Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It isnt worth it.

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Run for your life!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aero

Reaction score
There is a local company that recycles waste products from various industries. They take the residual fiber out of paper towel manufacturing that is too fine to bind, and spread it on pastures in the local area - they call it FiberClay. It has lime in it because the recycled paper used to make paper towels had a lot of lime in it and this is like slow release free lime. They have sent me an analysis and this product has been spread twice before I got the lease over the last 10 years. I like free and useful but few things are free in the end.

1658846943854.png

Have your lawyer draw up a contract where they are liable for any long term damages from any unknown chemicals in the product they spread. See how confident they are in their free product then.

Have your lawyer draw up a contract where they are liable for any long term damages from any unknown chemicals in the product they spread. See how confident they are in their free product then.
To the contrary I have to sign a release for them to spread. :)

Question with anything like that is if there are any other chemicals or metals that can build up over time. That's what makes sewer waste so unappealing.
I have a chemical engineer on the inside who is confident there should be no nasty chemicals in it but I'm sure things happen. The aluminum is a bit of a surprise but I dont know what 1790 ppm really means and it might be in everything...?

If it's been spread there twice before, have you tested your soil and a nearby neighbor's to see if there's a negative disparity?
It's been spread on most of the neighbors' places too. :)

There's not really anything in it. Is it worth letting them drive a truck around your property?

At a veterinary meeting several years ago, Dr. Bob Van Saun (Penn St. Univ.) presented a case study of a sheep farm in PA... Two flocks and two halves of the same property, owned by Dad and his daughter & son-in-law. Dad had lime spread on his half of the farm. Daughter & SIL got a 'deal' on some sort of 'alkalinizing agent' that was a waste product of auto parts polishing process and had that spread on their half. The health and reproductive disasters that came crashing down on the daughter's flock were horrendous.
I don't recall what was in that stuff (molybdenum, cadmium?), but I'm pretty sure I won't be opting for someone to spread industrial waste on my farm, in place of lime or fertilizer.

Latest posts