4 week old recently orphaned calf care

Cattle problems.
devonian
Cowhand
Cowhand

4 week old recently orphaned calf care

Post by devonian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:57 am

Hi so I have a 4 week old calf whose mother died last week (so the calf is now 5 weeks old) and I'm wondering how I should proceed with it. I was off work last week and the worker covering me bought some milk powder but didn't feed any to it (genius I know). Anyway so the calf has been off milk for 8 days now and seems to be doing ok but how should I proceed? Put it on a bottle? Or just leave it be? Or isolated from the rest of the herd and make sure it has everything it needs plus more?

I should note this is in the UK and so the herd is in a shed over winter and will be returning to pasture in about a month.

SBMF 2015
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 4 week old recently orphaned calf care

Post by SBMF 2015 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:41 am

Hmm, those can always be tough. If it's been a week since its mother died and the calf looks full and healthy I bet it's robbing milk from another cow.
I would try and give it a bottle and see what it does with it. If it's hungry then you just got a bottle calf. If it doesn't want anything to do with the bottle then I'd leave it with the group and keep a close eye on it.
Never fear them, but ALWAYS respect them.

Bcompton53
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: 4 week old recently orphaned calf care

Post by Bcompton53 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:49 am

If you don't want to bottle feed it. Sell it. That's been my experience. Most of them don't keep up and our last one ended up not maturing, and not growing, and we had to sell it anyway. Find someone who wants a 4-H bucket calf