Flood Irrigation

Discuss grasses and how to grow and harvest them.
Dave
GURU
GURU

Flood Irrigation

Post by Dave » Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Got to love flood irrigation. No power bill to pump water. No pumps or sprinklers to purchase and maintain. No hours moving pipe. Gravity still works and water will run down hill if given a chance. Every morning I go out and move about three of the dams. That just takes a few minutes each. Every 4 or 5 days I shut off the tap into a ditch and open a different one. That only takes a few seconds. I literally spend more time running the quad from one point to another than I do actually doing something at that site. The only down side is green grass with surface water under might be home for a mosquito or two or three million....

Dave
GURU
GURU

Re: Flood Irrigation

Post by Dave » Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 am

I have to go out and change the irrigation. It is time. It is raining out. What is wrong with that picture. Wearing a rain coat to change flood irrigation where the water in ankle deep on the ground.
Some of the guys down at the lower end of the ditch were complaining they weren't getting enough water. So yesterday we opened the head gate some more. They have plenty of water today.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu May 16, 2019 10:38 am

Dave wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm
Got to love flood irrigation. No power bill to pump water. No pumps or sprinklers to purchase and maintain. No hours moving pipe. Gravity still works and water will run down hill if given a chance. Every morning I go out and move about three of the dams. That just takes a few minutes each. Every 4 or 5 days I shut off the tap into a ditch and open a different one. That only takes a few seconds. I literally spend more time running the quad from one point to another than I do actually doing something at that site. The only down side is green grass with surface water under might be home for a mosquito or two or three million....

Flood irrigation...... We don't use the F word round here....
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Thu May 16, 2019 10:44 am

Pretty cheap way of growing hay all right. Our dams go in as soon as the ice leaves and come out in late June. A month later we can cut hay.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu May 16, 2019 11:16 am

your land has to be flat enough.. ours was ditch irrigated for years... from the 30's up until the late 70's... it washed a LOT of dirt downhill
I wouldn't mind not having to move pipe though.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu May 16, 2019 2:46 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 10:38 am
Dave wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 5:34 pm

Flood irrigation...... We don't use the F word round here....
My place on the Washington coast had a river in the back end that normally runs about 3-5,000 cubic feet a second. There were a couple of times it got up to 75,000 cubic feet per second. That is a lot of water going by and I was on an island.
Flood irrigation is a whole different thing. Think a couple inches of water flowing under you grass when and where you need it. Outside the irrigated meadows in the valley floor we get an average of 10 inches of rain annually.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 pm

Think a couple inches of water flowing under you grass
That's all the time except hard drought years...but it usually isn't just a couple inches. :)
My top water table is pretty high.. and deep.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Covet Not!

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu May 16, 2019 6:54 pm

greybeard wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 5:39 pm
Think a couple inches of water flowing under you grass
That's all the time except hard drought years...but it usually isn't just a couple inches. :)
My top water table is pretty high.. and deep.
I had a pasture like that on the coast. I often though I should be raising water buffalo instead of cattle.

Here I get to control how much water, when, and to a certain degree where it goes. The ditch on the south side of the valley irrigates about 900 acres. The one on the north side services about 500 acres. Both withdrawal head gates are on my property. That makes me the first one on both ditches. I get all the water I want.

Named'em Tamed'em
GURU
GURU

Post by Named'em Tamed'em » Thu May 16, 2019 11:14 pm

Will you cut it or put cows in?
Get over it! It could have been alot worse.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 am

Named'em Tamed'em wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 11:14 pm
Will you cut it or put cows in?
The irrigated ground gets cut for hay. Cows have miles and miles of range in the summer. They do get to eat off the regrowth in the fall. Over in the Baker Valley they graze irrigated pastures but they have a lot more acres of irrigated fields over there.