Frozen Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1cjjfc3f said:
Another good reason to unroll

Kenny, I've been unrolling for 5 years now. And I like it. But this year they are wasting the crap out of it, even though they have free choice bagged protein we call 20/20 hot mix.

The ones at the second farm, eating out of rings, are being terribly picky. Having to force them to clean it up, even with the 20/20 hot mix.

And the ones at farm 3, eating out of rings, have the sorriest hay and are cleaning it up good. But they are getting liquid feed to boot.

Been the oddest year I've experienced since I've been in the cattle business. I attribute it to all the summer rain and also the wet, wet winter. As Jan stated in another thread, the summer grass and the hay just don't seem to be what they want/need, seemingly bc of the rain. Oh well, we shall survive. A lot of the cotton farmers around here won't be around next year.

Mine are on19+% stockpile fescue but eating like they are starved. There is no limit to what they can graze but they still bawl when they hear me coming. Might be spoiled.
As soon as I turn them into a new strip it starts getting muddy. Rain 6 of the next 10 days and no temps below freezing.

kenny thomas":3f1ucg98 said:
Mine are on19+% stockpile fescue but eating like they are starved. There is no limit to what they can graze but they still bawl when they hear me coming. Might be spoiled.
As soon as I turn them into a new strip it starts getting muddy. Rain 6 of the next 10 days and no temps below freezing.

I know exactly what you mean. The bunch that is wasting the hay seem like bottomless pits. But they still won't clean it up. And their condition is still good. I think they're spoiled as well.

I've bought hay from a neighbor for the last 2 years....(.I've just started back after a 15 year hiatus).....all quality bermuda...tested 13% crude protein...62% TDN......the girls eat it all....Except when I move the polywire another 20 yards or so. They're still young and not so onery yet is the reason...?? Otherwise I'd find a lot of leftovers. There is so little residue in my guy's hay he will probably jack his price after I've bragged on him.

We tried unrolling and they wasted the majority of it, pooping & using it as bedding. Although I think it may be a learned behavior because we put out straw for bedding when it gets really cold. We had a horrible year, ended up with a third fewer bales and that's including junk prairie we normally don't bale. Currently feeding the stemmy brome, saving the good stuff for when it really gets cold, and they're not loving it. They're also not tearing into the Bermuda like previous years but will clean up old alfalfa. Also supplementing with 20% protein cubes & 30% protein tubs. I'll go with spoiled.

TCRanch":1m8a3c1h said:
We tried unrolling and they wasted the majority of it, pooping & using it as bedding. Although I think it may be a learned behavior because we put out straw for bedding when it gets really cold. We had a horrible year, ended up with a third fewer bales and that's including junk prairie we normally don't bale. Currently feeding the stemmy brome, saving the good stuff for when it really gets cold, and they're not loving it. They're also not tearing into the Bermuda like previous years but will clean up old alfalfa. Also supplementing with 20% protein cubes & 30% protein tubs. I'll go with spoiled.

This is interesting. I AI during my hay feeding season. Which begins about Thanksgiving. I was talking to Fire Sweeps Embryologist, Dale. Dale told me to feed my best hay first while the cows are in "Conception Mode". Then when you have them bred for at least two cycles, he said you can feed your worse hay. His words were "once the embryo is established, you can abuse them. They don't require a lot of nutrition to hold the pregnancy after it is established. Since you got calves on them and you creep feed, the calves will be far enough along at that time to continue growing. The cows will winter out on the worst hay and soon go to grass".

I took that strategy and use it.

Bright Raven":6gblylbz said:
TCRanch":6gblylbz said:

This is interesting. I AI during my hay feeding season. Which begins about Thanksgiving. I was talking to Fire Sweeps Embryologist, Dale. Dale told me to feed my best hay first while the cows are in "Conception Mode". Then when you have them bred for at least two cycles, he said you can feed your worse hay. His words were "once the embryo is established, you can abuse them. They don't require a lot of nutrition to hold the pregnancy after it is established. Since you got calves on them and you creep feed, the calves will be far enough along at that time to continue growing. The cows will winter out on the worst hay and soon go to grass".

My girls are due to start calving 2/26 (which means there's always one that kicks off spring calving 10 days early). So they were on fresh, spring grass & still supplemented with cubes/tubs when I turned the bulls out in May. Kansas can get some pretty brutal winters & I want them to have the best hay in the worst conditions. But good information, thanks!

TCRanch":itksjcc0 said:
Bright Raven":itksjcc0 said:
TCRanch":itksjcc0 said:

My girls are due to start calving 2/26 (which means there's always one that kicks off spring calving 10 days early). So they were on fresh, spring grass & still supplemented with cubes/tubs when I turned the bulls out in May. Kansas can get some pretty brutal winters & I want them to have the best hay in the worst conditions. But good information, thanks!

Glad to comment. His scenario was based on my calving and breeding timeline. I agree with you. As we all say, one size does not fit all.

Latest posts