Best Barbed Wire ???

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by T & B farms » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 am
T & B farms wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 pm
Around here using high tensile is pretty much a sin.
Why is that? I've often wondered why high tensile wire (both barbed and smooth) isn't more popular in your area. Seems like it'd be a good fit, as you guys can get such long stretches on a section of fence.
Where I’m at we have a bunch of little crap oddball pastures. I built a mile in December, and the longest stretch was 700 feet.
I think this is where the high tensile thrives. I can’t seem to keep that 12.5 guage crap right on stretches much shorter than 1/4 mile. West of here about 50-60 miles is where you start finding sections and sections of pasture. Here we farm every flat peice of ground there is. Some guys are farming ground just to run over it. Wouldn’t even make good pasture

I’ve already had 2 different people tell me they couldn’t believe I would use “that Groucho crap”

ruchita
Beginner
Beginner

Post by ruchita » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 am

I saw a similar thing in specific territories of the Midwest and more remote appears they just prefer to utilize non-high ductile wire. Prevalent in territories where extended lengths are typical. Continuously thought about whether it was only an outlook, or if people thought the non-HT wire would assimilate increasingly stretch and "store" it to help keep the fence tight?
Electrical Engineering

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:42 am

I started with conventional wire 40 years ago and not too long into the farming thing ran across Gaucho Brand made in Arkansas....because it was cheaper and lighter to the roll making it easier for me to handle working alone. It's 15 ga. high tensile rather than 12 ½ ga. soft drawn and doesn't stretch. I have fences I built at least 30 years ago and NONE of it is rusted, wire or barbs. Barbs will draw blood if you get near it guaranteed.....happens to me every time I try to work it or get around it without gloves. 2 pt works just fine.

It doesn't stretch and is not limp coming off the spool so it takes getting used to but it is a superior wire.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

Some folks can work with hi tensile barbed wire (Gaucho) , some folks can't.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 am

greybeard wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am
Some folks can work with hi tensile barbed wire (Gaucho) , some folks can't.
I agree. Old salts around here seem to be set in their ways. I've had this farm long enough to see new fences installed around here and already rusting while mine is still Zinc intact.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Texasmark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:55 am

I noticed we have 2 different mentions of Gaucho, where made and gauge. My comments are from 30 years ago when I first stumbled across it......Who knows what/where today.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:45 am

Gaucho® is a brand..belongs to Bekaert®, but wasn't always the case...It once was a 'type' of wire, and it originally came from Mexico or South America under a variety of names...back in the 50s and 60s and was of "questionable" quality and got a well deserved bad reputation. We strung a lot of that cheap stuff in 17 1/2 gauge in the mid 60s, and as a teenager, I hated it but I sure liked unrolling that light roll compared to that heavy roll of low carbon wire. It wasn't unusual, 50 years ago, to get a roll of HT/gaucho type barbed wire with kinks in the strand right from the factory, or one of the strands broken. The galvanize sometimes was not up to par either, but all that's changed now.
Nowadays, HT barbed wire similar to Gaucho® brand is made by several different companies as well as Bekaert. Even Red Brand® finally saw the light and started making & selling HT barbed wire.
I use almost all Bekaert brand wire.
It is now owned by a Belgium company but all the Gaucho or other Bekaert wire I've bought was made either in Ky or Van Buren Ark.
Red Brand HT may be just as good but their prices are steeper.

"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!