sellers on the market? I just need some sound advise here please. Thanks, Tom

The price is good. Did the 3 year old raise her first calf successfully?

Their calves, now and in the future, should do fine assuming they raise a good calf.
0 x
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:28 pm

I’d buy em if I liked the way they looked
0 x

5S Cattle
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby 5S Cattle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:29 pm

How far along are they?
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 am

I’m not sure. I go look at them this coming Saturday.
He has started to buying young calves and feeding them out to sell for meat to private individuals. I would think they are about 3-4 months at the present time. I will call him today and find out.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tomcolvin wrote:I have a guy that wants to sell me 2 Cows that are bred to a Black Angus Bull. The cows are as follows, 2 years old and 3 years old so he says. Both are bred to black angus. One is a Charlay and the other is a Charlay Black Angus cross. He is asking 1500 for the pair. Is this a good price and would they be of breeding value for breeding to my full blood black angus. In other words what kind of calves would I get and would their calves be good sellers on the market? I just need some sound advise here please. Thanks, Tom

The price is good. Did the 3 year old raise her first calf successfully?

Their calves, now and in the future, should do fine assuming they raise a good calf.

In addition, I'd want more info on the 2 year old. You said "cow" so I'm assuming she already had her first calf. Any info on the bull other than Black Angus? EPD's? Whether or not the calves are good sellers is also contingent on your market.
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:13 pm

They are due late March / April. The Charlay ( spelled wrong) is supposed to be full blooded and the 2nd cow is her calf ( now 2 years old) bred to a black angus. Will see them Saturday.
0 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:07 pm

Tomcolvin wrote:They are due late March / April. The Charlay ( spelled wrong) is supposed to be full blooded and the 2nd cow is her calf ( now 2 years old) bred to a black angus. Will see them Saturday.

Please post some pictures after you’ve seen them Tom.
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Will post pics when I get to see them. The 2 year old Is a heifer calf. Sorry I call her a cow. It will be her first time.
Last edited by Tomcolvin on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Another question on my mind is if and when I buy them , do I need to isolate them from my other cows for a couple of weeks.? Also I don’t know if he gives shots.(black leg, pneumonia vaccine, worming shots and etc) just don’t want to bring trouble to town if you know what I mean.
1 x

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TennesseeTuxedo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:59 pm

Tomcolvin wrote:Another question on my mind is if and when I buy them , do I need to isolate them from my other cows for a couple of weeks.? Also I don’t know if he gives shots.(black leg, pneumonia vaccine, worming shots and etc) just don’t want to bring trouble to town if you know what I mean.

Definetly find out about his vaccination program and if doesn’t have one don’t even go look at them.

You bring up a great point that I assume the rest of us simply took for granted.
2 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:28 pm

I just texted him about the vaccines and he told me they have had them but they are not up to date. Saying this reminds me mind aren’t either, I going to have to get on the ball and get this done. Some of mind have had the blackleg vaccine but the new calves haven’t.
0 x

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Walk away. You'll always have another opportunity to buy breds that are fully vaccinated.
0 x

Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby Tomcolvin » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Tomcolvin wrote:Will post pics when I get to see them. The 2 year old Is a heifer calf. Sorry I call her a cow. It will be her first time.
0 x

MtnCows93
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby MtnCows93 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:29 pm

buy them, vaccinate them yourself. plenty of people dont vaccinate at all and never have issues. definately not a deal breaker for me
2 x

Return to “Health & Nutrition”