Sell out prices

Help Support CattleToday:

I was going to sell 5 head two weeks ago because of very expensive hay costs, but ice storms got in the way. And now that I can see spring approaching and everyone selling, I'm keeping mine. They are all 6 months bred, so I'll pay.

Don't wait so late that you've physically worn yourself out too much to enjoy it.

Got the text summary of last month's MRI of my back. I see a neurologist tomorrow and my bone/joint doctor next week. Both appointments are in Temple and it's going to be a painful drive. The results don't look too good in my layman's eyes.
It has been a ;long arduous journey to try to get something done.

I first 'presented' to Baylor Scott and White here in Copperas Cove May 19 2022 with sciatica. Saturday will be 9 months. If I were a woman and had sex that day, I would have already carried to full term and dropped a kid. Tomorrow, I MAY finally find out what is wrong and get a plan of treatment. (probably not tho)

Seems to be something wrong in every joint between my neck and butt. The only good thing I see is that my back isn't broken anywhere..

FINDINGS: There is grade 1 anterolisthesis at L5-S1 measuring 9 mm. Suspected L5 pars defects. Partial osseous fusion of the L5-S1 disc space. There is otherwise mild multilevel disc degeneration with loss of disc space height and T2 signal. The vertebral body heights are maintained. The marrow signal intensity is normal. There is no evidence of acute fracture. The conus terminates at the L1 level and is normal in morphology. Cholelithiasis within the visualized gallbladder. The extraspinal soft tissues otherwise demonstrate no significant findings.

T12-L1: Small diffuse disc bulge. No central canal or foraminal stenosis.

L1-L2: Mild bilateral facet degeneration and small diffuse disc bulge. No central canal or foraminal stenosis.

L2-L3: There is moderate right and moderate left facet degeneration with thickening of ligamentum flavum. Diffuse disc bulge. Mild central canal narrowing with AP canal diameter of 10 mm. There is mild left-sided foraminal stenosis. No significant right foraminal stenosis.

L3-L4: Mild bilateral facet degeneration with thickening of the ligament of flavum. Diffuse disc bulge which is asymmetric to the right. Minimal narrowing of the right neural foramen. No significant left foraminal stenosis. There is mild central canal narrowing with AP canal diameter of 9 mm, with preferential narrowing of the right lateral recess.

L4-L5: Mild bilateral facet degeneration. Diffuse disc bulge osteophyte complex which is asymmetric to the right. There is mild narrowing of the right neural foramen. No significant left foraminal stenosis. No significant central canal stenosis. Interspinous abutment and degeneration is visualized posteriorly.

L5-S1: Grade 1 anterolisthesis as noted above. Mild bilateral facet degeneration. Uncovering of the posterior disc with a small diffuse disc bulge osteophyte complex. Moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis. No significant central canal stenosis.

IMPRESSION: 1. Grade 1 anterolisthesis at L5-S1 with suspected L5 pars defects. Partial osseous fusion of the L5-S1 disc space.
2. Additional multilevel degenerative changes as described in detail above

This ain't how I expected or hoped to spend my last years..
Then get to Dr. John Brimhall or Dr. Brett Brimhall - Colorado and Mesa,AZ respectively - surgery never was the answer - only a bandage that needs another surgery. Best of luck

Don't wait so late that you've physically worn yourself out too much to enjoy it.

Got the text summary of last month's MRI of my back. I see a neurologist tomorrow and my bone/joint doctor next week. Both appointments are in Temple and it's going to be a painful drive. The results don't look too good in my layman's eyes.

I first 'presented' to Baylor Scott and White here in Copperas Cove May 19 2022 with sciatica. Saturday will be 9 months. If I were a woman and had sex that day, I would have already carried to full term and dropped a kid. Tomorrow, I MAY finally find out what is wrong and get a plan of treatment. (probably not tho)

Seems to be something wrong in every joint between my neck and butt. The only good thing I see is that my back isn't broken anywhere..

FINDINGS: There is grade 1 anterolisthesis at L5-S1 measuring 9 mm. Suspected L5 pars defects. Partial osseous fusion of the L5-S1 disc space. There is otherwise mild multilevel disc degeneration with loss of disc space height and T2 signal. The vertebral body heights are maintained. The marrow signal intensity is normal. There is no evidence of acute fracture. The conus terminates at the L1 level and is normal in morphology. Cholelithiasis within the visualized gallbladder. The extraspinal soft tissues otherwise demonstrate no significant findings.

L1-L2: Mild bilateral facet degeneration and small diffuse disc bulge. No central canal or foraminal stenosis.

L2-L3: There is moderate right and moderate left facet degeneration with thickening of ligamentum flavum. Diffuse disc bulge. Mild central canal narrowing with AP canal diameter of 10 mm. There is mild left-sided foraminal stenosis. No significant right foraminal stenosis.

L3-L4: Mild bilateral facet degeneration with thickening of the ligament of flavum. Diffuse disc bulge which is asymmetric to the right. Minimal narrowing of the right neural foramen. No significant left foraminal stenosis. There is mild central canal narrowing with AP canal diameter of 9 mm, with preferential narrowing of the right lateral recess.

L4-L5: Mild bilateral facet degeneration. Diffuse disc bulge osteophyte complex which is asymmetric to the right. There is mild narrowing of the right neural foramen. No significant left foraminal stenosis. No significant central canal stenosis. Interspinous abutment and degeneration is visualized posteriorly.

L5-S1: Grade 1 anterolisthesis as noted above. Mild bilateral facet degeneration. Uncovering of the posterior disc with a small diffuse disc bulge osteophyte complex. Moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis. No significant central canal stenosis.

IMPRESSION: 1. Grade 1 anterolisthesis at L5-S1 with suspected L5 pars defects. Partial osseous fusion of the L5-S1 disc space.

Dang, GB, I hate to hear that. As you know, Mr. TC had a cervical and lumbar laminectomy, plus arthritis in his hips & shoulders. Not much they can do but I bought him a zero-gravity deep tissue/heat massage recliner. It's freakin' awesome! And it has 2 settings, so he can program for "flat out" or just watching TV with one touch of a button. Bonus for me, it's not the typical behemoth recliner and an eyesore;). Maybe something like that would help make your life more comfortable?

Good luck today GB.

No such luck today. The great and mighty, all seeing all knowing BS&White scheduling called late yesterday afternoon (3:35pm) to inform me that my 8am appointment with the neurologist today was cancelled because whoever in the scheduling dept that made the appointment so long ago made it with a neurologist that only sees patients sufferings from migraines. As I told the lady that called, just 16 hrs before my appointment time, I now fully understand what the BS in BS&W stands for and it ain't Baylor Scott. The original appoint that one of my PCPs here at BS & White Copperas Cove made back in November with a different neurologist was also cancelled by Scheduling and they replaced it with this one in early December.
I have only 2 real options here, BS&W or Advent. Neither have neurologists in Cove or in Killeen. Have to go into Temple, which is a 90 mile round trip.

Evidently, when I moved here late last spring and chose my healthcare provider, I chose poorly.

(very sorry for diluting this thread. I'm done in that regard)

if the cow prices keep on going way up it wouldnt be a bad idea to sell them all and either cut hay off your pasture land to sell or make a deal to run someone elses cows/stockers on your land and you take care of them for x dollars per head per month. maybe do that for a year or 2 until the market gets cheap and buy cows again

Goodness greybeard that is modern American medicine at its finest. As for choices there isn't much here with consolidation and the end of independent doctors. Its Sentara vs Valley Health. You got to wade through prescreen for your two minutes of facetime with a real doctor or nurse practioner. Is it any better in TX?

With the high prices, I've toyed with selling anything but precisely what I want and replacing with sheep.

Goodness greybeard that is modern American medicine at its finest. As for choices there isn't much here with consolidation and the end of independent doctors. Its Sentara vs Valley Health. You got to wade through prescreen for your two minutes of facetime with a real doctor or nurse practioner. Is it any better in TX?

With the high prices, I've toyed with selling anything but precisely what I want and replacing with sheep.
Cruises and vacations….

No such luck today. The great and mighty, all seeing all knowing BS&White scheduling called late yesterday afternoon (3:35pm) to inform me that my 8am appointment with the neurologist today was cancelled because whoever in the scheduling dept that made the appointment so long ago made it with a neurologist that only sees patients sufferings from migraines. As I told the lady that called, just 16 hrs before my appointment time, I now fully understand what the BS in BS&W stands for and it ain't Baylor Scott. The original appoint that one of my PCPs here at BS & White Copperas Cove made back in November with a different neurologist was also cancelled by Scheduling and they replaced it with this one in early December.
I have only 2 real options here, BS&W or Advent. Neither have neurologists in Cove or in Killeen. Have to go into Temple, which is a 90 mile round trip.

Evidently, when I moved here late last spring and chose my healthcare provider, I chose poorly.

(very sorry for diluting this thread. I'm done in that regard)
Gb i don't know if it works for you. It's not really different distance wise.
You will invariably find better health care services in the Georgetown,round rock area than Killeen, Temple. It did not used to be the case. But things have changed

With the current cattle prices and the uncertainty of costs to produce, if I was considering getting out in the near future, this would be the time.

Let the land rest and lease it out. Lock in your revenue and enjoy life.
I been around cattle all my life, been owning my own for well over 40 years.
My back is getting really bad and I'm thinking about letting my youngest son take it over.
He has a passion for it like I do.
I have a nice house in Leon county, and just built a new camp house in Coleman county, I been thinking about spending more time just going from one place to another and then back home instead of working all the time, it's going to be hard to let go.
My newest camp house in Coleman.

Attachments

• EA2C2C0C-49B7-476E-87F5-B3A9951B017D.jpeg
    EA2C2C0C-49B7-476E-87F5-B3A9951B017D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
  • 4C99DCBA-AD04-43B3-8478-05DCE6D36C68.jpeg
    4C99DCBA-AD04-43B3-8478-05DCE6D36C68.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
I been around cattle all my life, been owning my own for well over 40 years.
My back is getting really bad and I'm thinking about letting my youngest son take it over.
He has a passion for it like I do.
I have a nice house in Leon county, and just built a new camp house in Coleman county, I been thinking about spending more time just going from one place to another and then back home instead of working all the time, it's going to be hard to let go.
My newest camp house in Coleman.
Well, man, nobody says you can't put the boots back on and go get covered in cow crap for sport when you want to if you were to do that. And there ain't no law against staying cut in with him but letting younger hands do the lion's share of the work. Could always feed one out if you get the hankering to see one every day. You're blessed to have somebody who would take over, sadly that's a luxury for most nowadays. I'm pretty young yet, but I guess I'd rather hunt and fish if I was of really bad back than try and juke around fooling with stuff.

Also, very nice camp house. Deer camp or beer camp?

Well, man, nobody says you can't put the boots back on and go get covered in cow crap for sport when you want to if you were to do that. And there ain't no law against staying cut in with him but letting younger hands do the lion's share of the work. Could always feed one out if you get the hankering to see one every day. You're blessed to have somebody who would take over, sadly that's a luxury for most nowadays. I'm pretty young yet, but I guess I'd rather hunt and fish if I was of really bad back than try and juke around fooling with stuff.

Also, very nice camp house. Deer camp or beer camp?
I don't drink but my boys do, deer camp for me n the grandkids.
Yes we are very blessed, we worked hard but it paid off, I just had a really bad night last night and was thinking out load today, my son said he would gladly take over, but wants me to stay partners with him, like I said it would be hard to get away from it altogether.
I might change my mind, I have diverticulitis along with a bad back and haven't felt the best for the past couple of months.

I don't drink but my boys do, deer camp for me n the grandkids.
Yes we are very blessed, we worked hard but it paid off, I just had a really bad night last night and was thinking out load today, my son said he would gladly take over, but wants me to stay partners with him, like I said it would be hard to get away from it altogether.
I might change my mind, I have diverticulitis along with a bad back and haven't felt the best for the past couple of months.
Well, a partnership keeps you in it. I remember one day with my grandfather when I was about five years old watching The Cowboys, and in that one scene where the bulls are fighting and John Wayne says "young one's got more muscle, old one's got more experience" I asked him what it meant. He explained it. If he really wants to go whole hog into it, your mind is worth twice as much as an extra set of hands.

Latest posts