Advice— what size shredder and tractor

Discuss your favorite brand and how to fix it.
spartacus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Advice— what size shredder and tractor

Post by spartacus » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:52 am

sstterry wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:22 am
spartacus wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:59 pm
sstterry wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:14 am
I would add here that you need to make sure that the gearbox(s) on the cutter is rated for at least the size of the tractor you are going to use.

BTW, where are you located? The reason I ask is the "reindeer" comment.
North Texas. Have looked into them and they are considered livestock in Texas and while they are sensitive to extreme heat, they actually are closely related to whitetail so they can survive in our climate with some special provisions. We are literally just exploring this as it’s a new idea for us. It’s a small place so there are limitations to what we can do with it and we are just exploring our options.
Just curious, what is the market for reindeer? Maybe we could start a reindeer craze like the Alpaca crazed from years ago. :cowboy:
It would only be something I would do if we do indeed proceed with a Christmas tree farm. There are very few people around the country doing reindeer for a variety of reasons, not the meat of which no one wants to use the meat. But it’s basically domesticated caribou so it would be similar to elk or venison. They don’t tolerate extreme heat well so they have to be sheltered in the south...hence the major drawback and why I would only do a small number primarily for Christmas and special events. And frankly I’m still not sure if it’s even something we will actually do, just something we are exploring