Got me some more...

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Bought 2 bred heifers and a young pair at the Spruce Mountain Sale yesterday.

One lot calved a Diablo Deluxe calf. I was interested in Diablo Deluxe since he’s a Discovery son. His calving is way outside our window but I honestly bought this pair because of the calf. Mom looks fine, just stayed away from her initially because of the calving window. We’ll just breed her in our fall herd as we start to transition several of our girls into two calving groups.

Other two lots had a Playbook calf (parents are a Colonel x Wilks Rita (Exar Denver daughter) and the Gar Ashland calf will be out of a Basin Payweight x Deer Valley Barbara (maternal sib to Plattmere Weigh Up and a granddaughter to JMB Traction). Not familiar with Gar Ashland.

The one who calved already with a Diablo Deluxe is also a Colonel daughter. All look good online... couldn’t make it there this weekend, had a death in the family. The bottom two were ones we had circled to purchase... we had about 12 chosen. The one who calved was not.

Wanted ONE good female, I bought 3. They’ll arrive this week.

That sale was INTENSE. If I recall correctly, a 43k average? Holy Moly! Big congrats to them.



User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14265
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 899 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm

Congrats!
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by LCBulls » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm

Nice, I’ve heard good things about Colonels. Just about used him a few years ago. We’ve really like our Playbook calves.

Here’s Ashland at Genex
Image

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm

LCBulls wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm
Nice, I’ve heard good things about Colonels. Just about used him a few years ago. We’ve really like our Playbook calves.

Here’s Ashland at Genex
Image
Did you see him personally or is this a photo someone else’s? Trying to learn a little more about him.

We don’t have any Colonel daughters but most everything I’ve seen at sales, I’ve liked. He has the Styles pedigree, which I know makes good females. We do have a young bull that is cleaning up some heifers this season and he’s holding up nicely.

For someone who isn’t a fan of 1682, I’m sure ending up with a lot of his progeny...

You hear what anyone’s breeding these 1682s to? That Connealy 1682 is my husbands favorite heifer in our lot.

LCBulls
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:18 am
Has thanked: 28 times
Been thanked: 61 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by LCBulls » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
LCBulls wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm
Nice, I’ve heard good things about Colonels. Just about used him a few years ago. We’ve really like our Playbook calves.

Here’s Ashland at Genex
Image
Did you see him personally or is this a photo someone else’s? Trying to learn a little more about him.

We don’t have any Colonel daughters but most everything I’ve seen at sales, I’ve liked. He has the Styles pedigree, which I know makes good females. We do have a young bull that is cleaning up some heifers this season and he’s holding up nicely.

For someone who isn’t a fan of 1682, I’m sure ending up with a lot of his progeny...

You hear what anyone’s breeding these 1682s to? That Connealy 1682 is my husbands favorite heifer in our lot.


We saw him up there. He was bigger framed than most of the bulls there. We thought about using him last spring. I think he should put out nice sized Bulls and should have good carcass traits

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 pm

LCBulls wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm
NEFarmwife wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
LCBulls wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:55 pm
Nice, I’ve heard good things about Colonels. Just about used him a few years ago. We’ve really like our Playbook calves.

Here’s Ashland at Genex
Image
Did you see him personally or is this a photo someone else’s? Trying to learn a little more about him.

We don’t have any Colonel daughters but most everything I’ve seen at sales, I’ve liked. He has the Styles pedigree, which I know makes good females. We do have a young bull that is cleaning up some heifers this season and he’s holding up nicely.

For someone who isn’t a fan of 1682, I’m sure ending up with a lot of his progeny...

You hear what anyone’s breeding these 1682s to? That Connealy 1682 is my husbands favorite heifer in our lot.


We saw him up there. He was bigger framed than most of the bulls there. We thought about using him last spring. I think he should put out nice sized Bulls and should have good carcass traits
His numbers looked good carcass wise. Thought if she ends up giving us a bull calf, could be a good prospect for cleaning up our commercials but I guess we should get a live calf before I start thinking that far ahead.

Interests me on frame. I’m always curious what the breeder is thinking, since they know the dam and how they choose to breed her. Can’t wait to see them. Her dam has done pretty well at producing some nice looking progeny.

User avatar
jscunn
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1513
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Northwest Florida
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by jscunn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 pm

NEFarmWife,

Sounds like a good group, get some pictures when they get home, I would be interested in seeing them.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:46 pm

jscunn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:01 pm
NEFarmWife,

Sounds like a good group, get some pictures when they get home, I would be interested in seeing them.
Will do.

User avatar
jscunn
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1513
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Northwest Florida
Has thanked: 61 times
Been thanked: 148 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by jscunn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm

NEFarmWife,
I am sure you have said on here before but why don't you like the 1682s. I have never used him only seen a couple so I was wondering. I always thought the better bull was his sire, but that is my opinion.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 pm

jscunn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm
NEFarmWife,
I am sure you have said on here before but why don't you like the 1682s. I have never used him only seen a couple so I was wondering. I always thought the better bull was his sire, but that is my opinion.
Very fair question and I don’t have an honest answer. I don’t like his look. I don’t see a balanced bull or quality amongst his calves.

I may be judging them too quickly but they don’t have any eye appeal as younger progeny.

We culled two grandsons. The only two we had. Retained a granddaughter and used one of his sons (Maverick) to flush with.

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by CreekAngus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:09 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:34 pm
jscunn wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:18 pm
NEFarmWife,
I am sure you have said on here before but why don't you like the 1682s. I have never used him only seen a couple so I was wondering. I always thought the better bull was his sire, but that is my opinion.
Very fair question and I don’t have an honest answer. I don’t like his look. I don’t see a balanced bull or quality amongst his calves.

I may be judging them too quickly but they don’t have any eye appeal as younger progeny.

We culled two grandsons. The only two we had. Retained a granddaughter and used one of his sons (Maverick) to flush with.
That’s funny, because I can spot 1682 sons no problem, same with Cowboy Up. They just got a different look. At the sales I’ve been to out here in the west, 1682 doesn’t top the sales, but usually has the best average. I’ve never seen any daughters, but there must be a slew of them out there.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:38 pm


User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11123
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 583 times
Been thanked: 838 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Look great. Love the one by herself - profile pic. Nice facilities!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1172
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 98 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:54 pm

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:10 pm
Look great. Love the one by herself - profile pic. Nice facilities!
She’s the one with the Diablo Deluxe calf at side. We had a few people gather up to the calving barn to take a peak at them and she appears to be a favorite.

But honestly, we are very impressed with all 3.

Edited to add a thanks. We’re very fortunate when it comes to our facilities.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14265
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 899 times
Been thanked: 858 times

Re: Got me some more...

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:33 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:38 pm
They arrived.
https://www.facebook.com/609586731/post ... 31&sfns=mo

They all are very nice.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Post Reply