Curly question on early insemination.

Help Support CattleToday:

Redgully

Reaction score
Has anyone knowingly inseminated a cow the day before they are due to come into heat. I have a hiefer due on sunday but will be away on family duties all day, toying with the idea of inseminating really late saturday night.

Has anyone knowingly inseminated a cow the day before they are due to come into heat. I have a hiefer due on sunday but will be away on family duties all day, toying with the idea of inseminating really late saturday night.
Female sperm has more stamina, is longer lasting... and male sperm is faster but dies quicker.

Estrus lasts for more than one day so you could inseminate twice, before and after standing heat. Why not wait another 18/24 days and do it right?

I have had good luck settle cows when I think I am inseminating too late. When will you be able to inseminate after your family duties on Sunday. I have bred many cows/heifers at all times of the night/early morning. She may not even come in heat until you are available. If you are basing your expected heat cycle on her last few standing heat cycles, she may not keep the same days between heats as before. Breeding before signs of heat is a waste of time and money IMO.

Not recommended, but IF you do I'd suggest also giving a shot of GnRH (ie Fertagyl) to release the egg to increase your chance for success. Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replys. I also prefer going late but feel i would be too late by the time i get back, could be 30hrs after end of standing. I've often wondered about going early. I have gone early before but right on onset of heat and had success. Never before heat though. As luck would have it when i drove in this morning she was jumping the others. So i inseminated her just now, mid afternoon. I still think it was to early and had a tough time unable to get through cervix. It is a heifer and she is the result of the very last a.i. i did until a few weeks ago so been a big break so feeling a bit rusty. Used a couple of bulls last year. Not feeling confident but trying to tighten up a group for calving.

Thanks for the replys. I also prefer going late but feel i would be too late by the time i get back, could be 30hrs after end of standing. I've often wondered about going early. I have gone early before but right on onset of heat and had success. Never before heat though. As luck would have it when i drove in this morning she was jumping the others. So i inseminated her just now, mid afternoon. I still think it was to early and had a tough time unable to get through cervix. It is a heifer and she is the result of the very last a.i. i did until a few weeks ago so been a big break so feeling a bit rusty. Used a couple of bulls last year. Not feeling confident but trying to tighten up a group for calving.
Despite not getting all the way through. There's a chance she might settle, long as you were in the cervix.

Ive found that, quite good success particularly in heifers if i can just get into cervix. But this one didn't feel right. I spoke to a vet who did hundreds of inseminations a week on a large station, he told me he and another vet did 250 inseminations one week, they recorded each insemination and where they deposited semen. He said the success rate from in the cervix to all the way through was exactly the same but dropped right off when they couldn't get started in the cervix.

Latest posts