Sympathy towards Fed workers......

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Doesn't these people save anything. Most must live paycheck to paycheck.

I read 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck with probably some cattle farmers included and also a large percentage can't come up with a thousand dollars cash if they had to. Maybe a class in middle and high school on how to budget would have helped?

The class would be very helpful jtrent. Money management should be a required course in middle School with a refresher in high school leading into a basic economics class.

Don't know how accurate it is, but I read the other day in an article, that almost 70% of people couldn't come up with $400 cash. That's not good at all.

nope not good... especially when the POOREST people in the USA are the top 10% WEALTH EARNERS IN THE WORLD!!!!

wow!!

money management in school??? HAHAHAHA.... You mean... "GET INTO DEBT" "GET INTO COLLEGE" THATS the management.. get in the sheep line..

I like to deal in cash and keep a good inventory. The downside is trying to get insurance on cash kept at the house, it's difficult at best. I think the government has us right where they can track us. I'm not a big saver - investor but I believe in keeping enough cash on hand to pay 2 years worth of bills.

I have been self-employed for 35 years, collecting taxes and paying insurance through thick and thin.

I have no sympathy. Matter of fact I'm looking to pickup a quad for my wife from one of the local gov't employees living paycheck to paycheck.

I see that there is a bank in Eastern Washington that is going to advance those who have direct deposit to this bank their normal paycheck. They get it interest free. Just have to repay once the government pays up. I don't feel sorry for these people. The whole world knows what is going on. They just need to communicate with their creditors and there are lots of resources out there.

I find it funny that some of you find the situation surprising. It is no different in the general populace. Credit has been far too cheap for too long. The average debt load on Canadian farms was a little over $500k in 2017. It was a little over $200k in 2000.

I cannot remember how many shutdowns occurred during my federal service from 1977 to 2010. They are a paid vacation. I remember the first one, it was 1978. I spent the time remodeling our first house. I remember being disappointed when they called us back because I was making such good progress on my remodeling.

Maybe federal employees are more strapped for cash flow today. IDK. But the bill to provide backpay has already been passed and signed. Should be very easy to get an advance of that promise.

They'll probably get a $1000 bonus and raise in salary in addition to back pay when they return to work.

TennesseeTuxedo":zrs42hdx said:
ga.prime":zrs42hdx said:
They'll probably get a $1000 bonus and raise in salary in addition to back pay when they return to work.

As well they should after surviving this he!!ish experience.

I wonder how many active federal employees are Users on this board. I know one who prefers to remain anonymous who is a current EPA employee and a regular contributor. I checked on him and he says he is drinking a lot of coffee. Lol

These guys and gals at the local Fed prison just up the road I bet are seeing it rough. Even with pay I bet it is rough.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/news/shut ... eb560.html

LEE_lrg.jpg

To show solidarity and empathy I think everyone should send their nonessential personnel home until this thing is settled. I was going to but I don't have the luxury of having any ….. but if I did I would.

jltrent":200mug3n said:
These guys and gals at the local Fed prison just up the road I bet are seeing it rough. Even with pay I bet it is rough.

https://www.heraldcourier.com/news/shut ... eb560.html

LEE_lrg.jpg
As Ray Price once told a up and coming musician that was complaining about the heat on the stage he'd just performed on.."You're the one that chose to do this for a livin!"

I feel bad for the folks. Yes, it's their fault that they can't save, however, it's not their fault their jobs were put on hold. It's not a good situation, and one area where employee retention could be improved.

however, it's not their fault their jobs were put on hold.
It happens in the private sector every single day......and most times, not their fault either.
Downsize, RIF, M&A, jobs sent overseas.......it happens....every day.

greybeard":1rewsiw2 said:
however, it's not their fault their jobs were put on hold.
It happens in the private sector every single day......and most times, not their fault either.
Downsize, RIF, M&A, jobs sent overseas.......it happens....every day.

Sure does, and I sympathize with those folks, too. My neighbor works for an internationally known company. They come in routinely on a Monday and are given a box, and a pat on the back. It's really destructive. We all have to remember not everyone is as intelligent as we are. Educated in the same way. Had the same examples set forth for us at home. Have any common sense. Etc.

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't missed or went without anything since the government shut down. I say keep the shut down permanent and put everyone's wages and retirement towards building the wall. Then there will be plenty of jobs available for those who want to work.

What is to feel sorry for? These people are getting time off with pay. Sure they have to wait for the check but it will come and they will have done nothing to earn it. I worked in the woods for years where people were fired at the drop of a hat. I saw an entire riggin crew fired one afternoon because they weren't getting enough wood out. No looking to see what or who was the hold up, just 7 men down the road. I worked for a cutting contractor who had 12 fallers working for him. Every Friday he fired the slowest guy on the crew. Come Monday there would be a new guy to take his place. Probably 80% of the time that new guy was the one sent packing on the next Friday. These government employees have job security, great benefits, regular raises, and we are supposed to feel sympathy when we are the ones paying them to stay home?

Latest posts