banding bull calves

Cattle problems.
Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

banding bull calves

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am

I have traditionally banded my bull calves shortly after birth, within a few days. This year I was thinking about just waiting until I run cows through for A.I. This would put the bulls at about 2-3 months old. Are there any considerations I need be aware of if I delay like this? I just use the small donut bander. And I'm not looking for a band vs cut discussion.
Thanks

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Re: banding bull calves

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:32 am

Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:29 am
I have traditionally banded my bull calves shortly after birth, within a few days. This year I was thinking about just waiting until I run cows through for A.I. This would put the bulls at about 2-3 months old. Are there any considerations I need be aware of if I delay like this? I just use the small donut bander. And I'm not looking for a band vs cut discussion.
Thanks
That will work just as well assuming the donut fits. Remember to administer a tetanus shot.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:32 am
Bcompton53 wrote:
Thanks
That will work just as well assuming the donut fits. Remember to administer a tetanus shot.
Yeah, I have had some get a little big. Takes some maneuvering to get both oysters below the band.
I guess this isn't the time to tell you that myself, nor my dad have ever given tetanus when banding? I suppose we should, but so far it's been cheaper to not. Is tetanus a regional thing?

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:43 am

Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Bcompton53 wrote:
Thanks
Yeah, I have had some get a little big. Takes some maneuvering to get both oysters below the band.
I guess this isn't the time to tell you that myself, nor my dad have ever given tetanus when banding? I suppose we should, but so far it's been cheaper to not. Is tetanus a regional thing?
Well you said I couldn't offer a cut vs band response (we cut) so I had to throw in the tetanus recommendation. I have read on this forum that a tetanus shot was the preferred protocol so I repeated it to make me sound more authoritative.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:44 am

I use the bigger bander that uses the surgical tubing bands. It has more room for a larger scrotum. As long as they have had the two tetanus toxoid shots, you are fine.

Edited: Clostridium tetani is ubiquitous worldwide
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:43 am
Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:40 am
TennesseeTuxedo wrote:

Well you said I couldn't offer a cut vs band response (we cut) so I had to throw in the tetanus recommendation. I have read on this forum that a tetanus shot was the preferred protocol so I repeated it to make me sound more authoritative.
I definitely wasn't arguing with you. It does seem to be normal protocol. Yeah I just didn't want a bunch of responses that said "don't band, banding is bad. Cutting is good. etc ". Kinda like saying "No trades" on a sale ad. If you don't, you'll get all kinds of funny offers. haha

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am

any one used the "zip bandit?"

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 am

Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am
I'm not familiar.

Buck Randall
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Buck Randall » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm

Tetanus risk is variable by region and farm. I've personally never seen it in calves that were banded at birth. The risk goes up significantly as calves get older and the band makes a bigger wound.

sstterry
GURU
GURU

Post by sstterry » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:20 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 am
Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:55 am
I'm not familiar.
I have on larger bulls with success. They have been temporarily out of business due to a legal dispute, but I have been assured they would be reselling soon.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 pm

I now band when we work them at appx 3 months and use both the large & small, contingent on the size of the calf (the exception is a cryptorchid and then it's cut). I would definitely recommend a tetanus toxoid in this blazing hot KS summer and make sure they get up a move a couple times a day.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm

TCRanch wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 pm
I now band when we work them at appx 3 months and use both the large & small, contingent on the size of the calf (the exception is a cryptorchid and then it's cut). I would definitely recommend a tetanus toxoid in this blazing hot KS summer and make sure they get up a move a couple times a day.
calves aren't born yet. They'll be here late sept-october. So it would be December when they'd be banded.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:36 pm

Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:29 pm
TCRanch wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 pm
calves aren't born yet. They'll be here late sept-october. So it would be December when they'd be banded.
Gotcha. I would still recommend a tetanus toxoid as a relatively inexpensive precaution, especially if they're all bedded down together. Doesn't matter how many times you scrape, it still gets nasty around bales, in barns, lots, etc. 50 doses of Covexin 8 is around $40-45.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm

oh shoot, I didn't realize covexin 8 has the tetanus portion. That's what I give when we AI cows, and again at weaning. So, I'm set! Thanks!

So I guess I have been giving the tetanus, but typically several months after being banded.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Bcompton53 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Bcompton53 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:39 pm
oh shoot, I didn't realize covexin 8 has the tetanus portion. That's what I give when we AI cows, and again at weaning. So, I'm set! Thanks!

So I guess I have been giving the tetanus, but typically several months after being banded.
ha, I realized how this sounds.....to clarify, when I say "that's what we give when we AI cows" What I mean is, that's what we give the calves by their side when we have their mothers in to AI.