gall bladder surgery--tips to recovery? easy process?

Help Support CattleToday:

Making the decision is easy if A you trust the doc and B he is straight up with you. The doc that did my surgery was also a customer in the gun shop and a bird hunting friend. After he gave me the alternatives of taking it out, cleaning it out or using drugs to disolve them, I asked what if I don;t do anything. To me not doing anything is also always an alternative, maybe not a good one, but an alternative none the less. He put it simply. A 50:50 chance of having a life threatening emergency in the next 6 months. That sure put it in perspective.

If it is full of stones it more than likely will bother you latter or sooner. It was my decision to have mine removed as the doctor said he is not 100% sure that is the problem, were the pain was coming from. It took maybe 45 minutes for surgery and I was headed home in a couple hours after surgery. Getting the gas out was painful though. I haven't had that side pain since.

My first wife had gall stones at a relatively young age and she suffered mightily....she would wake up in the night screaming in pain....

Take her to the emergency room and they find nothing....but they were not looking for gall stones in a 21 year old woman....took five or six rips to get it found....

she had the old surgery and a big ole nasty scar so she would never wear a two piece bathing suit again but the surgery ended the problems....I don't recall her having any more eating problems after than she did before....but it was decades ago....

moral of the story is if you ever have those pains you and those around you will wish you had taken care of it....

On hold now anyway. Cardio release scan this morning shows I'm back in A-fib. (another no symptom problem that has been an ongoing issue ever since my heart bypass in late 2015) Surgeon won't sign off to do the gallbladder till a-fib is straightened out. Consensus seems to be there is a pacemaker of some kind in my future.

greybeard":3oixxt2o said:
On hold now anyway. Cardio release scan this morning shows I'm back in A-fib. (another no symptom problem that has been an ongoing issue ever since my heart bypass in late 2015) Surgeon won't sign off to do the gallbladder till a-fib is straightened out. Consensus seems to be there is a pacemaker of some kind in my future.

Mom developed atrial fibrillation. It was resolved with a pacemaker.

I wish you well.

I don't know anything about the A-fib (fortunately), but sorry to hear about both. I know health problems come with age, but they still stink.

As far as the gall bladder goes, mine gave me trouble for years and no one could ever figure out what it was. Mostly doc thought it was an ulcer. Finally had the upper gi after a trip to the ER one night - I was sure I was having a heart attack. Surgeon said it was the worst she'd ever seen - had to make the incision to take it out 3x bigger because of all the stones. But getting rid of it got rid of a lot of pain and nausea and vomiting I'd had over the years. I did have to go urgently and often after the surgery, but that's gotten a lot better over the years (it's been 17+), though it still hits me like that once in awhile. Really greasy foods are all that bothers me since, though the night I thought I was gonna die, it was a chefs salad with bleu cheese dressing that put me down. I still don't do bleu cheese dressing...

I ended up in the hospital overnight and couldn't do much for a couple of weeks. The best advice I've got is take a pillow to hug while riding in the truck - it really does help.

dun":2sksa4ny said:
DLD":2sksa4ny said:
The best advice I've got is take a pillow to hug while riding in the truck - it really does help.
And don;t cough

For sure! Cough drops, peppermints, lifesavers - whatever it takes to soothe that scratchy throat and keep from coughing.

DLD":2czmgpek said:
dun":2czmgpek said:
DLD":2czmgpek said:
The best advice I've got is take a pillow to hug while riding in the truck - it really does help.
And don;t cough

For sure! Cough drops, peppermints, lifesavers - whatever it takes to soothe that scratchy throat and keep from coughing.
I think even worse is a sneeze

If you got stones get it out when you get the A-Fib resolved because you don't want to pass those. It put me in the ER twice and a few other times had me in some serious pain. Just make sure you get that med that Dun recommended. Cholestyram is the generic. I take one scoop every morning and mix it with a lemon lime gaterade 20oz a bit gritty but no bad flavor. I am forever grateful to Dun for telling me about that cause without it eating is a nightmare.

Tip: Get a big prescription for oxycodone or perc 30 ect. for recovery pain and then use advil instead.
Excellent investment return value on the street market plus you'll get a real learning experience. :lol:

Okay... bad joke... but opiate abuse in usa is rampant.

Son of Butch":2qkib37v said:
Tip: Get a big prescription for oxycodone or perc 30 ect. for recovery pain and then use advil instead.
Excellent investment return value on the street market plus you'll get a real learning experience. :lol:

Okay... bad joke... but opiate abuse in usa is rampant.
I have never figured out why it's abused. I take a couple of them a day and all they do is take the edge off the pain, sure don;t make me high.

Oxycodone has been reformulated to prevent euphoria and addiction when taken as directed.
Hard core Junkies know how to get around the reformulation... perc 20 -30 - 40 has not been reformulated.
The junkies standard trick to release the opiate as a heroin high still works with perc.
Prices on perc is A Lot higher than heroin and that has led so many to switching to heroin.
The whole situation is so very very sad.

Latest posts