First cutting done

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
:banana: :banana: Got the rest of it wrapped up yesterday evening about 830, dang it was thick, 39 heavy 4x5 off of 6acres. Raining this morning, happy happy happy.

Congrats!! Finally got ours cut yesterday, raking today. As much as I cussed all the rain (specifically the flooding & collateral damage) the brome looks great this year. Hoping to get 300 bales but we'll see.

snoopdog said:
:banana: :banana: Got the rest of it wrapped up yesterday evening about 830, dang it was thick, 39 heavy 4x5 off of 6acres. Raining this morning, happy happy happy.

That's a good crop. What kind of grass ?

pricefarm said:
snoopdog said:

That's a good crop. What kind of grass ?
Mostly fescue, some wheat that was overmature, bermuda

i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.

cowrancher75 said:
i cut around 20 acres or so of where the cows have already been.. got rained on last night but hoping to get it up tomorrow. I was looking at the main hay fields and its up to the tractors hood.. gonna need 4 nice days for that to dry.

Over on this side of the Ohio, it has been tough harvesting hay. Hay harvest is behind last year. If this rain continues, we are going to have a repeat of last year.

Bright Raven said:
cowrancher75 said:

Over on this side of the Ohio, it has been tough harvesting hay. Hay harvest is behind last year. If this rain continues, we are going to have a repeat of last year.

we had one decent window but the fields were soaked. finally had another chance.. just had 2 nice days with a heavy wind.. if you had a conditioner and were on it you could make it in that window but i didn't have the time to get it up. I just checked out some hay fields and they still look great. it'll be interesting to see how these new grasses do with this long growing spell.

cowrancher75 said:
Bright Raven said:
cowrancher75 said:

we had one decent window but the fields were soaked. finally had another chance.. just had 2 nice days with a heavy wind.. if you had a conditioner and were on it you could make it in that window but i didn't have the time to get it up. I just checked out some hay fields and they still look great. it'll be interesting to see how these new grasses do with this long growing spell.

The growing season has been expanded at least a month. We should be starting to see some of the pasture going dormant but it looks like early May pasture.

This is our extended forecast. At this point I just have to assume everything I cut is going to get rained on at least once and accept it.

tomorrow evening I'll be baling the last of my first cut.. had decent luck but a few close calls.. got some really nice horse hay coming in now... just gotta find a sucker that'll pay well for these idiot bricks

cowrancher75 said:
We had 2 days with a stiff breeze, no humidity, and the uv was at max. I was still a little nervous about some of the low spots , but saved them for last. And of course the weather liars made me rush for no reason, had about half a tenth yesterday morning and nothing today. Had heavy rains predicted. Glad we got it up, but I would have preferred it being just a bit drier.

I bragged on one of our fields on Facebook, but we definitely got a better yield on the first 20 acres than normal. Normally, we'd get around 80 4x6 bales. This year, we decided to use an inline wrapper. Wheat hay (yes fertilized), 4x4 bales, and it made 252 bales. Figuring the volume, that would have been equal to around 125 4x6 bales. It was sure weird to not see the hay raked!

Gonna start cutting lease land tomorrow after I get a front tire mounted, can't get that sucker off the rim so I guess I'll pay to watch somebody else sweat.Wanted to have the mower on and roll out in the morning.

Got the tire changed,hay cut and they were calling for rain at noon this morning, no dew, I'm raking at 730am got done about 10, clouded over looking pretty ominous. I grease and lube everything when I'm done, but I like to hook up and run everything and give another shot for good measure, no time hook and go and pray for assistance.Well, it worked out, got it done by 1pm, and it's still looking ominous but hasn't rained a dang drop! The yield was not good, and if it would have got wet, I would have been in the hole, plus have to deal with a bunch of crappy hay, but it turned out ok.

Latest posts