Running low on hay for cows help.

Backgrounding & feeding questions.
1wlimo
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Running low on hay for cows help.

Post by 1wlimo » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:02 am

I have been feeding rolled oats to supplement one custom herd. The hay tested low for energy and good for protein, so the oats provide the energy that keeps the hay use in check.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Lucky wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:59 am
You can feed them a commodity mix and get them through just fine. Really need troughs to feed it though. If you have a local mill give them a call. Probably have to feed 12# a day but will be cheaper than hay.
When you say "commodity mix" exactly what is it.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:08 pm
Lucky wrote:
You can feed them a commodity mix and get them through just fine. Really need troughs to feed it though. If you have a local mill give them a call. Probably have to feed 12# a day but will be cheaper than hay.
Ideally it would be whatever is cheapest and meets your needs. I've fed several mixes but this year it's 45% cracked corn, 20% linseed, 10% WCS, 10% soyhulls, 10% DDG, and mineral pack with mollasses to keep the dust down. Kind of long way to get there but seems to be working good and the cost hasn't gone up. I really like the WSC compared to hulls. The hulls bridge over too bad in the feeder and for whatever reason the price seems to vary on it. I'm guessing availability but who really knows.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm

Lucky wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 pm
TexasBred wrote:
Lucky wrote:
Ideally it would be whatever is cheapest and meets your needs. I've fed several mixes but this year it's 45% cracked corn, 20% linseed, 10% WCS, 10% soyhulls, 10% DDG, and mineral pack with mollasses to keep the dust down. Kind of long way to get there but seems to be working good and the cost hasn't gone up. I really like the WSC compared to hulls. The hulls bridge over too bad in the feeder and for whatever reason the price seems to vary on it. I'm guessing availability but who really knows.
Didn't run any numbers on it but should be plenty high in energy with a lot of protein as well. First time I think I've ever seen linseed meal or whole linseed mixed into a cattle feed in Texas. I would make a couple of changes but if it's working what the heck. Mind if I ask who mixes this for you Lucky??
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Lucky
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Lucky » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:54 am

TexasBred wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:52 pm
Lucky wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:45 pm
TexasBred wrote:

Didn't run any numbers on it but should be plenty high in energy with a lot of protein as well. First time I think I've ever seen linseed meal or whole linseed mixed into a cattle feed in Texas. I would make a couple of changes but if it's working what the heck. Mind if I ask who mixes this for you Lucky??
I sent you a PM. I’m always open too suggestions if you can think of anything. I’ve never fed linseed before but it seems to be working. This mix is 16% protien which is probably a little high for what I’m feeding this year.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:47 am

Far from ideal solution, but when feed costs get too high and times are lean, butcher/culling questionable cows option should at least be on the table for discussion.

DCA farm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by DCA farm » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:20 pm

Ever find any hay?