First one on the ground!!

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
I love calfing season and seeing these new little guys and gals. This lil fellar about 4 hours old in this pic. Limousine/angus cross. First one of the year for me.

Always good to see those babies drop! That is a lot of Broom Sage... do you bushhog it down or just leave it? It's a good thing we have some nice weather for December here in TN this year!

TN Cattle Man said:
Always good to see those babies drop! That is a lot of Broom Sage... do you bushhog it down or just leave it? It's a good thing we have some nice weather for December here in TN this year!

Bush Hog it. I've put tons of lime on it and I can't get rid of it. Soil tests are good. I don't know what to do.

CCCowman said:
TN Cattle Man said:

Bush Hog it. I've put tons of lime on it and I can't get rid of it. Soil tests are good. I don't know what to do.
If your soil tests are good (PH +6), the best thing you can do is cut it down to nothing then drill in a good pasture blend like Fescue, Orchard Grass, Timothy, and Clover.

TN Cattle Man said:
CCCowman said:
TN Cattle Man said:

If your soil tests are good (PH +6), the best thing you can do is cut it down to nothing then drill in a good pasture blend like Fescue, Orchard Grass, Timothy, and Clover.

What time frame would you do that??

MurraysMutts said:
Did ya get any more babies?
Dont look like we are. Christmas baby was the last one of the year!
MERRY NEW YEAR!
:cboy:
Yes sir. 2 yesterday and 1 today.

Happy New year!!

CCCowman said:
TN Cattle Man said:
CCCowman said:

What time frame would you do that??
The best time to drill seed here in Middle TN is late Fall. I have seen success with a Spring planting but Mother Nature has a lot to say about that. The weather here in Spring can really set you back. Good Luck!

CCCowman said:
I love calfing season and seeing these new little guys and gals.
I love calving season too. Amazes me every year how the calf plops out, mama licks him off, and calf finds that teat in just a few minutes (how does it know to do that).

Good looking calf congrats, love seeing those babies, especially when they get their feet under them, they are BIG cows, and so comical!

I had my first of this year 2 days ago. Had to give mama a lil help. Shes a heifer and probly my favorite.
She couldnt get his big ol head out. I got home from my day job and she had evidently been at it a lil while. Got my rope and went to work. Pull, mama push, pull, mama push. We got it! Mama was down for about half an hour. Nice when they are calm enough u can help in the field. Had a few gawkers. None of em offered to help me. Just nosy...

Yeah. Hes an interesting lil mutt. Hes got some white on his belly too. Dad is supposed to be angus w a lil sim. Mama is angus w a touch of chi. I've got 2 more heifers bred to that bull. Gotta watch em. He is not heifer friendly evidently. Both bull calves I've got out of him have been whoppers. I've got 1 heifer calf out of him that was medium size.

Theres papa on the left.

Latest posts