Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Cattle problems.
User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:37 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:23 am
Lucky_P wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 am
Grass tetany?
Retired, so I'm out of touch with what's going on across the state, but it's that time of year... saw a press release from Dr. Arnold earlier this week, and a Drovers article about numerous GT deaths in MO...
Lucky,

Our grass over here is still pretty puny. Only in the last 3 days has it started. Plus, Brookhill uses excellent mineral (I think he said he found a mineral better than Vitaferm which he had been using).

Just some information to consider!
No report back yet from U.K., we delivered her yesterday morning.

Here is my best guess, she laid down after eating, got herself in a position where she had trouble, perhaps she was bloated, not sure, then could not get up. She was in a position when I found her with her legs uphill. I'm chalking it up to a freak accident.

She was not one of the bigger cows, she was around 1700 pounds, never a ravenous eater like some of the others.

I prefer to see her in this light, R.I.P. you great momma.

265

266

I truly appreciate all the comments from the folks on CT. They have helped me a lot, believe it or not.

Time to move on, things happen, that's cattle for you, that's life for you. We have lost 3 cows in the past 5 years, we are almost obsessive about their care, but no matter how hard you may try to prevent things, there is always the outlier that hits. The other two passed because of leg issues, one went into a groundhog hole, broke her leg, nearly certain of it, and the other slipped near a hilly area and suffered a stifle injury. None of which we could have prevented unless we followed them around 24/7. Again, thank you all for the kind words.


"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:39 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:23 am
Lucky_P wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:19 am
Grass tetany?
Retired, so I'm out of touch with what's going on across the state, but it's that time of year... saw a press release from Dr. Arnold earlier this week, and a Drovers article about numerous GT deaths in MO...
Lucky,

Our grass over here is still pretty puny. Only in the last 3 days has it started. Plus, Brookhill uses excellent mineral (I think he said he found a mineral better than Vitaferm which he had been using).

Just some information to consider!
I have the mineral feeders full to the brim with Gro Tec Fescue 7 medicated, with Rabon mixed in for flies. They are highly unlikely to get grass tetany.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13011
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 pm

1,700 lbs “is not one of your bigger cows”, seriously?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 pm
1,700 lbs “is not one of your bigger cows”, seriously?
No, our average is about 1825 for a MATURE cow, our heifers are about 1500-1600 when they have their first calf, our low end for a cow is about 1600. The momma to our 1st Elation calf was about 1625, she is smaller framed.

When you come out, you will see what I'm saying is a fact.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13011
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 374 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:00 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:10 pm
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:03 pm
1,700 lbs “is not one of your bigger cows”, seriously?
No, our average is about 1825 for a MATURE cow, our heifers are about 1500-1600 when they have their first calf, our low end for a cow is about 1600. The momma to our 1st Elation calf was about 1625, she is smaller framed.

When you come out, you will see what I'm saying is a fact.
Not questioning your veracity just marveling at your weights.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1557
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 424 times
Been thanked: 358 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Silver » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm

We need to remember that there are 1825 lb cows and there are fat cows that weigh 1825. Just sayin'

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:36 am

Silver wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm
We need to remember that there are 1825 lb cows and there are fat cows that weigh 1825. Just sayin'
Mine are now down to around 1-2 pounds of supplementation a day, and they are transitioning to grass. I put hay in the rings and they take a lot longer to go through a bale. The hay will be removed soon, and then the daily grain ration pulled down even further, just a little each day to get their attention for moving them around from lot to lot and for any other reason I might need them to move for me.

With that said, they will be almost entirely on grass and clover soon, and the older cows will not drop below 1700 unless we have a drought or something drastic happens. They will maintain that size off grass as long as they are not crowded. The same goes for the 1800+ pounders, they won’t suddenly drop weight, they might lose some, but not much once the hit the grass. They have plenty of grass, shade and fresh water, no stress either, that keeps the weight on.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 am

Which calf is in the 2nd picture behind her?

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 am
Which calf is in the 2nd picture behind her?
That is her calf, President 8422 of Brookhill. The calf to the left of her is a President daughter.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

User avatar
NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 975
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 178 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am
NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 am
Which calf is in the 2nd picture behind her?
That is her calf, President 8422 of Brookhill. The calf to the left of her is a President daughter.
You have better pictures of their feet? I’ve never seen a front set and back set looks so diversely different. So I’m just wondering if it’s the photo themselves.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:14 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:45 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:47 am
NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:32 am
Which calf is in the 2nd picture behind her?
That is her calf, President 8422 of Brookhill. The calf to the left of her is a President daughter.
You have better pictures of their feet? I’ve never seen a front set and back set looks so diversely different. So I’m just wondering if it’s the photo themselves.
I’m going to halter break him later this week, will get the photos to you. It’s the photo that might be throwing you off, it’s taken with a wide angle 4K Go Pro, and the land is uneven where they are standing. His feet are very good. Charles told me that I would not see President progeny with bad feet.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2963
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Lucky_P » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 am

Didja ever get a diagnosis from the UK diagnostic lab?

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1983
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 282 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Ky hills » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:19 am

Lucky_P wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 am
Didja ever get a diagnosis from the UK diagnostic lab?
Can't speak for him as to whether or not. When we have taken things there it seems like it's a while getting results. The consensus around here is that if its anything that infects fast that a lot of loss and damage can be done before the results are relayed. I figure it takes a while for various culture samples to grow, and possibly this time of year there may be a lot of specimens to examine.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1644
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 403 times
Been thanked: 279 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Brookhill Angus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 am

Lucky_P wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 am
Didja ever get a diagnosis from the UK diagnostic lab?
Yes, they sent the results to our Vet yesterday and they were inconclusive. They could not determine her cause of death. I’m pretty certain she got herself in a position where she could not get up. Her feet were pointing uphill when we found her.

As for her chemical tests, she was completely healthy.

Just a case of bad luck overall.
"A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally." Oscar Wilde

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1622
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 131 times
Been thanked: 268 times

Re: Our President calf lost his mommy today. Very sad moment for us at Brookhill

Post by Ebenezer » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:40 am
Lucky_P wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:42 am
Didja ever get a diagnosis from the UK diagnostic lab?
Yes, they sent the results to our Vet yesterday and they were inconclusive. They could not determine her cause of death. I’m pretty certain she got herself in a position where she could not get up. Her feet were pointing uphill when we found her.

As for her chemical tests, she was completely healthy.

Just a case of bad luck overall.
Obesity has consequences.

Post Reply