Help with charging steer please quick!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Kelsie

Reaction score
I have been showing steers for the 4-h county fair for 7 years!! Anyway are fair is in july and I have my steer already feeding him out and stuff and normally by now I have my steers tame and stuff but this year I got my steer late and have had a death in the family so i haven't really got to work with him a whole lot so I started really working with him this past week (he's had the halter on three times and has been tied up) but anyway I figured out he likes to charge when I try to lead him and when I try to brush him by his back legs he kicks i have never had this problem and if i did have a problem I could always fix it but it's only about 4 1/2 months until the fair and i need to get him where I can lead him without being charged at and be able to brush him with him kicking at me!! I can lead him without him charging at me if if im at the very end of the rope but if i get up by his face where i need to be he charges at me idk what to do!! I need help quick please!!!!

You probably already know this since you've been showing for 7 yrs, but move slowly and talk quietly to him for a few days. Spend time with him not only when he is haltered. He doesn't seem to trust you yet. Otherwise, I have had some that like to headbutt, and a swat on the nose a couple times will usually put an end to that for a while; so that could help but don't do it until you know that you have his respect as it could be counteractive.

Try buying a clip-in nose ring to put on the steer. If he puts his head down, you can use the ring to control him better and lift his head back up and stop the charge.

For the kicking, we always put the calves in a blocking chute, then took a rope and tied it to the top of the chute on one side. Then took the rope, went under the flank and tied it tight to the top of the other side of the chute. The pressure from the rope under the flank made it so they can't/won't kick. After a while, they quit trying to kick.

"Walk softly and carry a big stick." haha

In all seriousness, good advice above.

It sounds like you are pushing things way to fast, you are behind in breaking the animal, so you are trying to get caught up to where you should be, and he is not on the same page.
Slow down, you need to get him gentled first before you start trying to get him caught up to how your past calves handled at this time.
You need to get rid of the fear, which is why he charges you when you crowed him, fight or flight instinct is still kicking in. I would start from scratch, start tying him daily for an hour, while he is tied go about your chores, clean him pen, mix his feed, talk to him and just be around but not pushing him. I would feed him tied as well this way he associates being tied with something good. I would also start rinsing him daily, daily rinsing helps get them used to being handled and if he kicks at the water when you rinse him, no one gets hurt. In fact if he kicks at the water I would just keep rinsing his legs until he stops, he will find out it does no good and it is safer for you.
Most calves we had for showing, were broke to tie when we got them, all that meant was that they would not hang themselves when tied. We really did not start trying to lead them until after about 2 or 3 weeks of just daily handling, catch and tie, move to wash rack, move to grooming and tie area, move to feed. They get used to being moved and it get easier each day, by about 2 weeks, you are leading more than moving.

Slow down and take your time you have 4.5 months, one step at a time. Do not try to win the war in a day, little victories at this time is what you work for.

We always tie them a couple of weeks before leading them. The first time we lead them is to water. They start to associate handling with good things.

Latest posts