Got me some more...

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Bought 2 bred heifers and a young pair at the Spruce Mountain Sale yesterday.

One lot calved a Diablo Deluxe calf. I was interested in Diablo Deluxe since he’s a Discovery son. His calving is way outside our window but I honestly bought this pair because of the calf. Mom looks fine, just stayed away from her initially because of the calving window. We’ll just breed her in our fall herd as we start to transition several of our girls into two calving groups.

Other two lots had a Playbook calf (parents are a Colonel x Wilks Rita (Exar Denver daughter) and the Gar Ashland calf will be out of a Basin Payweight x Deer Valley Barbara (maternal sib to Plattmere Weigh Up and a granddaughter to JMB Traction). Not familiar with Gar Ashland.

The one who calved already with a Diablo Deluxe is also a Colonel daughter. All look good online... couldn’t make it there this weekend, had a death in the family. The bottom two were ones we had circled to purchase... we had about 12 chosen. The one who calved was not.

Wanted ONE good female, I bought 3. They’ll arrive this week.

That sale was INTENSE. If I recall correctly, a 43k average? Holy Moly! Big congrats to them.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Got me some more...

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Congrats!
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Nice, I’ve heard good things about Colonels. Just about used him a few years ago. We’ve really like our Playbook calves.

Here’s Ashland at Genex

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm

LCBulls wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm
Nice, I’ve heard good things about Colonels. Just about used him a few years ago. We’ve really like our Playbook calves.

Here’s Ashland at Genex
Did you see him personally or is this a photo someone else’s? Trying to learn a little more about him.

We don’t have any Colonel daughters but most everything I’ve seen at sales, I’ve liked. He has the Styles pedigree, which I know makes good females. We do have a young bull that is cleaning up some heifers this season and he’s holding up nicely.

For someone who isn’t a fan of 1682, I’m sure ending up with a lot of his progeny...

You hear what anyone’s breeding these 1682s to? That Connealy 1682 is my husbands favorite heifer in our lot.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by LCBulls » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
LCBulls wrote:

Here’s Ashland at Genex
Did you see him personally or is this a photo someone else’s? Trying to learn a little more about him.

We don’t have any Colonel daughters but most everything I’ve seen at sales, I’ve liked. He has the Styles pedigree, which I know makes good females. We do have a young bull that is cleaning up some heifers this season and he’s holding up nicely.

For someone who isn’t a fan of 1682, I’m sure ending up with a lot of his progeny...

You hear what anyone’s breeding these 1682s to? That Connealy 1682 is my husbands favorite heifer in our lot.

We saw him up there. He was bigger framed than most of the bulls there. We thought about using him last spring. I think he should put out nice sized Bulls and should have good carcass traits

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 pm

LCBulls wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm
NEFarmwife wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
LCBulls wrote:

Here’s Ashland at Genex

We saw him up there. He was bigger framed than most of the bulls there. We thought about using him last spring. I think he should put out nice sized Bulls and should have good carcass traits
His numbers looked good carcass wise. Thought if she ends up giving us a bull calf, could be a good prospect for cleaning up our commercials but I guess we should get a live calf before I start thinking that far ahead.

Interests me on frame. I’m always curious what the breeder is thinking, since they know the dam and how they choose to breed her. Can’t wait to see them. Her dam has done pretty well at producing some nice looking progeny.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 pm

NEFarmWife,

Sounds like a good group, get some pictures when they get home, I would be interested in seeing them.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:46 pm

jscunn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 pm
NEFarmWife,

Sounds like a good group, get some pictures when they get home, I would be interested in seeing them.
Will do.

jscunn
GURU
GURU

Post by jscunn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm

NEFarmWife,
I am sure you have said on here before but why don't you like the 1682s. I have never used him only seen a couple so I was wondering. I always thought the better bull was his sire, but that is my opinion.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 pm

jscunn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm
NEFarmWife,
I am sure you have said on here before but why don't you like the 1682s. I have never used him only seen a couple so I was wondering. I always thought the better bull was his sire, but that is my opinion.
Very fair question and I don’t have an honest answer. I don’t like his look. I don’t see a balanced bull or quality amongst his calves.

I may be judging them too quickly but they don’t have any eye appeal as younger progeny.

We culled two grandsons. The only two we had. Retained a granddaughter and used one of his sons (Maverick) to flush with.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 pm
jscunn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm
NEFarmWife,
Very fair question and I don’t have an honest answer. I don’t like his look. I don’t see a balanced bull or quality amongst his calves.

I may be judging them too quickly but they don’t have any eye appeal as younger progeny.

We culled two grandsons. The only two we had. Retained a granddaughter and used one of his sons (Maverick) to flush with.
That’s funny, because I can spot 1682 sons no problem, same with Cowboy Up. They just got a different look. At the sales I’ve been to out here in the west, 1682 doesn’t top the sales, but usually has the best average. I’ve never seen any daughters, but there must be a slew of them out there.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:38 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Look great. Love the one by herself - profile pic. Nice facilities!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 pm
Look great. Love the one by herself - profile pic. Nice facilities!
She’s the one with the Diablo Deluxe calf at side. We had a few people gather up to the calving barn to take a peak at them and she appears to be a favorite.

But honestly, we are very impressed with all 3.

Edited to add a thanks. We’re very fortunate when it comes to our facilities.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:38 pm
They arrived.
https://www.facebook.com/609586731/post ... 31&sfns=mo

They all are very nice.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.