Different question for Idaman

Help Support CattleToday:

Northern Rancher":2bq1qaus said:
I'd say it was more an appreciation of Angus convenience than demand for CAB. If purebred Hereford breeders would of treated prolapses and bad udders as reportable diseases it sure would of helped-I know I sure value the breeders who did so as well as parking their mix mill.
around here the battle cry, is pinkeye

alacattleman":2k3hx2x1 said:
Northern Rancher":2k3hx2x1 said:
I'd say it was more an appreciation of Angus convenience than demand for CAB. If purebred Hereford breeders would of treated prolapses and bad udders as reportable diseases it sure would of helped-I know I sure value the breeders who did so as well as parking their mix mill.

AC
I remember during the drought in the mid 60's on a horse making the rounds of the ranch treating calves for pinkeye, it sucked for sure. But, it didn't make us want Angus it just made us want BETTER herefords.

Idaman... Not always true about the blacks finishing first. We feed out all our own calves and the majority of the first steers on the first loads are our herefords.

The problem was and is too many Hereford breeders accept it as the status quo and just soldier on-just like the Angus breed is becoming infatuated with big fat corn fed pigs with soundness and fertility issues-but the numbers are soooooooo good.

NR I agree. There are at least right now 3 breeders I would never buy any cattle from due to problems we have gotten from their stock. I won't buy from anybody using their animals either. No I ain't saying who.
I have argued with people on this site about prolapse. I still hear people saying to just sew them up and rebreed them and then they cannot figure out why they have so many animals prolapse. Duh!

Alot more breeders need to step up and do some serious culling of those butt blowing animals. sell them as kills only.

3waycross":3jmugg3y said:
alacattleman":3jmugg3y said:
Northern Rancher":3jmugg3y said:

AC
I remember during the drought in the mid 60's on a horse making the rounds of the ranch treating calves for pinkeye, it sucked for sure. But, it didn't make us want Angus it just made us want BETTER herefords.
understand, the majoritiy of it here was poor management,,, we all want easy keepers.. but alot of cattlemen around here really need zero maintenance cattle :cowboy:

BIZIN":iye1dm6m said:
Idaman... Not always true about the blacks finishing first. We feed out all our own calves and the majority of the first steers on the first loads are our herefords.

I am sure that is very true but have you recognized that you have just shown the way for the solution of the problem for Herefords and that is infuse more breeding like yours into our cattle. Got any bulls?

A friend toured a large lot in Kansas recently and said that of the thousands in that lot only a handful had red hides. This is not the death knell for Herefords but to me it certainly is for Red Angus. At least you know that probably half of the black hided one also have a white face and it' not hard to figure out where they got that.

Idaman...Your exactly right. We do have bulls, but they arent of the standard that I would sell to any hereford breeder, they arent registered and are just for commercial guys around us. Dad and I are cattle buyers and we see it all the time. Black is just a psychological thing. Down at Mankota Stockyards a group of 300 hereford steers will come in or Red Brockle Face steers that are top cut steers and bring lets say $1.20/lb, the next set of steers could be 300 black or black brockle face steers and be 3rd cut steers and bring 5-10 cents more. Our customers in eastern canada want the best black and tan steers available, and they will pay for them, but they just want to be able to walk through their barns or pens and see consistency. All the angus breed has done is good marketing! With CAB, when we send our fats to Greeley, CO all the blacks go CAB and they are all black simmental and black gelbvieh out of hereford cows or Welsh black X Hereford cows. I am ok with that premium, but its false advertising.

Many years ago when the hereford cow was the queen and the hereford bull the king of the prairie it became fashionable to leave every bull calf as a bull because you could sell them anyway. Along came the exotics and the angus they were mated with queen hereford. Bingo hybred vigor kicked in and all the credit went to the sire breed. About that time since the hereford was the predominate breed the feeders and order buyers decided it was time to discount the many whiteface cattle and it would help their bottum line imensely[which it did]. The breeders of note decided to get into a horse race with the continetal's[most of them were never bred to be only beef cattle] and breed them bigger even if they gave up muscle milk disposition hardiness fertility etc. and they did. The hereford 's were 'nt then or are'nt now strictley a terminal breed,and we as breeders surely know that. A old cowman once told me that most of the european cattle would'nt have made it in the U.S. if it had'nt of been forthe hereford cow . Along came the astute Angus people and steped into this mess and took advantage of the situation. They had people like Pat Goggins{ who had said when he started his first angus herd that "we'll paint the west black"] . He and others seeing the opportunity did a admirable job, they now may have it to black,as it is hard sometimes to tell angus from many others when they fill the ring full of calves. Herefords are a great beef animal but do dress less than most cattle a lot of times due to hide weight and just will dress more. They should have a great advantage withthose who are health concince as they absolutely do not have to be choice fat to taste as good and are just as tenderas most any other fatter cattle. I have a meat biz and the question never is are they choice . A whole lot of the new younger breeders and feeders have all at once discovered that cattle with whiteface's are just preety darn animals. A whole lot that has happened to the breed was brought on by the breeders themselves.

BIZIN":1hvubf1u said:
Idaman...Your exactly right. We do have bulls, but they arent of the standard that I would sell to any hereford breeder, they arent registered and are just for commercial guys around us. Dad and I are cattle buyers and we see it all the time. Black is just a psychological thing. Down at Mankota Stockyards a group of 300 hereford steers will come in or Red Brockle Face steers that are top cut steers and bring lets say $1.20/lb, the next set of steers could be 300 black or black brockle face steers and be 3rd cut steers and bring 5-10 cents more. Our customers in eastern canada want the best black and tan steers available, and they will pay for them, but they just want to be able to walk through their barns or pens and see consistency. All the angus breed has done is good marketing! With CAB, when we send our fats to Greeley, CO all the blacks go CAB and they are all black simmental and black gelbvieh out of hereford cows or Welsh black X Hereford cows. I am ok with that premium, but its false advertising.

It shouldn't make any difference about the registration good cattle are just that good cattle. Check the Phatr sale catalog, on line their, lead off bull was unregistered 100% black and he sold very well.

Beef Man":36scqhus said:
Many years ago when the hereford cow was the queen and the hereford bull the king of the prairie it became fashionable to leave every bull calf as a bull because you could sell them anyway. Along came the exotics and the angus they were mated with queen hereford. Bingo hybred vigor kicked in and all the credit went to the sire breed. About that time since the hereford was the predominate breed the feeders and order buyers decided it was time to discount the many whiteface cattle and it would help their bottum line imensely[which it did]. The breeders of note decided to get into a horse race with the continetal's[most of them were never bred to be only beef cattle] and breed them bigger even if they gave up muscle milk disposition hardiness fertility etc. and they did. The hereford 's were 'nt then or are'nt now strictley a terminal breed,and we as breeders surely know that. A old cowman once told me that most of the european cattle would'nt have made it in the U.S. if it had'nt of been forthe hereford cow . Along came the astute Angus people and steped into this mess and took advantage of the situation. They had people like Pat Goggins{ who had said when he started his first angus herd that "we'll paint the west black"] . He and others seeing the opportunity did a admirable job, they now may have it to black,as it is hard sometimes to tell angus from many others when they fill the ring full of calves. Herefords are a great beef animal but do dress less than most cattle a lot of times due to hide weight and just will dress more. They should have a great advantage withthose who are health concince as they absolutely do not have to be choice fat to taste as good and are just as tenderas most any other fatter cattle. I have a meat biz and the question never is are they choice . A whole lot of the new younger breeders and feeders have all at once discovered that cattle with whiteface's are just preety darn animals. A whole lot that has happened to the breed was brought on by the breeders themselves.

Truer words were never typed.

Latest posts