Fires in the Panhandle

Help Support CattleToday:

I didn't realize that 85% of Texas cattle are in the panhandle. They say that farming and ranching has the highest suicide rate in the nation. I hope they there are some recourses to help the affected ranchers. This has to be very hard on those people to lose your livelihood like this.
There are resources, and more and more people are getting involved and helping. One thing about Texans...they are not gonna sit around and wait for it. And damned sure won't wait on any federal government help. Texans have been taking care of themselves for centuries. Those in the panhandle gave been dealt a raw hand..no doubt. And they will take any help they can get, for sure. And yeah, right now the hay thing is a crucial, immediate need, but this recovery process will take a long time...maybe years. There are people working on trying to put together a Farm-Aid type concert event. Planting the seed with members of major bands that are in the cow business. These things are painfully slow to develop, but once you get enough of them focused on it, it can be major resource.

Last edited:
These are resources, and more and more people are getting involved and helping. One thing about Texans...they are not gonna sit around and wait for it. And damned sure won't wait on any federal government help. Texans have been taking care of themselves for centuries. Those in the panhandle gave been dealt a raw hand..no doubt. And they will take any help they can get, for sure. And yeah, right now the hay thing is a crucial, immediate need, but this recovery process will take a long time...maybe years. There are people working on trying to put together a Farm-Aid type concert event. Planting the seed with members of major bands that are in the cow business. These things are painfully slow to develop, but once you get enough of them focused on it, it can be major resource.
"...put together a Farm-Aid type concert event." - Now THAT sounds like a very cool idea.

I'm 3 hours due East of San Angelo and was in San Angelo about 6 months ago. Dry then, dry now. Dry here too but not as much wind as they have had up in the panhandle. Different terrain there than in the Panhandle. Canadian's website states San Angelo has had fire crews in or around Canadian since Feb 27.

The Canadian Record

February 27 at 5:11 PM ·
Fire trucks from San Angelo have arrived in Canadian. Prayers for all of our firefighters and first responders, now and in the difficult days ahead.

My ranch in Coleman county is very dry, I don't get to go out there much but a guy on my crew does, he said it's very dry, I talked to a guy that built my cabin out there , he said it's getting critical, he's having to move cows.
I let a couple run cattle on my place, but I haven't talked to them since December.
Here in Burleson and Leon counties we are in pretty good shape, all the tanks are full and the rye and clover is coming pretty good, we could use a shower of rain.

I read this morning, that the fire chief for the town of Fritch Tx, after working to subdue the wildfires for 2 weeks, died yesterday in a house fire he responded to (the house fire was unrelated to the wildfire) .
:(

Thunderstorms and rain, perhaps with hail, are forecast for today and tonight across the Tx Panhandle and farther South and East..

I read this morning, that the fire chief for the town of Fritch Tx, after working to subdue the wildfires for 2 weeks, died yesterday in a house fire he responded to (the house fire was unrelated to the wildfire) .
:(

Thunderstorms and rain, perhaps with hail, are forecast for today and tonight across the Tx Panhandle and farther South and East..
Hope they get what they need rain wise. Feed and hay is nice but there is no replacement for rain after fire.