Stocks

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Stocks

Post by Nesikep » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:49 am

I saw Parks Hotels stock went down 70%.. I'd probably throw a few bucks that way, as soon as air travel resumes they'll be going again

What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:59 am

TexasBred wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:39 am
hurleyjd wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 am
How has your investments done since January 2020. Were you smart enough to get out when the getting was good. I am just presenting the facts as to my life and not yours. Yep I am the only dumb one on here according to you experts.
Oh I've been out for a while. At my age you no longer speculate about anything. BTW why did you decide to invest when the fund was at an all time high??
After years of ups and downs I got entirely out a little over 2 years ago. The only stock I own has 4 legs. And frankly over the years I made more money with cattle than I ever did in the stock market.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 am

I am certainly no expert and really have a hard time understanding most of it. Have tried different firms that offer advice and all and still just don't get the hang of it. Do not have the knack for it. Not going to obsess. I lost 1/2 of my meager retirement in the 2008 fiasco, and when it finally got back to what I had, I moved 75% into a "safe fund" that pays about 2 1/2% with no ties to the stock market and next to no chance of ever losing it. It is insured. I only contribute what the company matches and the rest I have also "put into 4 legged stock".
Nope, they don't make alot, they don't make money all the time, but when they do, I do okay. They are paying their expenses and giving me what my target was of 1-2 calves a month to sell, averaged over the year. That on top of my SS I can live on. Still testing a little adds some extra. I haven't started taking anything out of the retirement, and it will be very little anyway since I didn't ever put much in and started way late, but that is still "found money" for the future. Have to pay off a couple credit cards, and I don't owe on anything else.
I still garden, and can and freeze, have all my own beef and meat, and do wish that there was a "younger generation" that had that feeling of being "out of time" like I did when I was a kid growing up, so that I could "mentor" them and have someone who would be able to help me along in my "tottering old age"....
I will have to start taking out of the retirement/401K in a few years, @70 I think? Got to talk to a tax guy about it. I am not going to lose alot of sleep over it and watching my parents and their whole situation, and the costs for in home care, and constant worry by my father since his near complete recovery from the stroke, not wanting to consider a retirement home which would be better for my mom and she would get more help/care and would not have gotten so far "down" because my father does not want to make her do the exercises and activities that the doctors want ...."because it's too hard for her".... so she is slowly losing all her mobility and her brain is just stagnating.... I just don't see where it is worth the headaches.
I made sure I got a top notch medicare and supplement plan, and sure hope to just die of a heart attack, or in my sleep, like a mid 70's neighbor farmer did this past week. If I get some horrible thing, like cancer, don't plan to hang around and suffer for years and treatments without a very good chance of beating it.

The best of luck to all with your investing and all. If I had many wants maybe I would feel different, but there just isn't much I want to do or places I really want to go to need much money. If there were grandchildren, maybe I would feel different. But I have watched alot of money mismanagement in past generations of in my family, and the following generations haven't done much better and the "worrywart" lifestyle of my father has convinced me that it is just not worth it. I can provide for my basics like food and clothing, and enjoy the little things in life.

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am

Maybe if I really trusted someone to take a few thousand of my money to invest, I would do it. But I just don't feel like I have trust in someone to do it. If someone took say 2-3,000 and in 5 years came back to me and said, here, I made you 25,000..... I would turn around and give them 1/3 of it and say, okay, give me 10,000 and take the rest and do whatever you think is best... But it is hard for me to pay someone if they are not returning anything back. If it gets lost, well, that's a chance I took. If they make me money, then I will share gladly. But if they are taking my money, and then lose it, then I don't think they should get paid for it. It's my money, I am taking the risk, but I am not going to pay them along the way...win lose or draw.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 pm

farmerjan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am
Maybe if I really trusted someone to take a few thousand of my money to invest, I would do it. But I just don't feel like I have trust in someone to do it. If someone took say 2-3,000 and in 5 years came back to me and said, here, I made you 25,000..... I would turn around and give them 1/3 of it and say, okay, give me 10,000 and take the rest and do whatever you think is best... But it is hard for me to pay someone if they are not returning anything back. If it gets lost, well, that's a chance I took. If they make me money, then I will share gladly. But if they are taking my money, and then lose it, then I don't think they should get paid for it. It's my money, I am taking the risk, but I am not going to pay them along the way...win lose or draw.
Your smarter than most. The first rule is don't invest in what you don't understand. :clap: That's the hardest one for most people to admit.

If you ever get the itch. Take a couple grand and open a Fidelity account or E-Trade or some thing of that nature. They will walk you thru every thing. Then just by the Dow Jones or S&P 500. If either of those disappear your money will be not good to you any ways. :)
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 pm

You want to be my "broker" Brute????

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:07 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:37 pm
farmerjan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:39 am
Your smarter than most. The first rule is don't invest in what you don't understand. :clap: That's the hardest one for most people to admit.

If you ever get the itch. Take a couple grand and open a Fidelity account or E-Trade or some thing of that nature. They will walk you thru every thing. Then just by the Dow Jones or S&P 500. If either of those disappear your money will be not good to you any ways. :)
Secondly never invest more than your willing to loose.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:19 am

farmerjan wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:41 pm
No thank you. :)

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am

I am amazed the stock market has held up so good actually. I wonder if people actually learned not to panic sell from 08?

I'm not totally sold this is the bottom. I'm about 40% in on what I had sitting in bonds. The economy slowing down is just now starting to be realized and analized. Every one will be counting there pennies to see how long they can last at this pace.

Ky cowboy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Ky cowboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:33 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am
I am amazed the stock market has held up so good actually. I wonder if people actually learned not to panic sell from 08?

I'm not totally sold this is the bottom. I'm about 40% in on what I had sitting in bonds. The economy slowing down is just now starting to be realized and analized. Every one will be counting there pennies to see how long they can last at this pace.
I agree I don't think its hit bottom yet. I'm like you I have 1/2 of what I'm willing to invest in and the rest is waiting.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:07 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:45 am

I wonder how much of the sell off was computer generated?
I am still buying currently.
The government has to turn everyone loose and get the economy going or your money is not going to be worth anything for a long time. The government has two ways to generate income taxes or print it. If people aren’t working then a printing we will go.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm

farmerjan wrote:
You don't need a broker. Absolutely nothing wrong with what you did. I've been on the side lines for a couple of years making a whopping 1.35% . No need to start being greedy at my age. Just be glad you are saving, making a little and losing nothing.
“Tell me what you brag about and I'll tell you what you lack”

Spanish Proverb

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 pm

He//, my checking account at the credit union, pays over 2% if I use my debit card 15 times a month for a total of 150.00. I keep the minimum of $5.00 in the savings, and $100 extra to make sure that my ins supplement payment is covered every month, and keep the rest in the checking; and use the debit card for at least the 15/150 minimum.... then I will use cash or write a check sometimes. But I used the debit at Wal-mart for my co-pay of the prescription for 1.25..... because this month I will be hard pressed to get the 15/150 due to not being out much since the surgery. You get .75% if you use it 10 times. Got a couple more days to go to make the 15/150 though. Might have to brave one more trip out, got gas so that counts too on the card.....Not that I have a ton of money sitting around, but it still adds up, so I keep most of what "cash" I have in the cking and use the debit.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:15 pm
farmerjan wrote:
You don't need a broker. Absolutely nothing wrong with what you did. I've been on the side lines for a couple of years making a whopping 1.35% . No need to start being greedy at my age. Just be glad you are saving, making a little and losing nothing.
Famous last words... my broker handles that or my tax man handles that :lol:

I'll never forget a few years back a friend of a friend's wife had been hunting around for a steady "career". She had done odd and end retail type stuff and what not. Finally my friend had a crawfish boil at his house and she was there with her husband. She was peddling Edward Jones to any one who would slow down near her. She was a certified EJ investment broker. :shock: I managed stay stay clear of her most the night until we were all in the living/ dining area at the end. She was spouting a bunch of bs and I finally couldnt take it any more.

Hindsight, I should have kept my mouth shut. Her husband was less than thrilled... as was my friend... but it is what it is.

Point of the story is... Jcpenney sales clerk one day and EJ investment broker the next. Is that who you want to invest your whole life saving with? Do your own research and know your own business. With the enet now there is a unlimited amount of knowledge at our finger tips.