Jersey

Help Support CattleToday:

These have the classic Jersey faces and bone structure.
97244259_2974077125962681_2699103778342174720_n.jpg
I have a heifer that came from a commercial dairy, mostly Holstein. They had some Jerseys in the herd to increase the butterfat of the milk tank. In order to breed and improve my own animals I will select Jersey show bulls because these commercial Jerseys are not really pure Jersey they and have Holstein horse-like faces.

Not only that the mostly Holstien dairy Honeydew came from is Organic (woooo) so they can get a higher price for the milk. I was looking in the dairy case at the grocery store and this grass fed organic is selling for $8 or $9 a quart. People are really working this organic thing.

The profit margin of dairies is so thin they have to do anything they can. One thing about my heifer-- she does not carry organisms that are resistant to antibiotics. I asked them what do they do with cows with mastitis? He said we just put them on the truck.

Yesterday afternoon HoneyDew was having some kind of episode. I found her lying in the breezway of the barn with a high respiratory rate, a panting breath every 2 second like a woman does when in labor. She was making little mm mm sounds. Her vulva was spreading and all pink inside. I thought she was about to deliver.

I put her companion my old cow in the stall next to her for companionship. They can easily interact because it is made or corral panels. Honeydew I had made a box stall across from her deeply bedded with straw but she refused to go in there. So every 2 hours last night I went out to the barn check on her and I found her lying in the straw at 2am, no sign of membranes or calf hooves and not in apparent distress. At 4 am she was up and had stringy mucus on her vulva but no apparent distress. At 6 am she was lying in the straw chewing her cud.

Today she is like nothing ever happened. She is her usual cheerful self. I know that women have braxton hicks contractions. My husband was not excited he says the calf is just repositioning.

Yesterday afternoon HoneyDew was having some kind of episode. I found her lying in the breezway of the barn with a high respiratory rate, a panting breath every 2 second like a woman does when in labor. She was making little mm mm sounds. Her vulva was spreading and all pink inside. I thought she was about to deliver.

I put her companion my old cow in the stall next to her for companionship. They can easily interact because it is made or corral panels. Honeydew I had made a box stall across from her deeply bedded with straw but she refused to go in there. So every 2 hours last night I went out to the barn check on her and I found her lying in the straw at 2am, no sign of membranes or calf hooves and not in apparent distress. At 4 am she was up and had stringy mucus on her vulva but no apparent distress. At 6 am she was lying in the straw chewing her cud.

Today she is like nothing ever happened. She is her usual cheerful self. I know that women have braxton hicks contractions. My husband was not excited he says the calf is just repositioning.
When's her due date?
She was ai'd right?

When's her due date?
She was ai'd right?
She is due around May 20, bred AI to a Jersey named Stoney. He has over 4000 daughters. I'm as nervous as a grandma who's girl is fixing to have a baby. Ladies on the keeping a family cow board say this is normal for Jersey first calf heifers. One found her heifer lying flat on the ground moaning and then she popped up like nothing is happening. Another called an emergency vet to make a house call but nothing was wrong.
I'm keeping her in the yard so I can keep an eye on her.

I hear that a lot. Lets consider something.
Lets say they have 10 500lb calves to sell. Unweaned calves can loose up to 8 to 10% but lets use.6% to be conservative.
So thats 30 lb per calf times 10 calves so 300lb. Figured at $3 a lb thats $900. More than i make at work in a day. Many of them will take a days vacation to go fishing or hunting but not to haul and sell cattle.
I love buying the overnight calves.
In this part of the country, NE Iowa buyers will hammer day cattle. Bloomington even takes shrink off day fat cattle off your check. But overnight pens on feeders go to hay and water pens till about 4 am when they start sorting. I prefer to deliver cattle 36 hours prior to sale time. 12-16 hours seem to be the most shrink from cattle we have weighed.

I consider the behavior of your heifer perfectly normal... Yes, I agree that the calf is repositioning and it causes a little discomfort... I have seen discharge anywhere from 24 hours to 3 weeks prior to calving... Relax.... she will surprise you one morning with a new baby.... and all this worrying will be for nothing... Unless the calf tries to come out shaped like a round ball, there is no reason she should have any problems... she was bred jersey, it ought to not weigh more than 50-60 lbs and will dive right out without a second thought.

This 'false alarm' gives me more time to work on introducing the milking routine twice a day. You would not want to suddenly put a milking machine on a freaking out heifer that just calved. I have a Surge milking machine that hangs under the belly by a strap. Now she tolerates the pump noise, the surcingle over her back and the bucket with the toc toc toc sound of the pulsator. I do not attach to her teats of course. The last couple of trainings she just stands there chewing her cud. After this the equipment is removed and she lead away to her feed trough so this routine is something she looks forward to because feed is next.

Latest posts