New to AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Bull40

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to AI and am looking for advice. I have several commercial angus heifers that I intend to AI. Would Deer Valley Growth Fund be ok to breed to these heifers? They currently weigh between 850-900 pounds. I really like the bull but have concerns that he isn't proven yet. I also have several 2nd calf angus heifers that I intend to breed to breed to wc United simangus bull. I'm looking for calves that grow really well. Any advice that you may have on these two bulls?

I would use Jindra acclaim on my heifers if all I was wanting was a terminal calf.

Deer valley is right up there with GAR for me. Wouldn't use a straw if you gave it to me.

If I was going to breed heifers for a terminal calf, I'd look at Magnitude from ABS. Not exactly proven but there's more room for change on CED.

I don't remember who posted here that if you put a really high growth bull on a heifer the calf will really drag down the heifer and make it hard for her to breed back. The thought is that you would go with a bull that is calving ease and moderate growth so the heifer can bounce back and re-breed.

it wouldnt be Growth Fund, I think CED will drop some, and to costly for commercial heifers, theres 100s out there that will fit the bill at 20 bucks

Always figured that unless I'm very confident in the heifers background, I'll stick with a high accuracy calving ease bull for heifers. It's worth the piece of mind to me. Additionally, with that bull, looks like you better be prepared for big cattle. High output requires high input. (All other things being equal)

Bcompton53":jra98bet said:
Always figured that unless I'm very confident in the heifers background, I'll stick with a high accuracy calving ease bull for heifers. It's worth the piece of mind to me. Additionally, with that bull, looks like you better be prepared for big cattle. High output requires high input. (All other things being equal)

I agree. Also, we've struggled trying to get heifers to come in heat to AI. We've decided going forward to let heifers run with out low BW bull and AI cows that have calved at least once naturally.

Bull40":yrod0cgr said:
Hello I'm new to AI and am looking for advice. I have several commercial angus heifers that I intend to AI. Would Deer Valley Growth Fund be ok to breed to these heifers? They currently weigh between 850-900 pounds. I really like the bull but have concerns that he isn't proven yet. I also have several 2nd calf angus heifers that I intend to breed to breed to wc United simangus bull. I'm looking for calves that grow really well. Any advice that you may have on these two bulls?

I'd use Tex Playbook 5437. His calves come easy have good style and structure. They have adequate growth and will produce deep bodied easy fleshing type cows. Good feet and legs. Great dispositions