What breed?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

Re: What breed?

Post by alisonb » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:02 am

Logan52 wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 pm
They remind me of the Red Polls I used to raise and still have a few of. Red Polls descend from the "red cattle" of southern England and are gentle, easy calvers that do well on grass. Looks like these Suffolks have more muscling than Red Polls, I guess due to the dual-purpose history of the Red Poll.
I started breeding mine to Charolais and most of my cows today are wheat colored half bloods that I really like. I breed them to Angus and get about 1/2 black and 1/2 dark nosed gray smokies that sell really well.
Do you have any pics that you can share with us please?

Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

andybob
GURU
GURU

Post by andybob » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm

The updated information I have is that the owner of the only established herd in the USA has died and the herd is being crossed with the commercial herd by his heirs. There is still a short term possibility to buy cows and bulls if anyone is keen on starting a herd,the person who is establishing a new herd is looking to import semen as the available bulls are larger than he wants, but the main emphasis on his herd is to supply Sussex for his own breeding program, so only a few would be available for selling on.The remaining available Sussex are on PeeGee ranch which I think id in MO but would need to check if that is correct.
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cbcr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 pm

The PeeGee Ranch is in Wyoming.

http://peegeeranch.com/for-sale/

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cbcr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:22 pm

andybob wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:00 pm
The updated information I have is that the owner of the only established herd in the USA has died and the herd is being crossed with the commercial herd by his heirs. There is still a short term possibility to buy cows and bulls if anyone is keen on starting a herd,the person who is establishing a new herd is looking to import semen as the available bulls are larger than he wants, but the main emphasis on his herd is to supply Sussex for his own breeding program, so only a few would be available for selling on.The remaining available Sussex are on PeeGee ranch which I think id in MO but would need to check if that is correct.
"anybob", is there a list of bulls in the UK that semen is available for export to the US?

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cbcr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:33 pm

Just received a message from the Sussex Breed Society in the UK.

Here is there response:

"Unfortunately none of the semen we have is qualified for USA. If there is sufficient interest we would consider collecting from a couple of bulls. If you can let me know how many straws might be required I can see what can be done"

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:28 pm

Redgully wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 am
cbcr wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am
Looking at the rare breeds list it is really surprising to see some of the breeds that are listed.
It is, the big breeds are killing the small breeds off. I wish the government would have semen and embryos put away so they are not lost or give out grants to farmers who are prepared to keep these breeds going.
What about the traditional Simmental's?? You don't see them like you use too ... the dual purpose type..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cbcr » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:44 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:28 pm
Redgully wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:46 am
cbcr wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am

Looking at the rare breeds list it is really surprising to see some of the breeds that are listed.
It is, the big breeds are killing the small breeds off. I wish the government would have semen and embryos put away so they are not lost or give out grants to farmers who are prepared to keep these breeds going.
What about the traditional Simmental's?? You don't see them like you use too ... the dual purpose type..
We have been registering the Fleckvieh dairy animals for the last 6 years. While the Fleckvieh / Simmental is a dual purpose animal, there are some of the lines that are much better for dairy and likewise other lines are better suited toward beef.

The is a beef group in the US that focuses on the Fullblood & Purebred traditional Fleckvieh / Simmental. We found out recently, that there are only about 1,200 registrations per year on the traditional Fleckvieh / Simmental yearly with the American Simmental Association.

This group feels that the association founded to represent their breed, no longer cares about them!

The sad thing is, this is pretty well true of all the other Continental breed registries. They no longer care about the original, traditional animals on which the associations were founded.

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:06 pm

This is a very interesting thread. A lot of the ideals that I saw at PeeGee Ranch represent several other efficient beef breeds. Sure like the type and style of the Sussex pictured and I hope to develop moderate versions of that phenotype within my Murray Grey breeding program.

I think gentle, efficient, easy keeping cattle is something every breeder should strive for. Longevity is a huge part of easy keeping cattle. I don't want to have to worry about replacing young cows every few years.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 pm

TwoByrdsMG wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:06 pm
This is a very interesting thread. A lot of the ideals that I saw at PeeGee Ranch represent several other efficient beef breeds. Sure like the type and style of the Sussex pictured and I hope to develop moderate versions of that phenotype within my Murray Grey breeding program.

I think gentle, efficient, easy keeping cattle is something every breeder should strive for. Longevity is a huge part of easy keeping cattle. I don't want to have to worry about replacing young cows every few years.
I absolutely agree, with that assessment. I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I realize I am there too. I think a lot of the mainstream breeds are being bred for this or that and reproductive efficiency and longevity are being compromised.

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Post by cow pollinater » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:00 pm

I seem to remember bumping into some sussex semen around a decade ago in a tank that had lots of neat stuff in it. I'll see if I can get ahold of the guy if he's still alive.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 pm

cow pollinater wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:00 pm
I seem to remember bumping into some sussex semen around a decade ago in a tank that had lots of neat stuff in it. I'll see if I can get ahold of the guy if he's still alive.
When you start looking around it is amazing what you can find. I just found three straws of a bull from 1977 that was meant to be a ripper. Red polls have no genetic issues like other breeds so no need to worry he might be carrying some defective gene. I had a mate who came across a heap of ampules a while back. It is out there, you just need to find it.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:16 pm

We do have several North Devon & Red Poll breeders in Minnesota tho I'm not sure if there are any South Devon or Sussex breeders. These red breeds seems like they'll work in crossbreeding programs for commercial guys.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 am

cbcr said: "It seem the Sussex work quite well in a crossbreeding environment, so with them being the dark red color they are, one would think that crossed on black hided animals that most of the calves would be black."

Unless the Sussex color gene is totally different, their dark red shouldn't make any difference in the possibility of getting black calves out of black sires. If the sire is homo black, all the offspring "should" be black. If the sire is hetero black, you have a 50/50 chance of getting reds.
But, I would think their shouldn't be any diluter genes running around in their genetics!! LOL so, no grey offspring.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:05 am
cbcr said: "It seem the Sussex work quite well in a crossbreeding environment, so with them being the dark red color they are, one would think that crossed on black hided animals that most of the calves would be black."

Unless the Sussex color gene is totally different, their dark red shouldn't make any difference in the possibility of getting black calves out of black sires. If the sire is homo black, all the offspring "should" be black. If the sire is hetero black, you have a 50/50 chance of getting reds.
But, I would think their shouldn't be any diluter genes running around in their genetics!! LOL so, no grey offspring.
:roll:

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:58 pm

Muddy, I should totally ignore like I normally do, but I'll bite. What didn't you like about my statement?
cbcr stated "with them being the dark red color they are, one would think that crossed on black hided animals that most of the calves would be black."
I was trying to point out that just because they are DARK red, it shouldn't make black any easier to acquire, but they are really, really unlikely to have any diluter gene floating around.
What is your problem?
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."