Baytril 100

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Anyone have success with Baytril 100 for treating pneumonia?

Had a weaned heifer calf with pneumonia, treated with Resflor Gold and she seemed perfectly fine for 3 weeks but started looking punky again, had a temp. Re-treated but this time with no improvement so brought her to the barn and called the vet for either Draxxin or Zuprevo. Vet was in surgery but the vet tech relayed messages, called me back 20 minutes later and said the vet recommended Baytril 100 (the single dose, 30cc for a 600 lb calf) with Banamine Transdermal. Picked it up along with his post-it note of instructions. That was on a Friday with very little improvement over the weekend and I thought I was going to lose her. She wasn't eating or drinking so I drenched her with electrolytes and gave her Pro Bios and Nursemate ASAP - anything to get liquids and calories in her. Called the vet first thing Monday, once again relayed messages via the vet tech but basically insisted on Draxxin. Bingo! Took a couple days to really see an improvement but she now looks great, no rasping or coughing, appetite has kicked into high gear and she wants out of prison in the worse way. All good!

So back to the Baytril 100: has anyone had better results with the multiple day therapy? What else can I use it for, since I bought a 100 ml bottle and not real thrilled about it's results for pneumonia?

I'm not sure this is legal usage, so I will say I have heard this works very well.

When there is one that is very sick give it a shot of draxxin, and baytril. The baytril works much more quickly, and the draxxin kicks in about the time it wears off to help make sure the calf if completely over the hump.

I've been told this works very very well :cowboy:

I cannot explain, how bad this vfd deal pizzes me off! I have had 2 calves die, because of it, had the vet out, but he didn't have what was needed on the truck, We have since quit doing business. I told him the last time, I will get it somewhere, and I did, calf saved.

snoopdog said:
I cannot explain, how bad this vfd deal pizzes me off! I have had 2 calves die, because of it, had the vet out, but he didn't have what was needed on the truck, We have since quit doing business. I told him the last time, I will get it somewhere, and I did, calf saved.
Snoop, I'm a little confused. The VFD is antibiotics in feed. My vet wrote me a VFD for aureomycin (chlortetracycline/CTC) for my calves at weaning (add to their feed for 5 days, 1 day off, resume for another 5 days) as a preventative aide against pneumonia. Is that what you're referring to? Most antibiotics used to treat pneumonia already require a RX; the OTC's such as LA200/300, penicillin, etc. will soon require a RX. What did the vet use to treat the calves that died?

I was actually referring to the otc stuff not being avaliable without rx, mostly. We used to use the additive in feed the same way, with bought unweaned calves. I don't remember What the vet used, its been a couple of years, in his defense, one was PI positive.

snoopdog said:
I was actually referring to the otc stuff not being avaliable without rx, mostly. We used to use the additive in feed the same way, with bought unweaned calves. I don't remember What the vet used, its been a couple of years, in his defense, one was PI positive.

Gotcha. I'm lucky I can pretty much call or stop in at the vet and they'll fix me up. But they're also all of 20 minutes from the ranch & are out here every year, know my operation. Yeah, the current OTC's will prob be more expensive directly from the vet but online shopping & our local CoOp's don't make house calls in the middle of the night.

I raise lots of bottle calves. I've had great results using baytril 100 for pneumonia and scours too. I find it works best to give 5cc per 100 pounds then repeat 2 days later if needed. If that did not get it, I use nuflor. I want to caution you about using nuflor on bulls you intent to use for future breeding. Nuflor causes testicular degeneration. It ruined a nice registered shorthorn bull I had. The warning is on the bottle and box. I do also give banamine whenever I give antibiotics. I also give probias everyday while giving antibiotics. If they are a bottle baby, I also add a tablespoon of baking soda to the milk. I've only had a vet use draxxin on one calf. It died. Baytril has brought back some that looked near dead.

darcelina4 said:
I raise lots of bottle calves. I've had great results using baytril 100 for pneumonia and scours too. I find it works best to give 5cc per 100 pounds then repeat 2 days later if needed. If that did not get it, I use nuflor. I want to caution you about using nuflor on bulls you intent to use for future breeding. Nuflor causes testicular degeneration. It ruined a nice registered shorthorn bull I had. The warning is on the bottle and box. I do also give banamine whenever I give antibiotics. I also give probias everyday while giving antibiotics. If they are a bottle baby, I also add a tablespoon of baking soda to the milk. I've only had a vet use draxxin on one calf. It died. Baytril has brought back some that looked near dead.

Thanks for the info! So, another round 2 days later would probably have been more effective with my heifer. And Resflor Gold (essentially the same as Nuflor but includes Banamine) also indicates should not be used in breeding animals. All our bull calves are steered and I don't retain any heifers I've treated. Had one bull with pneumonia a few years ago & the vet gave him Draxxin.

Fortunately have very few scours because all the calves get a First Defense bolus day 1 but good to know Baytril is an effective treatment.