Land for Sale ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve said:
With $30 oil, I assume old money is driving up the price of Texas land?

Nope. Texas is managed properly from the top down, and centrally located in the more temperate climate zones, making it conducive to commerce and lifestyles.

Stocker Steve said:
With $30 oil, I assume old money is driving up the price of Texas land?
I don't know about Texas, but the oil Johnny's that have done well here in the last few years are still drilling. It's not on a scale with the 80's boom but lower prices don't kill them like it used too, they apparently have high enough production to ride it out, and you won't find a more oil unfriendly state than The People's Republic of Illinois. (Thanks Chicago)

Chevy said:
Bigfoot said:
Very seldom does land sell here. I don'y know what the current price is. Really depends on if the Amish want it or not.

What do you mean? It's not selling or people ratherly sell?

I'm Western Kentucky. 🤔🤫

If its a larger tracks, tillable, or pasture they don't come up for sale very often here. Or affordable. If its 300 acres it's over million or mill and half. And you can forgot a house. If there is a old farm house add another half million. Anybody with that kind of money most likely isn't a farmer. 🤔🤓🤧

If I had a million or 2 well nevermind yea I would buy land and cows. 😝🤑💸🐄

Rarely offered for sale. When it does sell, there was no public offering.

Bigfoot said:
Chevy said:
Bigfoot said:
Very seldom does land sell here. I don'y know what the current price is. Really depends on if the Amish want it or not.

I'm Western Kentucky. 🤔🤫

If its a larger tracks, tillable, or pasture they don't come up for sale very often here. Or affordable. If its 300 acres it's over million or mill and half. And you can forgot a house. If there is a old farm house add another half million. Anybody with that kind of money most likely isn't a farmer. 🤔🤓🤧

I do agree with that. 😊 What part of Kentucky do you live?

Chevy said:
Bigfoot said:
Chevy said:

I'm Western Kentucky. 🤔🤫

I do agree with that. 😊 What part of Kentucky do you live?

Christian County

While we are on the subject of land for sale, does anyone know anybody that buys land to run cattle on that didn't get a start with family land or equipment? I'm talking about someone with no cattle experience or background and an average job that goes out and buys 300-400 or more acres, cows, equipment, etc and really tries to make it work? Maybe some on this board have? I really don't know of anyone with no previous help or background doing this, it's a little scary for the cattle biz long term.

Lucky said:
While we are on the subject of land for sale, does anyone know anybody that buys land to run cattle on that didn't get a start with family land or equipment? I'm talking about someone with no cattle experience or background and an average job that goes out and buys 300-400 or more acres, cows, equipment, etc and really tries to make it work? Maybe some on this board have? I really don't know of anyone with no previous help or background doing this, it's a little scary for the cattle biz long term.

I can give you 2 examples: Me and a guy from whom I bought hay one year.....and he brought me a turkey on that Thanksgiving:

I bought my farm in 1978, something that I could afford and felt that I could manage.....way less than the size you mentioned. I was a city boy all my life and just felt that my kids needed to get out of town and I had been thinking about getting out myself...so one day wife and I decided and did it. With conservative management I have grown and prospered as much as I cared.

The guy that brought me the turkey, was self employed and had a nice business in Dallas. He decided to jump in big time and he bought a large chunk of land and went down to the JD dealer and bought all new haying equipment...all new haying equipment....had none when he decided he would be a farmer-rancher. He was gone by the next year. What happened to all that land and all that equipment I have no idea!

I got a letter today in the mail. It was from a real estate broker. He said there was a 75.99 acre parcel near me that had just been listed. They said he wanted $99,000 for it. Out of curiosity I looked at his website to view it. Although their map didn't show the property boundaries it did have a dot on the map. That site is mostly near vertical cliffs and rock slides. No place on it to build. I think it must be an old patient mine claim from the 1800's. It said good deer, elk, and bighorn sheep hunting. Wrong in so many ways. And it said you could mine gold. True but the nuggets are exactly laying on the surface. You can bet that the old timers picked it over pretty darn well. But for the low price of $99,000 you can own 75 acres of steep rock.

Stocker Steve said:
Dave But for the low price of $99 said:
Could be handy for end times. Is there an old mine shaft to hide in, or do you have to make your own?

Most of this was placer mined down along the river so shafts are pretty rare. I do however know where there are several up on the BLM miles from anything.

Lucky said:

I know of one but he has been scraping since high school. About 35 now has around 400 mommas. Real good guy. I know of several that did it with grain.

Latest posts