Baytril 100

Cattle problems.
Post Reply
User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 754 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Baytril 100

Post by TCRanch » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:51 am

Anyone have success with Baytril 100 for treating pneumonia?

Had a weaned heifer calf with pneumonia, treated with Resflor Gold and she seemed perfectly fine for 3 weeks but started looking punky again, had a temp. Re-treated but this time with no improvement so brought her to the barn and called the vet for either Draxxin or Zuprevo. Vet was in surgery but the vet tech relayed messages, called me back 20 minutes later and said the vet recommended Baytril 100 (the single dose, 30cc for a 600 lb calf) with Banamine Transdermal. Picked it up along with his post-it note of instructions. That was on a Friday with very little improvement over the weekend and I thought I was going to lose her. She wasn't eating or drinking so I drenched her with electrolytes and gave her Pro Bios and Nursemate ASAP - anything to get liquids and calories in her. Called the vet first thing Monday, once again relayed messages via the vet tech but basically insisted on Draxxin. Bingo! Took a couple days to really see an improvement but she now looks great, no rasping or coughing, appetite has kicked into high gear and she wants out of prison in the worse way. All good!

So back to the Baytril 100: has anyone had better results with the multiple day therapy? What else can I use it for, since I bought a 100 ml bottle and not real thrilled about it's results for pneumonia?



T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SW kansas
Has thanked: 92 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by T & B farms » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:00 pm

I’m not sure this is legal usage, so I will say I have heard this works very well.

When there is one that is very sick give it a shot of draxxin, and baytril. The baytril works much more quickly, and the draxxin kicks in about the time it wears off to help make sure the calf if completely over the hump.

I’ve been told this works very very well :cowboy:

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3230
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Has thanked: 158 times
Been thanked: 344 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by gizmom » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:18 pm

T&B

I have bon told the very same thing.

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 754 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by TCRanch » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Good to know, thanks!

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by snoopdog » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:53 pm

I cannot explain, how bad this vfd deal pizzes me off! I have had 2 calves die, because of it, had the vet out, but he didn't have what was needed on the truck, We have since quit doing business. I told him the last time, I will get it somewhere, and I did, calf saved.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 754 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by TCRanch » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 am

snoopdog wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:53 pm
I cannot explain, how bad this vfd deal pizzes me off! I have had 2 calves die, because of it, had the vet out, but he didn't have what was needed on the truck, We have since quit doing business. I told him the last time, I will get it somewhere, and I did, calf saved.
Snoop, I'm a little confused. The VFD is antibiotics in feed. My vet wrote me a VFD for aureomycin (chlortetracycline/CTC) for my calves at weaning (add to their feed for 5 days, 1 day off, resume for another 5 days) as a preventative aide against pneumonia. Is that what you're referring to? Most antibiotics used to treat pneumonia already require a RX; the OTC's such as LA200/300, penicillin, etc. will soon require a RX. What did the vet use to treat the calves that died?

User avatar
snoopdog
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1490
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:16 am
Location: ne oklahoma
Has thanked: 629 times
Been thanked: 253 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by snoopdog » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm

I was actually referring to the otc stuff not being avaliable without rx, mostly. We used to use the additive in feed the same way, with bought unweaned calves. I don't remember What the vet used, its been a couple of years, in his defense, one was PI positive.
Being poor is the most expensive thing there is

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 754 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by TCRanch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:45 pm

snoopdog wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:06 pm
I was actually referring to the otc stuff not being avaliable without rx, mostly. We used to use the additive in feed the same way, with bought unweaned calves. I don't remember What the vet used, its been a couple of years, in his defense, one was PI positive.
Gotcha. I'm lucky I can pretty much call or stop in at the vet and they'll fix me up. But they're also all of 20 minutes from the ranch & are out here every year, know my operation. Yeah, the current OTC's will prob be more expensive directly from the vet but online shopping & our local CoOp's don't make house calls in the middle of the night.

User avatar
darcelina4
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:13 pm
Has thanked: 85 times
Been thanked: 39 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by darcelina4 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 pm

I raise lots of bottle calves. I've had great results using baytril 100 for pneumonia and scours too. I find it works best to give 5cc per 100 pounds then repeat 2 days later if needed. If that did not get it, I use nuflor. I want to caution you about using nuflor on bulls you intent to use for future breeding. Nuflor causes testicular degeneration. It ruined a nice registered shorthorn bull I had. The warning is on the bottle and box. I do also give banamine whenever I give antibiotics. I also give probias everyday while giving antibiotics. If they are a bottle baby, I also add a tablespoon of baking soda to the milk. I've only had a vet use draxxin on one calf. It died. Baytril has brought back some that looked near dead.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4145
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 754 times
Been thanked: 360 times

Re: Baytril 100

Post by TCRanch » Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:01 am

darcelina4 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:53 pm
I raise lots of bottle calves. I've had great results using baytril 100 for pneumonia and scours too. I find it works best to give 5cc per 100 pounds then repeat 2 days later if needed. If that did not get it, I use nuflor. I want to caution you about using nuflor on bulls you intent to use for future breeding. Nuflor causes testicular degeneration. It ruined a nice registered shorthorn bull I had. The warning is on the bottle and box. I do also give banamine whenever I give antibiotics. I also give probias everyday while giving antibiotics. If they are a bottle baby, I also add a tablespoon of baking soda to the milk. I've only had a vet use draxxin on one calf. It died. Baytril has brought back some that looked near dead.
Thanks for the info! So, another round 2 days later would probably have been more effective with my heifer. And Resflor Gold (essentially the same as Nuflor but includes Banamine) also indicates should not be used in breeding animals. All our bull calves are steered and I don't retain any heifers I've treated. Had one bull with pneumonia a few years ago & the vet gave him Draxxin.

Fortunately have very few scours because all the calves get a First Defense bolus day 1 but good to know Baytril is an effective treatment.

Post Reply