Angus steer feed

Help Support CattleToday:

DFfarm

Reaction score
I just welcomed my first two angus steers onto my ranch and I'd like to hear your recommendations for how much feed to offer them. They were weened about 2 weeks ago and currently weigh ~550 lbs. The rancher that I bought them from had them on Red Chain Stocker 10, feeding 3% of their body weight daily. From the research I've done online that seems a bit excessive. This brand is also 10% protein and I keep coming across 12% as the recommended protein content. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

What is the goal with the calves. Do you have a time frame that needs to be met? Feeds you have available? Could be a complex or simple answer.o_O
I'm in no rush. My goal is to get them to 1,200 lbs in the most healthy way possible. If you have any recommendations for quality feed I'll look around to see if they are carried in my area...

I'd feed them at least a 12% protein feed at 5lbs/day each and free choice hay through the winter to keep them growing, when grass comes on let them graze and maybe keep feeding them 5lbs/ day and when the summer slump hit I would increase to 10lbs/day then 15 and then either go to full feed and hay or if you don't mind growing a little slower and theres still grass keep at 15 lbs/ day each until they have a good finish which should be around mid November next year. It all depends on how fast you want them to grow and what you want as a n end result. I've fed some this way with good results and I've had some that I fed a little through the winter to keep growing then full grass through spring and summer then started slowly introducing feed in August and on full feed by mid September and still ready to process by mid November- early December. Every area will differ as to what feed is available at a reasonable price, stay away from sack feeds, buy commodity feeds or bulk pellets for price sake. @Jeanne - Simme Valley feeds whole shell corn from weaning until finish with good results and they are finished around 13 months I believe. There are several ways to go about it, just depends on what your time frame is and how you are wanting to do it. You have to be careful feeding a diet high in corn ( starch) and grazing too.

Research has shown it is best to keep them at the same growth curve. You don't want them gaining 2.5 - 3#/head/day then put them on a grass diet, gaining 1#/hd/day.
That effects their marbling. Calves raised on the dam, weaned and fed to keep growth consistent will marble better than an up and down diet.
If you plan on feeding to finish, why yoyo their diet from grain to roughage back to grain?
Like Joe said, every farm and circumstances are different.
If your goal is simply to finish out at 1200#, continue feeding grain. They need about a 14% protein diet at that weight. About 12% by 800#. 3% of their BW is a good goal.
As Joe mentioned, I feed whole shell corn and a protein pellet. Yes, you will see the corn in the manure. WSC is about 8% less efficient than all the fancy processed ways you can buy corn. So, if you can buy WSC for 8% less, you are better off. I would use WSC even if I didn't save $ because it's healthier. Less chance of accidosis and calves like granular feed better than powdery feed. The whole reason feed mills came up with sweet feed, was to make ground feed more palatable to cattle. Cattle don't like eating dust.
I take weaned steers, start them at 1% bw with corn and protein. Each week keep increasing amount until at full feed, twice a day.
I have Simmentals, so probably a bit heavier. But, I finish at around 1200# at 12 to 13 months old and grade choice.

Last edited:
Whole corn in manure that is what chickens are for.

Do you have grass? If you do it is important to not upset the rumen by overloading with starch or sugar.

Has anybody else tried cafeteria style feeding where you feed the grain and protein supplement free choice and let the animals choose the proportion they need?

Hubbard Dairy Beef Supreme finisher in a self feeder while on grass. You wont regret it. Just dont let the feeder go empty or you run the risk of them over eating the next time its filled.

I just welcomed my first two angus steers onto my ranch and I'd like to hear your recommendations for how much feed to offer them. They were weened about 2 weeks ago and currently weigh ~550 lbs. The rancher that I bought them from had them on Red Chain Stocker 10, feeding 3% of their body weight daily. From the research I've done online that seems a bit excessive. This brand is also 10% protein and I keep coming across 12% as the recommended protein content. Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I hope you hang around long enough to tell us about your journey and your results.

Personally, I find it really puzzling why people start very young animals on expensive feeds and, I suppose, will keep them on that kind of feed as they gain from 500 pounds until they are 1200 pounds. It sounds to me like the cat lady that thinks food is love, or somebody that likes to brag about how much money they can afford to waste. But maybe I'm wrong and there is something to be learned.

I want real numbers. How long it takes, how much the feed costs, and how many pounds of feed result in how many pounds of gain.

I know what the numbers would be the way I would do it, so I'm interested in the other side...