Deer season to long

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a resident herd of 25 deer, minimum. Gettin mighty tired of them crashing thru fences. Hunters took 4 or 5 this year. Still working on a nuisance permit....

boondocks":iqmksa3i said:
We have a resident herd of 25 deer, minimum. Gettin mighty tired of them crashing thru fences. Hunters took 4 or 5 this year. Still working on a nuisance permit....
Never met a Yankee that could kill deer. I've met a bunch that know how to hunt though. There's a big difference between killing and hunting deer.

Farm Fence Solutions":j5iboqxw said:
Dave":j5iboqxw said:
Modern firearm deer season here is 11 days. Bow season is a month but nobody hunting with a bow here because it is just way too open. A couple of weeks of muzzle loader but again very few hunters. The 250-300+ yard shooting eliminates bow and muzzle loader hunters.

I gave up gun hunting a few years ago. It's amazing how close you can get to critters when you need to. ;-)

Opposite here. I gave up bow hunting several years ago. I've killed several big deer with a bow. But when I shot a giant through the hams that jumped the string and never recovered it. ( I made a perfect shot, the deer moved before the arrow got there) I decided this is not for me. I got no problem with someone hunting with a bow ,spear whatever. But I'll take a modern rifle.

callmefence":w8udurdk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":w8udurdk said:
Dave":w8udurdk said:
Modern firearm deer season here is 11 days. Bow season is a month but nobody hunting with a bow here because it is just way too open. A couple of weeks of muzzle loader but again very few hunters. The 250-300+ yard shooting eliminates bow and muzzle loader hunters.

I gave up gun hunting a few years ago. It's amazing how close you can get to critters when you need to. ;-)

Opposite here. I gave up bow hunting several years ago. I've killed several big deer with a bow. But when I shot a giant through the hams that jumped the string and never recovered it. ( I made a perfect shot, the deer moved before the arrow got there) I decided this is not for me. I got no problem with someone hunting with a bow ,spear whatever. But I'll take a modern rifle.

You outshot the speed of your bow if you were on target at release.
Rule of thumb if your bow shoots 250 fps 25 yards is max range 300 fps 30 yards etc. That is the distance it takes your arrow to travel in 4 10ths of a second at 5 10ths he can jump the string.

Caustic Burno":17cn3va3 said:
callmefence":17cn3va3 said:
Farm Fence Solutions":17cn3va3 said:

You outshot the speed of your bow if you were on target at release.
Rule of thumb if your bow shoots 250 fps 25 yards is max range 300 fps 30 yards etc. That is the distance it takes your arrow to travel in 4 10ths of a second at 5 10ths he can jump the string.

My point exactly. I have yet to have one jump the trigger.

callmefence":19un3oqk said:
Farm Fence Solutions":19un3oqk said:
Dave":19un3oqk said:

I have never heard of one in a deer, but I know of a bunch of elk shot during rifle season that had a broadhead stuck in it somewhere. The son's bull this year had a broadhead stuck in one of the bones in its neck. The Indians gave up using the bow when the white man came along with a rifle.

I'm not above rifle hunting by any means. I like the challenge of a bowhunt, and I know it ain't for everybody. We just got a rifle season here last year, and up to then, it was shotgun or certain pistol rounds. Shooting a slug gun is the most unpleasant form of "fun" I've ever been a part of, and no matter how many pesos I spent on scopes, I just couldn't get one to last. Bows, arrows, and broadheads have come a long way in the last dozen years, and I have more confidence in bow than I do in my shotgun. For the record, the last deer I killed was with a rifle, from a boat, in TN.

Here's the buck that made me quit bow hunting. A perfect shot the broad head and 6" of arrow was still stuck in the off shoulder. Found it turkey hunting, was sure hoping he made it.

Farm Fence Solutions":17jbbyuc said:
I'm not above rifle hunting by any means. I like the challenge of a bowhunt, and I know it ain't for everybody. We just got a rifle season here last year, and up to then, it was shotgun or certain pistol rounds. Shooting a slug gun is the most unpleasant form of "fun" I've ever been a part of, and no matter how many pesos I spent on scopes, I just couldn't get one to last. Bows, arrows, and broadheads have come a long way in the last dozen years, and I have more confidence in bow than I do in my shotgun. For the record, the last deer I killed was with a rifle, from a boat, in TN.

Bow hunting with traditional archery was my first love in hunting.
The problem is too many take shots they shouldn't or think they are make the perfect imperfect shot.
I have killed many a deer with a bow and never lost one. I have never taken a shot over 25 yards as well.
Through the years I let a many a deer walk cause I didn't have a double lung shot.

True Grit Farms":14du5yio said:

Here's the buck that made me quit bow hunting. A perfect shot the broad head and 6" of arrow was still stuck in the off shoulder. Found it turkey hunting, was sure hoping he made it.

Exactly
Even a well hit deer with a bow can cover enough ground to be lost. That's a once in a lifetime buck for most. Would have been dead where he was standing with a rifle.

Someone mentioned opening the deer season year round reminds me that my father told me that back when he was young there was a short season for squirrel hunting, and it was a big deal. Everyone was in the woods for opening day. Then they opened it up to year round, and now very few people in my part of the country hunt them.

Deer are nothing but large varmits to me but they make good dog food for winter months. I am always glad when it and all of the problems it brings is over.

Dave":3nbfeh3l said:
callmefence":3nbfeh3l said:
Farm Fence Solutions":3nbfeh3l said:

I have never heard of one in a deer, but I know of a bunch of elk shot during rifle season that had a broadhead stuck in it somewhere. The son's bull this year had a broadhead stuck in one of the bones in its neck. The Indians gave up using the bow when the white man came along with a rifle.

I shot a doe at the beginning of the year with my bow. Broadhead crushed her front left shoulder but didn't penetrate like it should have. It paralyzed her front and I finished her off but that probably 30 seconds to draw another arrow felt like a year. It was exactly what I was trying to do and my equipment failed me.

I've made that shot a lot of times with an instant finish and this time it failed me. I still feel bad about it.

Latest posts