Hereford Bull with Growth on Eyelid

Help Support CattleToday:

NewMoo

Reaction score
We have a mature Hereford bull with a hard, woody-looking growth on the side of his eye. It changes size from time to time, but doesn't appear to bother him. No discharge or excessive rubbing.

See photo.

Thanks!

I'd take that bull to the vet and have him/her remove it. Cancer eye is most likely but can be successfully treated if caught early and hasn't spread (check his lymph nodes). I've had one cow with cancer eye in the early stage. Vet removed the 3rd eyelid in both eyes (as a precaution) and going on 3 years later she's doing great. BTW she's an Angus/Hereford. That big mass on your bull doesn't really fit my definition of "early" but I'm not a vet.

I'd get a vet to remove that for no other reason than it is going to get bumped or caught on something and tear up his eye. might want to send to a pathology lab too, or maybe vet will know what it is. could be nothing but the physical risk of injury would bother me.

Depends on how long he has had it. Could be just a benign tumour, or the start of something worse. If it started to spread, get inflamed, or having discharge, then I would send him packing. When it comes to cancer, I don't spend money trying to prolong their life, as it is a cost which has to be recouped and automatically puts you behind the 8 ball for profit on that animal. I got sentimental last year and kept a cow for one extra month too long so she could raise her calf and it got into her lymph nodes so she ended up getting a bullet. Normally I send them packing as soon as I see a growth, but hers didn't start until a few weeks before she calved, so in 5 months it went from weepy eyelid to full-blown swollen lymph nodes.

It doesn't look like a normal carcinoma that Herefords are known for, it seems to be more cutaneous and is very keratinised. It may come off OK. I think it might be worthwhile taking it to a Vet re removal.

Ken

Aaron said:
Depends on how long he has had it. Could be just a benign tumour, or the start of something worse. If it started to spread, get inflamed, or having discharge, then I would send him packing. When it comes to cancer, I don't spend money trying to prolong their life, as it is a cost which has to be recouped and automatically puts you behind the 8 ball for profit on that animal. I got sentimental last year and kept a cow for one extra month too long so she could raise her calf and it got into her lymph nodes so she ended up getting a bullet. Normally I send them packing as soon as I see a growth, but hers didn't start until a few weeks before she calved, so in 5 months it went from weepy eyelid to full-blown swollen lymph nodes.
I'd say it depends on the stage of cancer & age of the cow (or bull). Vet charged $35.00 for the exam/removing the eyelids, no meds, wasn't in her lymph nodes. She's given me 2 calves since and is due with her 9th at the end of Feb (she's almost 10). Still in excellent condition (actually a little too fat) so the expense of keeping her has been worth it - IMO.

TCRanch said:
Aaron said:
I'd say it depends on the stage of cancer & age of the cow (or bull). Vet charged $35.00 for the exam/removing the eyelids, no meds, wasn't in her lymph nodes. She's given me 2 calves since and is due with her 9th at the end of Feb (she's almost 10). Still in excellent condition (actually a little too fat) so the expense of keeping her has been worth it - IMO.

That is an incredibly cheap vet; must be older and have paid off his practice. Same procedure here would cost 10x that. Couldn't even get a vet to drive to farm for $35.

Same procedure here would cost 10x that. Couldn't even get a vet to drive to farm for $35.
Here as well. $125 before they step foot out of their rig. Sky's the limit after that.
I'm with Ken...doesn't look like classic cancer eye but you never know. Whatever, if indeed its cancer eye the animal is on borrowed time and if judged so at a sale yard and unless proven otherwise at a slaughter facility will be condemned.

76 Bar said:
Same procedure here would cost 10x that. Couldn't even get a vet to drive to farm for $35.
Here as well. $125 before they step foot out of their rig. Sky's the limit after that.
I'm with Ken...doesn't look like classic cancer eye but you never know. Whatever, if indeed its cancer eye the animal is on borrowed time and if judged so at a sale yard and unless proven otherwise at a slaughter facility will be condemned.

Yowza! Point taken. We're incredibly lucky the vet clinic is all of 20 minutes away so generally just take them in but a trip charge is a whopping $30 that I don't hesitate to pay. And yes, the clinic has been in the family for 2 generations but the vet that does primarily large animals is very young.

Ship him it's cancer or precancer of some form. I had a cow with a little growth like that and the next thing I new she had a nasty case of cancer eye.