Hereford AI Sires

Breed your cows to the best bulls in the nation!
76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Re: Hereford AI Sires

Post by 76 Bar » Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 am

For what it is worth our 2 Small Town Kid yearling bulls had adjusted yearling SC measurements of 37.4 and 34 (we had them measured a little over year old so actual was 38 and 35.
Actual & adjusted SC measurements of 38/37.4 is exceptional, the other very respectable. FWIW I measure potential bull calves when I take 205 Wts at 6-7 months/200 days. My minimum is 20.67 and prefer 23.0 cm or more. Providing its done correctly/consistently I've found its a reliable potential gauge of a yearling measurement that exceeds the minimum 32 cm.

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SPH » Fri May 22, 2020 9:53 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:31 am
For what it is worth our 2 Small Town Kid yearling bulls had adjusted yearling SC measurements of 37.4 and 34 (we had them measured a little over year old so actual was 38 and 35.
Actual & adjusted SC measurements of 38/37.4 is exceptional, the other very respectable. FWIW I measure potential bull calves when I take 205 Wts at 6-7 months/200 days. My minimum is 20.67 and prefer 23.0 cm or more. Providing its done correctly/consistently I've found its a reliable potential gauge of a yearling measurement that exceeds the minimum 32 cm.
We are a very data and results driven herd but measuring scrotal at weaning is 1 thing we never have done. We get all kinds of data at yearling on our sale bulls that if something isn't right like a bull couldn't pass a BSE we'll fatten him up and send him off to slaughter. We usually have a good idea what bulls are going to make the yearling pen and which ones will get steered just by what we know of them at weaning. We may have a bull or 2 we will make a decision on a few weeks after weaning but usually the cream of the crop rises to the top when you get their weaning weight and evaluate them visually. There have been times when we may have a bull that weans good but we don't like something about him like for instance his scrotal looks small or we don't like something about how he is made phenotypically and that is where some guys struggle is not knowing when to take the knife to a bull when he doesn't meet the standards you would have if you were buying a bull. If you don't think enough of a bull that you wouldn't use him in your own herd then why are you trying to sell him to someone else?

That's 1 thing that drives me nuts are are guys that keep too many bulls intact that some should have gone to the feedlot as steers then saturate the market with cheap bulls that most guys would turn into hamburger if they were their own. Saw a comment on a FB page the other week by a breeder whose family has been in the cattle business for over 100 years that said if you aren't selling your registered purebred bulls for a minimum of $2500 these days then you probably aren't making money on them with all the costs you have invested. Also anyone buying a cheap bull should be asking what kind of guarantees are they getting because if you wind up with a bunch of open cows or the bull falls apart is that breeder going to refund you or replace the bull? A reputable breeder will not hesitate to satisfy a customer as his reputation is worth more than the cost it would take to keep a customer satisfied. We have been on both ends of that problem over the years and I will tell you when you do the right thing it usually keeps the relationship on good terms that you will probably do business with them again.

76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Post by 76 Bar » Sat May 23, 2020 9:41 am

Excellent points SPH.
If you don't think enough of a bull that you wouldn't use him in your own herd then why are you trying to sell him to someone else?
That's been my philosophy as well.
A reputable breeder will not hesitate to satisfy a customer as his reputation is worth more than the cost it would take to keep a customer satisfied.
Amen to that. Icing on the cake is getting positive feed back on replacement females. 8)

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SPH » Thu May 28, 2020 10:12 pm

Alright, finally got around to downloading some photos of some of our AI calves this year...

Cuda heifer out of a Revolution 4R dam, pair is the 2nd picture.

Cuda heifer out of a daugther of the cow above

The 2 heifers together

Cuda heifer out of a 10 year old Logic daughter (on the left, I think one of the other 2 heifers is the 1 on the right)

Small Town Kid bull out of a Revolution 4R grandaughter. I wish I could have got a better picture of him but all the others I have he is just standing weird or on the move. He really stands out right now as he is really thick and wide in the butt

We used up all our remaining straws of Cuda and Small Town Kid this breeding season so will be evaluating what we buy for next breeding season but right now unless something else catches our eye before next spring we'll probably use 1 or both of those bulls again. One bull that I think we would consider using if it wasn't for the Revolution and On Target genetics on his dam side that we already have a lot of is the Homeward C776 bull: http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i ... 9=5F5D5D5F That's the one thing we really like about Cuda and Small Town Kid is they really seem to pair well as an outcross to our cow herd genetics. I am frequently researching bulls and every time I come across one that catches my eye I am not surprised to find Revolution 4R somewhere in the pedigree. That bull really made a big impact in the Hereford breed and the daughters he has sired have been leaving their mark as well.

Larzbarz
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Larzbarz » Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 am

I really like that first heifer. Thanks for the pics.

We're going with Cuda again this year, then probably try something new next year.

76 Bar
GURU
GURU

Post by 76 Bar » Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am

Impressive calves, cows AND forage SPH!

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SPH » Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Larzbarz wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 8:23 am
I really like that first heifer. Thanks for the pics.

We're going with Cuda again this year, then probably try something new next year.
Thanks! Yeah she caught the eye of our AHA field man when he made a visit recent too. Her mother is probably our best cow who has 3 daughters in our herd right now.

SPH
Rancher
Rancher

Post by SPH » Fri May 29, 2020 3:09 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:56 am
Impressive calves, cows AND forage SPH!
Thanks, we just turned cattle out to pasture a week ago with the bull after we did a round of synched heat for AI and have had some timely rain here lately too so they have some good eating right now. It won't look that nice later this summer I'm sure but we do rotation grazing so we can try and stretch the acres we have so as long as we don't get prolonged dry spells the first pasture they start out on that we let rest should have some decent regrowth by the time we are ready to use it again in late summer or early fall.