BOSCH CP4 HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL INJECTION PUMP FAILURE

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
Another reason to not own a diesel vehicle. With sulfur out of the fuel it ruins the lubrication. Clean diesel kills pumps. These pumps are in most diesels at least 2010 on up and maybe more.

https://www.forthepeople.com/class-action-lawyers/cp4-pump-failure-lawsuit/

Bosch CP4 high-pressure fuel injection pumps are used in newer and more fuel-efficient diesel engines installed on some American-made cars, trucks, and SUVs. The CP4 pump was introduced as a cost-saving measure, but instead of saving consumers money the pump reportedly fails prematurely. This can result in costly repairs.

Vehicles made by Ford, General Motors, Chevrolet, and Dodge, as well as diesel versions of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and some General Motors vans, have engines built with CP4 pumps. When a CP4 pump fails, it may not only destroy the injectors, but it can leave metal shavings in your fuel lines — which would require you to replace the entire system — and can even crack the gear and throw it through the engine's front timing, according to Diesel Tech Magazine.

The worst part about this issue is that auto dealerships are generally not covering this expensive defect under warranties. Most warranties exclude fuel contamination, and once a CP4 injector pump fails the metal shrapnel it sends throughout the engine and fuel system is considered contamination. Fixing this can cost consumers between $10,000 to $15,000.

If your vehicle is installed with a Bosch CP4 high-pressure fuel injection pump, our breach of warranty attorneys want to hear from you. We may be able to get the manufacturer to cover the costs to repair your vehicle, among other damages. Previously, we helped consumers affected by the Volkswagen emission and Takata airbag scandals. Contact us today to learn more about how we may be able to help you.

BOSCH CP4 HIGH-PRESSURE FUEL INJECTION PUMP FAILURE LAWSUIT

cp4-fuel-pump.jpg

Caustic Burno said:
LSD is the reason I run a quart of 2 cycle TC-W3 every fill up and have since 06.
In every diesel tractor and truck I put in Power Service, Stanadyne and also go through a lot of marvelous mystery oil, also have put 2-cycle oil mix in. Still I wonder is it enough. When they went to the EPA high pressure full systems it really made lube that much more needed. My old PS has none of that BS, but has some very expensive injectors and I try to keep them lubed. These fuel pumps sounds like a ticking bomb to me.

The only diesel I have is the tractor. I use what is called "Agriculture Specific Fuel Additive" by opti lube Ag.

Bright Raven said:
jltrent

What is your assessment of the diesel fuel additives like opti lube?
I have never used it, but probably good, as anything to replace the lost sulfur lube that was taken out will help.

I put a quart of ATF in every other fill up. About half a quart in the tractor, fuel tank on it is only 13 gallons.

I'd like to know what "premature failure" means. 25,000 miles or 225,000 miles? 500 hours or 5,000 hrs. Sounds like they are trying to sell something. Been driving a diesel for 20 years and never used a fuel additive but never put 200k on one either.

Hook2.0 said:
Atf makes a good diesel additive, so does the 2 stroke oil

After LSD came out a study showed 2 stroke TC-3W to be the best and cheapest to its competitors in Lubricity. After 06 most fuel would not meet the HFRR test and lubricants were added at the rack.
The process of making LSD reduces the Lubricity of Diesel, it destroys some of the longer chain paraffins.
Not all additives are LSD compliant in new systems. TC-3W is good for old trucks like mine without the environmental stuff.
With all the environmental garbage on the newer diesel I don't see the advantages to one any longer.

https://www.dieselnet.com/tech/fuel_diesel_lubricity.php

Lucky said:
I'd like to know what "premature failure" means. 25,000 miles or 225,000 miles? 500 hours or 5,000 hrs. Sounds like they are trying to sell something. Been driving a diesel for 20 years and never used a fuel additive but never put 200k on one either.

These HPCR pumps are a relatively new thing. They started using them in the mid 2000s. These failures are happening pretty early on, like less than 100k.

When the pump fails, it takes the whole fuel system with it. Injectors, lift pump, fuel lines, the tank, etc are all contaminated, so the bill is huge.

It's pretty much at dealer's discretion if they will cover it or not, they can just claim fuel contamination, and leave you stuck with a several thousand dollar bill, hence the lawsuit.

Atimm693 said:
Lucky said:

These HPCR pumps are a relatively new thing. They started using them in the mid 2000s. These failures are happening pretty early on, like less than 100k.

When the pump fails, it takes the whole fuel system with it. Injectors, lift pump, fuel lines, the tank, etc are all contaminated, so the bill is huge.

It's pretty much at dealer's discretion if they will cover it or not, they can just claim fuel contamination, and leave you stuck with a several thousand dollar bill, hence the lawsuit.

From the little I checked it seems to be a Duramax issue. I've never had any fuel issues besides injectors on our LBZ.

A lot of Fords also and all affected...........

Compatibility Issues with Fuel Injection Pumps in Ford F-Series Trucks

American diesel fuel is different than European diesel – who knew? – and that difference may be causing headaches for some Ford truck owners. The problem is this: the fuel pump that comes standard in the 2011-2017 Ford F-250, F-350 or F-450 trucks was originally built for European cars and more importantly, European diesel, which is generally thicker and more viscous than American fuel. Bosch's CP4 fuel injection pump is said to be struggling to lift enough fuel to lubricate itself, and as a result, the pump is running dry and allowing metal to rub against metal. If successful, a class action could help drivers get back some of the money they were forced to spend on repairs; drivers are reportedly shelling out anywhere between $8,000 and $20,000 after finding that their trucks shut off while in motion and/or were unable to be restarted.

True Grit Farms said:
Atimm693 said:
Lucky said:

From the little I checked it seems to be a Duramax issue. I've never had any fuel issues besides injectors on our LBZ.

Duramax was one of the first to run high pressure common rail.

It's not just GM though. Those Bosch pumps are sold to everyone, VW, Ford, GM, Dodge, etc.

I'd like to hear from a dozen or so people that actually had this happen to them on a stock truck. I know allot of people that drive a bunch of miles and nobody has had this issue. Not saying it's not the real deal, just hoping the aftermarket companies aren't searching for things to sell. It amazes me when I walk past the fuel additive section at the parts store, lots of choices there. My Ford is a 2018 so guess I'm good.

I have been waiting for this to happen.

They are all having the problem. If you make it to 100k you are good. Its hit or miss when it will happen.

I know a lot of people who have gotten hit on that issue. Some people are getting relief from the dealers but a lot aren't. The dealers are blaming it on fuel.

Be careful... they can void the warranty using additives also.

That's why I negotiate in the after market warranty to 120K miles. I usually pay around $800 for it and get my money's worth every time. Its a $100 deductible no matter what happens.

Brute 23 said:

They are all having the problem. If you make it to 100k you are good. Its hit or miss when it will happen.

I know a lot of people who have gotten hit on that issue. Some people are getting relief from the dealers but a lot aren't. The dealers are blaming it on fuel.

That's why I negotiate in the after market warranty to 120K miles. I usually pay around $800 for it and get my money's worth every time. Its a $100 deductible no matter what happens.

This is the exact reason I will be looking hard at Fords 7.3 gasser.

Caustic Burno said:
Brute 23 said:

This is the exact reason I will be looking hard at Fords 7.3 gasser.

I agree. I'm getting close to needing another one and I'm thinking about grabbing a 19' 6.0L Chevrolet 2500.

True Grit Farms said:
A FASS or AirDog fuel pump - filtration system will prevent the CP4 pump failures. It's not a Cummins problem so it's not my problem.

I'm pretty sure the new dodge diesels have them. GM got rid of them in 17 with the L5Ps.

I see it's only the ecodiesel, not the Cummins in the full size trucks.