My New SAV Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

My New SAV Bull

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:44 am

I'm fairly new to raising cattle and extremely new to building an angus herd. I took over my grandfathers farm, at the age of 21, when he passed away 6 years ago and have been slowly replacing the commercial cows with purebred angus with the goal of selling seedstock and local consignment sales.

I bought my first purebred angus bull this winter from the SAV sale, I know there has been some heated discussions about SAV genetics around here but they must be doing something right to have 1500 buyers there every year. I would like some constructive criticism on my yearling bull, I am new to this and nobody really ever taught me how to select animals and I didn't have a whole lot to spend on a bull with all the infrastructure upgrades I have to do around here.

SAV President 8729
Reg # 19249619

Last edited by YoungAngusCattle on Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Lombardi

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Re: My New SAV Bull

Post by holm25 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:57 am

I’d say he’s pretty darn nice and a step in the right direction. Have you thought about doing any AI?

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:04 am

I have been dooing AI for the last 3 years. I want to venture into the world of embryo transfers sometime soon.

Here's another photo.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright
"Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence." - Lombardi

Coosh71
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Coosh71 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 am

He's a solid bull YA. how old is he now

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 am

I could not get the AAA website to bring that bull up by either name or registration #. Is there a Typo?

Btw: deep, wide. Nice bull.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:19 am

Coosh71 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:10 am
He's a solid bull YA. how old is he now
He was born 2-9-18.

I think he looks a little bit knee knocked, but not bad enough to effect the soundness of his offspring. Also his EPDs aren't the best, his CED is slightly below average and his $E and $B is slightly too low. Although these are low accuracy numbers so he might creep back toward average and I don't like to get caught up on numbers unless they are mind boggling below average or extremely high. I believe in everything in moderation is better.

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:20 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 am
I could not get the AAA website to bring that bull up by either name or registration #. Is there a Typo?

It doesn't look like it's wrong, but here is the direct link. Must be operator error ;-)

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... CONQ%3d%3d

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:23 am

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:20 am
Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:15 am

It doesn't look like it's wrong, but here is the direct link. Must be operator error ;-)

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... CONQ%3d%3d
Thanks.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 am

What would you guys recommend for sires to AI my purebreds to to great offspring that would mix well with these SAV lines for this guy to bred? He won't be turned out with the cow herd till next year but I will let him bred a few younger cows so he can learn how to wine and dine the ladies before he has to worry about covering the whole herd.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 am

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:31 am
What would you guys recommend for sires to AI my purebreds to to great offspring that would mix well with these SAV lines for this guy to bred? He won't be turned out with the cow herd till next year but I will let him bred a few younger cows so he can learn how to wine and dine the ladies before he has to worry about covering the whole herd.
Your bull looks good. My advice is to use him. Treating him like a china doll won’t help return your investment in him. Most breeders provide a first year breeding warranty so he should be covered for any injuries. Also by using him the first year you will find out whether you like his calves or not. If he was mine I would run him by himself for first few days of season and watch him in service. Then I would watch for those same cows the next cycle. A decent yearling can breed 30 to 35 cows if he is fertile and a capable breeder and doesn’t have to fight to get the right to service the said females.

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:03 am

I was told a young bull should service 1 cow per 1 month of age.

gizmom
GURU
GURU

Post by gizmom » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:56 am

I would be mighty excited to have that young bull in my pasture. Congratulations

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:11 am

YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:03 am
That is a conservative estimate. We run one yearling to 20 cows in multiple sire groups routinely. We expect 80% conception first cycle. Granted there are some bulls that are just poor breeders. My personal experience says the higher HP epd bulls settle more cows. At least that is the way it has worked the last two breeding seasons. If a well grown out yearling can’t breed and settle 20 cows he isn’t worth much. He most likely won’t be very effective as a two year old either.

YoungAngusCattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by YoungAngusCattle » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:27 am

W.B. wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:11 am
YoungAngusCattle wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:03 am
That is a conservative estimate. We run one yearling to 20 cows in multiple sire groups routinely. We expect 80% conception first cycle. Granted there are some bulls that are just poor breeders. My personal experience says the higher HP epd bulls settle more cows. At least that is the way it has worked the last two breeding seasons. If a well grown out yearling can’t breed and settle 20 cows he isn’t worth much. He most likely won’t be very effective as a two year old either.
Do you think yearling scrotal circumference is a better indicator of a yearling bulls ability to cover that many cows? He measured at 38.80 as a yearling. I would think that would be a better measuring stick than HP, plus he doesn't have any HP numbers in his EPD profile. Why is that?

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Post by frieghttrain » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:38 am

We run a yearling on 20+ head no problems. Looks like he's in good condition and could handle em just fine. Edit to add Good bull i like his width!
Quality doesn't have a color.