Had my first one die on me

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
This was a 20 month old steer in great condition. I switched him a little over a week ago to a pasture that had 3 weaned calves on it the past two months. I moved two of those calves back in with the herd and kept one to feed out and butcher early. My wife called me this past Thursday early afternoon and said she thought he was depressed being moved from his buddy the bull as he hadn't moved from his bed in the pasture in about 3 hours. I told her she was crazy. Later that afternoon he was up by the water tank and was hanging his head over the water and looked in rough shape - ears drooped, labored breathing, and a little unstable on his feet. His eyes looked clear and he had some grayish loose manure, but not much. I called my vet who is a neighbor and has cattle herself. By the time she got there (15 minutes) he laid down and let us work him over without any resistance. She vented him for bloat but didn't think that was the cause. Then she took his temp and it was 106, so obviously something going on. I'm not sure what she gave him, but it was a few shots. I then ran cold water over him for about 20 minutes to try and cool him off. I checked on him a few more times before bed and he had moved about 20 feet but was still laying down on his side and not showing any improvement. He was dead in the morning - laying on his belly with his legs underneath him. I passed on an autopsy. The vet thought it might be something respiratory, or possible hardware. None of my herd (7 head) has shown any similar symptoms since Friday. My land had 2 horses on it for 2 years before the cattle. Prior to that it wasn't used for any farming in recent times. I had to clear a young woods off it to make my pastures. Any thoughts???

NonTypicalCPA said:
This was a 20 month old steer in great condition. I switched him a little over a week ago to a pasture that had 3 weaned calves on it the past two months. I moved two of those calves back in with the herd and kept one to feed out and butcher early. My wife called me this past Thursday early afternoon and said she thought he was depressed being moved from his buddy the bull as he hadn't moved from his bed in the pasture in about 3 hours. I told her she was crazy. Later that afternoon he was up by the water tank and was hanging his head over the water and looked in rough shape - ears drooped, labored breathing, and a little unstable on his feet. His eyes looked clear and he had some grayish loose manure, but not much. I called my vet who is a neighbor and has cattle herself. By the time she got there (15 minutes) he laid down and let us work him over without any resistance. She vented him for bloat but didn't think that was the cause. Then she took his temp and it was 106, so obviously something going on. I'm not sure what she gave him, but it was a few shots. I then ran cold water over him for about 20 minutes to try and cool him off. I checked on him a few more times before bed and he had moved about 20 feet but was still laying down on his side and not showing any improvement. He was dead in the morning - laying on his belly with his legs underneath him. I passed on an autopsy. The vet thought it might be something respiratory, or possible hardware. None of my herd (7 head) has shown any similar symptoms since Friday. My land had 2 horses on it for 2 years before the cattle. Prior to that it wasn't used for any farming in recent times. I had to clear a young woods off it to make my pastures. Any thoughts???
Had you been feeding him grain? The reason I ask is some form of Aflatoxin.

JMJ Farms said:
With only the information provided I vote respiratory.

Yep. Respiratory until proven otherwise. You don't need to be a vet to open up the chest and diagnose pneumonia on a dead one.

Yes he's been on grain since before weaning. His intake was increased a little but not enough to cause problems. No jaundice. And he was born here on my farm.

What causes a respiratory response that is so deadly? Any preventive actions I should take in the future?

NonTypicalCPA said:
Yes he's been on grain since before weaning. His intake was increased a little but not enough to cause problems. No jaundice. And he was born here on my farm.

What causes a respiratory response that is so deadly? Any preventive actions I should take in the future?

Bacterial pneumonia cases can go from healthy to dead in less than 24 hours. Vaccinating the rest of the group with One Shot or Once PMH should prevent it in the rest of the group.

JMO but if you are going to be weaning a lot and putting calves and cows under a lot of stress keep you a bottle of Nuflor. Especially if you are far away from the vet or work full time and get home late when the vet clinic is closed

NonTypicalCPA said:
Some cattle i believe can get depressed and/or have anxiety when separated from a buddy especially when put by themselves...that probably leads to some condition that kills them. Separation anxiety happens quite often especially with bulls......cows too if they tend to be high strung or nervous.

It really stinks to lose one. I think you always remember the first one you lose as well.
Mine was a first calf heifer. Didnt lose the heifer. But she failed to push it out all the way.
I normally check cows right after work. This was a Saturday, and I ran some errands b4 coming home like normal. Had I not been out screqing around I'm positive I could've helped her. When I arrived I thought her and calf were dead. I crawled under the 4 wire barbed fence and stood up only to be knocked right back down by the hot wire I have run inside the 4 wire barb! Lmao!
Anyway. Walked over and mama put her head up. She was on her right side laid out flat with the hind end of her calf still inside. I thought great. Its stuck. Nope. Just gave a slight tug and out came the lil bull calf. Calf was DOA and mama was down for a couple hours. She raised a bottle calf for me anyway. A total learning experience for us all. I spent 3 weeks, twice a day, putting her in the chute so baby could nurse b4 she decided to give in and take that baby for her own. I'm more stubborn than her and I won! Lol I think....
Shes raising her 3rd now.
Anyway. Chin up! Cant win em all I reckon!

Latest posts