Best Barbed Wire ???

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 294
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SW kansas
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 29 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by T & B farms » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:21 pm

cfpinz wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:09 am
T & B farms wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:51 pm
Around here using high tensile is pretty much a sin.
Why is that? I've often wondered why high tensile wire (both barbed and smooth) isn't more popular in your area. Seems like it'd be a good fit, as you guys can get such long stretches on a section of fence.
Where I’m at we have a bunch of little crap oddball pastures. I built a mile in December, and the longest stretch was 700 feet.
I think this is where the high tensile thrives. I can’t seem to keep that 12.5 guage crap right on stretches much shorter than 1/4 mile. West of here about 50-60 miles is where you start finding sections and sections of pasture. Here we farm every flat peice of ground there is. Some guys are farming ground just to run over it. Wouldn’t even make good pasture

I’ve already had 2 different people tell me they couldn’t believe I would use “that Groucho crap”



ruchita
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:19 am

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by ruchita » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:42 am

I saw a similar thing in specific territories of the Midwest and more remote appears they just prefer to utilize non-high ductile wire. Prevalent in territories where extended lengths are typical. Continuously thought about whether it was only an outlook, or if people thought the non-HT wire would assimilate increasingly stretch and "store" it to help keep the fence tight?
Electrical Engineering

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by Texasmark » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:42 am

I started with conventional wire 40 years ago and not too long into the farming thing ran across Gaucho Brand made in Arkansas....because it was cheaper and lighter to the roll making it easier for me to handle working alone. It's 15 ga. high tensile rather than 12 ½ ga. soft drawn and doesn't stretch. I have fences I built at least 30 years ago and NONE of it is rusted, wire or barbs. Barbs will draw blood if you get near it guaranteed.....happens to me every time I try to work it or get around it without gloves. 2 pt works just fine.

It doesn't stretch and is not limp coming off the spool so it takes getting used to but it is a superior wire.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18237
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

Some folks can work with hi tensile barbed wire (Gaucho) , some folks can't.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by Texasmark » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:35 am

greybeard wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am
Some folks can work with hi tensile barbed wire (Gaucho) , some folks can't.
I agree. Old salts around here seem to be set in their ways. I've had this farm long enough to see new fences installed around here and already rusting while mine is still Zinc intact.

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by Texasmark » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:55 am

I noticed we have 2 different mentions of Gaucho, where made and gauge. My comments are from 30 years ago when I first stumbled across it......Who knows what/where today.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18237
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by greybeard » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:45 am

Gaucho® is a brand..belongs to Bekaert®, but wasn't always the case...It once was a 'type' of wire, and it originally came from Mexico or South America under a variety of names...back in the 50s and 60s and was of "questionable" quality and got a well deserved bad reputation. We strung a lot of that cheap stuff in 17 1/2 gauge in the mid 60s, and as a teenager, I hated it but I sure liked unrolling that light roll compared to that heavy roll of low carbon wire. It wasn't unusual, 50 years ago, to get a roll of HT/gaucho type barbed wire with kinks in the strand right from the factory, or one of the strands broken. The galvanize sometimes was not up to par either, but all that's changed now.
Nowadays, HT barbed wire similar to Gaucho® brand is made by several different companies as well as Bekaert. Even Red Brand® finally saw the light and started making & selling HT barbed wire.
I use almost all Bekaert brand wire.
It is now owned by a Belgium company but all the Gaucho or other Bekaert wire I've bought was made either in Ky or Van Buren Ark.
Red Brand HT may be just as good but their prices are steeper.

Image
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 67
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:43 am
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 19 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm

I build a little bit of fence for some off farm income and there are a few different kinds of high tensile barb wire, the most common are the thin stuff which is probably what most guys get from farm stores or the thicker 14ga which is called cattlemen pro or something. The corrosion resistance is far superior with the zinc coated low carbon steel wire and because it's low carbon steel it can be stretched as tight as you can with a come-a-long, though you generally should not stretch fence wire fiddle string tight or you'll be pulling end posts crooked in a few years, where as the classic higher carbon wire will just snap and it's not very fun to be on the other end of the stretcher when it does.

Anyway to answer the OP the best barbed wire in my mind is the Bekart Cattlemen Pro high tensile barbed wire, just a thicker gauge of Guacho. Anything Bekart is going to be a superior fencing product.
"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Lombardi

Texasmark
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:56 pm
Location: N. Texas
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 22 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by Texasmark » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:44 am

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm
I build a little bit of fence for some off farm income and there are a few different kinds of high tensile barb wire, the most common are the thin stuff which is probably what most guys get from farm stores or the thicker 14ga which is called cattlemen pro or something. The corrosion resistance is far superior with the zinc coated low carbon steel wire and because it's low carbon steel it can be stretched as tight as you can with a come-a-long, though you generally should not stretch fence wire fiddle string tight or you'll be pulling end posts crooked in a few years, where as the classic higher carbon wire will just snap and it's not very fun to be on the other end of the stretcher when it does.

Anyway to answer the OP the best barbed wire in my mind is the Bekart Cattlemen Pro high tensile barbed wire, just a thicker gauge of Guacho. Anything Bekart is going to be a superior fencing product.
All due respect to the wire, I was moving a fence one day about 300' length, one end still anchored and pulling "taut" the other end 90 degrees....removing a cross fence and just adding the wire to a perimeter fence to have a place to put it.

I was finishing up the move, adjacent to the existing perimeter fence, pulling on the wire manually and there was a loop I didn't see which straightened out in a snap putting my left arm against the perimeter fence. Trip to the ER and a half dozen stitches and a little pushing the meat and muscle back in the hole and I was back at it.....old, 2 pt, Gaucho....get stuck somehow every time I'm around it but I love it.

User avatar
Dsth
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:33 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by Dsth » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 am

I used red brand wire since I started building fence when I was a kid. I am know 60. I quit using red brand about 5 years ago and started using gaucho cattleman barbed wire. 14ga, 4 point 5 inch spacing. it seems to stay tighter after a few years on the job. I will see if it is as rust resistant as they advertise. that is why I quit using the red brand wire. So far I am well pleased with the way gaucho is performing. I tried high tensile wire once and never again.

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5398
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by callmefence » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Dsth wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 am
I used red brand wire since I started building fence when I was a kid. I am know 60. I quit using red brand about 5 years ago and started using gaucho cattleman barbed wire. 14ga, 4 point 5 inch spacing. it seems to stay tighter after a few years on the job. I will see if it is as rust resistant as they advertise. that is why I quit using the red brand wire. So far I am well pleased with the way gaucho is performing. I tried high tensile wire once and never again.
The cattleman 14 gauge is made by beakart. And it's high tensile wire.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

M.Magis
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1759
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm
Location: Cambridge, Ohio
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by M.Magis » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:00 pm

Dsth wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:28 am
I used red brand wire since I started building fence when I was a kid. I am know 60. I quit using red brand about 5 years ago and started using gaucho cattleman barbed wire. 14ga, 4 point 5 inch spacing. it seems to stay tighter after a few years on the job. I will see if it is as rust resistant as they advertise. that is why I quit using the red brand wire. So far I am well pleased with the way gaucho is performing. I tried high tensile wire once and never again.
Gaucho Cattleman wire is HT wire.

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18237
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by greybeard » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 pm

It's also hi-carbon. Higher anyway than the old traditional/classic low carbon Red Brand 12ga type wire.

This, is an incorrect statement:
YoungAngusCattle wrote: 14ga which is called cattlemen pro or something. The corrosion resistance is far superior with the zinc coated low carbon steel wire and because it's low carbon steel it can be stretched as tight as you can with a come-a-long,
From Bekaert:
A higher steel content makes High Tensile Cattleman® Pro 14g Barbed Wire stronger, lighter, more durable fencing product than traditional barbed wire. With a breaking strength of 1,259 lbs. – 30% stronger than low carbon wire -

Bekaert does make some low carbon wire, but not under the Cattleman Pro name.
https://fencing.bekaert.com/en/bekaert- ... arbed-wire
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5398
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas
Has thanked: 115 times
Been thanked: 191 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by callmefence » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm
I build a little bit of fence for some off farm income and there are a few different kinds of high tensile barb wire, the most common are the thin stuff which is probably what most guys get from farm stores or the thicker 14ga which is called cattlemen pro or something. The corrosion resistance is far superior with the zinc coated low carbon steel wire and because it's low carbon steel it can be stretched as tight as you can with a come-a-long, though you generally should not stretch fence wire fiddle string tight or you'll be pulling end posts crooked in a few years, where as the classic higher carbon wire will just snap and it's not very fun to be on the other end of the stretcher when it does.

Anyway to answer the OP the best barbed wire in my mind is the Bekart Cattlemen Pro high tensile barbed wire, just a thicker gauge of Guacho. Anything Bekart is going to be a superior fencing product.
If your corners are pulling up, that's due to poor workmanship on your part. Not from pulling the wire to tight.
It happens to everyone, just blame it on what it is.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.




You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 18237
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:51 pm
Location: Cleveland Tx
Has thanked: 68 times
Been thanked: 226 times

Re: Best Barbed Wire ???

Post by greybeard » Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:37 pm

callmefence wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:40 pm
YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm
I build a little bit of fence for some off farm income and there are a few different kinds of high tensile barb wire, the most common are the thin stuff which is probably what most guys get from farm stores or the thicker 14ga which is called cattlemen pro or something. The corrosion resistance is far superior with the zinc coated low carbon steel wire and because it's low carbon steel it can be stretched as tight as you can with a come-a-long, though you generally should not stretch fence wire fiddle string tight or you'll be pulling end posts crooked in a few years, where as the classic higher carbon wire will just snap and it's not very fun to be on the other end of the stretcher when it does.

Anyway to answer the OP the best barbed wire in my mind is the Bekart Cattlemen Pro high tensile barbed wire, just a thicker gauge of Guacho. Anything Bekart is going to be a superior fencing product.
If your corners are pulling up, that's due to poor workmanship on your part. Not from pulling the wire to tight.
It happens to everyone, just blame it on what it is.
For the most part, I agree with this.
I've had a few I put in in the last 15 yrs that pulled, and have had others I built in the mid 60s that have not pulled and all were mostly built the same. Part of it comes from the fact that this property has been much much wetter both on surface and down deep in the last 20 years than it was in the first 35 years..and it stays wetter for much longer periods of time.most of the year unless it is extreme drought.

Image
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Post Reply